TBA fails us again

OK, for an example the TEAM USA concept was born 20+ yrs ago, many other countries have had squad type systems for a while. We have had squads too starting from oohh 1998 from memory. I think what the bowers want in this country is a a system where they can nominate for national youth and adult squads well in advance(or for a 2 yr period too maybe) and have that system stay in place for a long amount of time. I'm sure Aussie bowlers would love to come through the ranks and know what it takes to achieve national reperesentation and have that system in place for many years so they know where they stand

Another issue that is never addressed either is accountability of performances. What happens when a team bowls badly? Is the trip reviewed? Are the bowlers and coaching staff scrutinised? Do we learn from our mistakes and put in place strategies to make us better? I suspect not, its all swept under the carpet.

How are we to get better if we don't learn from our mistakes and put in place strategies for the future? Someone needs to be accountable.....

With all due respect to all posters. The bowlers knew they were bowling a lot longer time ago than everyone appears to think.

Glen Loader qualified either first or second to represent Victoria at Rachuig but due to the Commonwealth event withdrew a fair way out from the Nationals. I think you all should do a bit of fact finding before you start posting about quick decisions.

Terry I think you should get your facts right.... I was contacted on September 19th by TBA in regards to representing Australia for the Commonwealth Champs, after I decline, Belmo said no and so on.

The deadline for countries to submit if they were attending the championship was JUNE 30!

Even if Glen, Andrew and the team found out in late September (giving them 8 weeks notice) what strategies to TBA put in place to help prepare these athletes for International competition? Was the lane conditions researched? How many training camps were run where bowlers could practice on short and long patterns? What lane surface were they going to be bowling on? Did they practice on Kegel short and long patterns? 8 weeks is a joke.

Here are the obvious points....

IF TBA responded before the International deadline we would have had a team picked in June. This would have given TBA sufficient time to co-ordinate training sessions assisting bowlers in their preparation for the Championship. TBA had the hide to ignore the deadline completely and then apply for an exemption to the CTBF, again leaving things to the last minute.

This is TBA's problem, leave things to the last minute, put a bandaid on a huge problem and then sweep things under the carpet when things turn bad.

Anyone from TBA care to get on here and explain why Australia didn't submit an application prior to June 30?

Fair enough George but you could give people a years notice and it doesn't guarantee they are prepared for an event.

Hi All,

As one of the coach's for the last couple of Australian Youth teams I can comment on a couple of points.

The last 2 trips we were able to get most of the team together at least once prior to leaving for a training camp. For worlds we managed 2 camps for most of the team. These camps were funded by the bowlers and my centre Holiday Lanes hosted them free of charge. The team were accomadated at our house to further reduce costs. There just wasn't the funding or the time to do anything else. All bowlers stretched themselves to attend.

The results at worlds in my opinion were not what they could have been, we were in contention for finals several times only to fall short of the line. I believe these results could have been a lot better with a better prepared team. We just made to many simple mistakes when it counted, and the only way to reduce this is preperation. Having said this everyone pushed themselves during the available preperation period and at the training camps, but as has already been pointed out you simply need more time to prepare effectivly. Please remember that we all did our best with the available time and funding, and I am certain that for a period of time it was doubtfull we would even send a team. With this in mind the performances of all involved including TBA needs to be considered by all as a positive one.

Coaches do need to submit a report post competition to the CEO and I know that this is reported to the board, and to their credit I had one board member speak with me regarding the report in an effort to gain knowledge for the future. The Youth Worlds team were also asked by me to submit a report on their own and the coaches performance back to the coaches. We all need to be able to learn from our expieriences.

I can't speak for what other teams do but I hope this helps answer some of the questions raised here.

Regards
James

Terry
I think you will find Glen withdrew from Rachuig because of Worlds NOT Commonwealth. Kind of makes your comment on fact finding all the more amusing dont you think? :)

In regards to having a prepared team. Having more notification will help a team be more prepared. It wouldn't ensure they will perform, but it will give them a better chance of being able to do so. Preparation and performance are two different things.

