TBA Income & Accountability - Suggestion

If people dont care or have any idea of the benefits,it wont hurt them.
Great idea Max.Win Win situation.
Lets face it,it cant get any worse.

Has anyone seen the new information brochure from TBA that will be available in Centres I believe by Christmas that has attached the 2009 membership application form. Gives quite a bit of information about league bowling, benefits etc. Check it out on the TBA website. Looks a lot better than the flyer from last year which unfortunately most bowlers did not see as many Centres/League Secretaries did not give them out.

Melbourne bowlers be aware that the Local Association does not refer to the MTBA or CTBAM as they were both told they are no longer affiliated with the TBA. I also am aware that this was the stance taken by the TBA by all similar associations operating throughout Australia.

Both the MTBA & CTBAM are to operate independently of the TBA in 2009 and they both have set their registration fees at $15. No part of this money will be remitted to the TBA and therefore all bowlers bowling in either an MTBA or CTBAM registered league will then need to register with the TBA if they wish to bowl in TBA registered events.

I believe you will not be able to do so from any AMF centre as AMF has told the TBA that they will not collect fees for them. With this in mind I want to know then does this mean that I simply remit $50 for my Full Silver membership as the Centre is what the TBA refers to as a local association. As AMF is not collecting or want the $5 fee due to them I should not have to remit it.

What I want to know is how the TBA expect to survive without the 4000 odd members that will not be paying a membership this year from Melbourne. I know that my league will not worry about TBA registration as they have been sanctioning with the CTBAM for a long time. I suspect the same will happen with a lot of other leagues. I know some leagues who were going to go unregistered if either CTBAM or the MTBA were going to remain TBA affiliated however now most of them will now reregister with either the CTBAM or MTBA as they had previously done before.

On another note in attending the MTBA AGM on Sunday we all were made aware of the fact that talks are going on between the CTBAM and MTBA with a view to a possible merger in the future. A current CTBAM board member attended the MTBA AGM as an official observer. As it will be a genuine merger and not a takeover the newly named entitee will be able to help move bowling forward here in Victoria. Let's hope this does take place and they also look at talking to all other displaced associations around the country in order to give bowling a sound presence again.

Terry,

I am sure it was specifically noted at the MTBA AGM (as it was at the CTBAM AGM in November) that a "split" from TBA was not a desirable outcome, and that both associations want to see some unity in the sport. Being cast aside, was never going to be a win for anyone.

I also understand that VicTenpins the State Branch of TBA had their AGM on the weekend also. Is there anyone wanting to post some of the outcomes from that, as I know there was a pile of 'Notices of Motion' being put up there. One very interesting one which I was aware of was that VicTenpins close down handing all their assets to the National body - and set up just as a branch here (not a seperate entity as they are).

With 4,000 members from Victoria down - that is tens of thousands of revenue gone from TBA in 2009 isnt it??
The members of CTBAM will still get everything they previously did - awards patches, league stationery, etc - for their $15 adult, $10 Pensioners, $5 junior - fee.

The best thing for Victoria is the joining of the two Melbourne based associations CTBAM and MTBA. This has been a long time coming, and those that have worked behind the scenes on this so far, deserve huge congratulations.

V

just a question .......Will this "parting of the ways" also then influence State and National Teams eligibility and selection in Victoria, as bowlers are supposed to be participating in TBA accredited leagues and championships???

Bowlers who wish to bowl in TBA State Championships, National Rankings, or be eligible to any team selection will still need a separate TBA membership.

It is very important to note that both the CTBAM and MTBA were excluded from any ongoing relationship with TBA - that they have not walked away from the TBA. I know the CTBAM tried on several occasions to communicate with TBA.

I for one don't want to bag TBA, as like most people I believe there needs to be some unity and direction where everyone travels together - but when TBA dissolves the relationship with the two quite significant sized associations in Melbourne/Victoria, there are some significant questions needing to be asked. Does TBA think the centres will collect the fees?? Does TBA think that members (some that dont have internet access), will pay their memberships online?? Does TBA think centres will refuse leagues to bowl because they have not paid registration fees to TBA??

It will make for a very interesting 2009 - that is for sure.

V

Maybe I'm missing something here...Is there an actual need for spin-off associations such as the CTBAM or MTBA? What real purpose do they serve, other than to award "free" patches. stationary etc?

Personally, I just don't see the need...