Hi All,
Please remember that we all did our best with the available time and funding, and I am certain that for a period of time it was doubtfull we would even send a team. With this in mind the performances of all involved including TBA needs to be considered by all as a positive one.
James

Precisely.

Hi All,

The results at worlds in my opinion were not what they could have been, we were in contention for finals several times only to fall short of the line. I believe these results could have been a lot better with a better prepared team. We just made to many simple mistakes when it counted, and the only way to reduce this is preperation. Having said this everyone pushed themselves during the available preperation period and at the training camps, but as has already been pointed out you simply need more time to prepare effectivly. Please remember that we all did our best with the available time and funding, and I am certain that for a period of time it was doubtfull we would even send a team. With this in mind the performances of all involved including TBA needs to be considered by all as a positive one.

James

Precisely!!!!!!!!

It's all well and good to sit there and tell whinging bowlers to come up with a solution themselves. Why should they have to? What's the TBA for? Why won't they face the music on this forum and answer some of the questions being asked? What are they afraid of? It's up to the TBA to come up with solutions, not the bowlers. That's why they're there. The bowlers do their part by competing week in week out. An expensive exercise. Now they're expected to come up with the answers as well. Disband the TBA and let the bowlers take control of their sport.

Not much has changed in my 38 years in the sport except things appear to be worse off than ever before.

Again, its not the talent... its who can afford to be in the team and who can come up with the money at the last minute.. same goes for shield.
Massive shame really.

Again, its not the talent... its who can afford to be in the team and who can come up with the money at the last minute.. same goes for shield.
Massive shame really.

Im sorry AH1992 but as a member of one of the teams that is being focused on in this thread i would TOTALLY disagree with that statement.

The Worlds Team I went to Orlando with was comprised of 7 members from the Youth Team that competed in China in 2007. So for this to happen is obviously it was pure luck that 7 players were able to come up with this money at the last money. It COULDNT have anything to do with the fact that their performances in China and at the selection camp were good enough or that they actually deserved it, or that they have performed well during their bowling careers.

Sure there may have been some bowlers who didnt roll-off for either of these teams because they couldnt afford it, but that is a choice that they made.

Whom ever you are getting your information from about these bowlers is unfortunately misinforming you.

Thanks

Unfortunately there will always be this perception out there that affordability will outweigh ability on this issue until such a time as the governing body of this sport presents sufficient funding to support the bowlers who are selected in ALL representative teams.

The single biggest issue for any aspiring bowler in the current climate is cold hard cash and this is the cold harsh facts. Money drives us around as it is the be all when it comes to competing at any event. If you dont have the cash, you dont have the chance!

I am not saying by this post that money overrides talent, but it is a deciding factor here. If you dont have this resource it does make it very difficult but i certainly dont agree that ability isnt the 1st consideration when selectors sit down at the table and pick these teams.

There are also political perception as well, but you get that when you mix money (lack of) and no structure like George has stated previously. People, there are many issues in bowling right now, and the reasons these have escalated is due to the fact nobody from the TBA is steering the ship here and come forward through any avenue to explain what is being done to make things better.

It's all a great shame really.

Unfortunately there will always be this perception out there that affordability will outweigh ability on this issue until such a time as the governing body of this sport presents sufficient funding to support the bowlers who are selected in ALL representative teams.

The single biggest issue for any aspiring bowler in the current climate is cold hard cash and this is the cold harsh facts. Money drives us around as it is the be all when it comes to competing at any event. If you dont have the cash, you dont have the chance!

I am not saying by this post that money overrides talent, but it is a deciding factor here. If you dont have this resource it does make it very difficult but i certainly dont agree that ability isnt the 1st consideration when selectors sit down at the table and pick these teams.

There are also political perception as well, but you get that when you mix money (lack of) and no structure like George has stated previously. People, there are many issues in bowling right now, and the reasons these have escalated is due to the fact nobody from the TBA is steering the ship here and come forward through any avenue to explain what is being done to make things better.

It's all a great shame really.

Precisely!!! <- Hey I missed all the excitement earlier, so had to get in on the fun. ;) :D.

I do fully support Jason's statement.

Im sorry AH1992 but as a member of one

So for this to happen is obviously it was pure luck that 7 players were able to come up with this money at the last money.