Bowlers who wish to bowl in TBA State Championships, National Rankings, or be eligible to any team selection will still need a separate TBA membership.
V

Yes but surely TBA membership alone will not be enough?
As Broni points out, to be eligible for some of these events bowlers also have to have bowled x amount of games in an accredited League.
And it only takes one bowler to be unregistered for the League to be un-accredited..

And whilst everyone is challenging TBA about their membership fees, it would be interesting to know exactly what the Bowlers down South are getting for their $15 from MTBA and CTBAM.

Since when?
Since always Wayne.

RULE 313 ACCREDITATION PROCEDURE
The centre must be registered and in good standing with TBA and the lanes used for competition must have a current season TBA Regulation Bowling Lane Certificate posted in the establishment. The Regulation Bowling Lane Certificate procedure is detailed in the TBA Lane Accreditation Policy, available from www.tenpin.org.au. Go to the Policy section of the Web Site. A completed accreditation application form must be lodged with the Association or Registered Bowling Centre together with a copy of the league‟s Constitution and rules for that season. A complete listing of all players and their current individual TBA card numbers must be included. All players must be affiliated with TBA and financial members of the Local Association or Registered Bowling Centre (if applicable) before they are permitted to play as a regular member of the league, lest any points won by them may be forfeited.

Ok Andrew...I knew about that rule before this discussion. Guess what I should have said is that's just one more TBA rule that isn't enforced. Otherwise how do you explain why a 300 game bowled by a TBA member is recognised and eligible for a TBA 300 game award from one who is in an 'unaccredited' league according to rule 313?

Wayne I can only speak for my own local Association. If it was one of our Ashmore Leagues, it would not have been accredited and neither the League Secretary or the Area Secretary would have bothered to fill in any paperwork.
All our Leagues know that 100% membership is required for the accreditation.
The 300 you are talking about has as much credibility as Open Play.

Isnt this thread about TBA Income and Accountability??

What Terry highlighted is that the two associations CTBAM and MTBA have been "disowned" by TBA. They both paid tens of thousands of dollars of fees to TBA from the fees collected during 2008. So with those associations not collecting fees for TBA - less income to TBA.
There are only a few who are accountable for this move by TBA.

From what I know, it is not just these two associations who TBA are in the process of disowning, or telling how to run their associations, some associations who have been successful running for decades.

Will the TBA actually have the funding for a well paid CEO, and part time coach - or will they actually be run at a loss.

This site has more of your "competitive" bowler - who actually care about these registration things. Most bowlers in your average leagues dont really "care" about that side of the sport - they are more in social leagues, and these are the folk who dont care for state teams, or national selection - just your average joe. But these are the bowlers who pay the modest registration fee, and wonder what they get for it.

V

Back onto funding etc, has anyone done any sums?

How much does the TBA need? (Need, not want). Let's have a realistic and accountable figure rather than leaving it open ended - no coherent plan can be formulated unless a definite goal is in mind.

One million hey...
So are they hoping to raise that by doing chook raffles??

If TBA were serious about this new direction thing then would they not be inclusive of associations with thousands of members, and be sourcing feedback via sites like this. Dont believe the CEO is even a member here. Some board members are though, and I bet they read everything here.

How many CEO's have been tried?? If it all does not work this time, what then?? No TBA - no board members, no National Body / NSO.
How many associations/organisations have the capabilities of picking up and running bowling when the TBA fail this time. There are hundreds of bowlers who arent "registered" bowlers now, in 2009 there is going to be even more.

V

Ok then. Have each centre that wants to host sanctioned leagues/competitions etc pay an annual registration fee.

The money could then be recouped by dividing the annual fee by the number of games played at that centre.

There would have to be certain levels though - one wouldn't expect Pt Pirie or Murray Bridge to pay the same overall fee as, say, Noarlunga. Maybe organise it on a lanes per centre basis - say 10 and under, 12 - 18, 20 - 26 and 28+

Just an idea. Dunno if it's workable though - I'll leave that up to those in the know.

Do you seriously think a lot of centres care about a league being sanctioned or not?? to them it is people paying...

TBA used to have a lane levy if you remember back not very long, and most centres would pay the minimum they had to - they are a business after all.

Do you think all the Strike style (nightclub bowling alleys), pay or are likely to pay any fees to TBA. Not on your life.

V

Back
Top Bottom