Sure there may have been some bowlers who didnt roll-off for either of these teams because they couldnt afford it, but that is a choice that they made.

Hmmmmm. Strong points put money there. I, unlike others, money see where your money from!

Let me understand what you're saying here, as an analogy. ...

[Disclaimer] This is a work of fiction, any resemblance to any persons, living or dead, is purely coincidental. Also, all voices are impersonated ... poorly. ;) [/Disclaimer]

I come from a relatively poor family, and I enjoyed school, neigh, I really loved it. It was better than living in the hovel that I chose to live in with my family - you see, the school had running water and sewage disposal systems, If I can remember right they used to call them tomlets or toilets or something similar to that anyways.

Society has progressed to a technological extent now, that all school handbooks state quite clearly and definitively; "A prerequisite of a successful schooling outcome, technology is a required resource". As my family could not afford a calculator, let alone a computer I therefore chose, neigh I DEMANDED, that I not purchase the so called "required" technology.

Without the technology at my fingers, as 98.8% of the rest of the children at the school were able to obtain. I chose to get lower grades than 89% of the class. Subsequently, I then chose to not go on to further education as I did not have the grades to go to TAFE let alone University.

I then chose to live out the statistically short, yet somewhat humiliating life inside your trash can, as, by choice, I was regarded 'not edumacated enough' to obtain or retain gainful employment. Therefore by choice I was unable to purchase what most people liked to call 'a home'.

P.S. The garlic bread that you used to have every Saturday night was heaven, it gave me reason to cling on to life throughout the rest of the week. Cheers!

;) might stop now as I think most of you would have got my point by now.

Cheers,

Rhyss.

Tenpin bowling is not much different from any other sport. Unless you have the money you will find it extremely difficult to reach the top levels. From footballers, golfers, croquet players, swimmers etc. all are required to compete at club levels to start (own cost). If you are good enough you may make a state team (mostly own cost). Usually all training, equipment, coaching etc till now are at your own cost and involve substantial time, travel and effort. For those fortunate to catch someones eye or those rare extremely talented sportsperson you may pick up a personal sponsor along the way but this usually only happens once you are at a national level.

Then to make it to the international arena again it is mostly your own money that gets you there. Succeed and you at last may get something back financially but for the rare few in high profile sports the financial rewards are minimal. How many members in the lower sports ie kayaking, archery, volleyball, table tennis have made a financial gain from their sport?
Most have to pay their own way to international events with minimum support from their National sporting body.

Unfortunately it is a fact of life. Money does make the world go round. Most bowlers make financial sacrifices to pursue their sport and it is their choice to do so.

It will be interesting to see how the new TBA Board handles such teams in the future and it is only fair to give them a chance to prove themselves.

Im sorry AH1992 but as a member of one of the teams that is being focused on in this thread i would TOTALLY disagree with that statement.

The Worlds Team I went to Orlando with was comprised of 7 members from the Youth Team that competed in China in 2007. So for this to happen is obviously it was pure luck that 7 players were able to come up with this money at the last money. It COULDNT have anything to do with the fact that their performances in China and at the selection camp were good enough or that they actually deserved it, or that they have performed well during their bowling careers.

Whom ever you are getting your information from about these bowlers is unfortunately misinforming you.

Thanks

yeah well if someone has an opinion on the subject you don't have the right to single that person out, say they are wrong...he is right, money is a big factor in this game..if you can't do it one year due to lack of dosh wait til next time.

Most bowlers around will tell you that they can't afford to compete at this level BECAUSE of the money, and that can't be helped. This is not classed as a decision made by that person.

If for some reason they decided to make the qualifying for this event free for one time, you'd see alot of good bowlers rise to this occasion, but we all know this is a ridiculous proposition which will never happen.

How you can go and tell someone they are wrong because of their opinion on a certain topic is just a cold act

All this aside . There is one person in this country with years of experience in drilling ,lane conditions, tactics, coaching ,and may i say not bad at bowling either, that can maybe bring something to the table as say maybe adviser,co-ordinator bla bla bla and his name MR Chris BATSON

Back
Top Bottom