Why should I pay $55 to bowl league?

The ATBC had 120,000 members at it's peak Terry - you are correct on two very critical points. Things have indeed changed a great deal, as the number above underscores - and next, if some of theose who has gained something by association with this sport chip in just as you will do, then maybe it will help a little...if a lot of people get involved it will surely help a great deal. Nice thought Terry - I'll follow your lead...and rattle a few cages as well. Best for 2009.

I only bowl 2 or 3 majors a year.
Coachers? We pay for this when it is avilable.And most of the time the top coachers are not their for the bowlers who need it only their pets.
R & D what this?
To make a internation team, pig my fly before that ever happens. You can win all the time and still not make it. aka george
Funding for rep teams. Each time i have made a rep side it has been self funded.

TBA give me break.

IMO
Shaun

Whilst I have highlighted Shaun's message above, I just want to make it clear that I am not singling out Shaun.
His above message I am sure are the feelings of some other bowlers from around the country.
I highlighted it because I want to use his words as an example.

Most bowlers who post here are not rookies. Many have seen our governing body change from its highs to its current low.
What people do with their own $55 is their own business. If you don't want to support the governing body then that is your choice.
What I dont really understand is why these people feel the need to try and rally support for negative thinking.
If you don't like it, I have no problems with that. But trying to convince others for some kind of justification that your thoughts are right..... well that just confuses me.

Bowling has taken me around the world, but it all started back in OZ. If contributing as a member is a way to help younglings (or late bloomers) to achieve their dreams of traveling with a few balls, representing their state/country and being able to find decent coaching, $55 then is but a small membership fee to create some cash flow for TBA to use.

TBA may not be where we would all want it to be right now, but as long as there is a small beep on TBA's heart monitor i'll continue to have hope that one day (hoping its sooner rather than later) that a topic on this website will be created entitled "Waiting lists for Rep. roll offs" rather than "Die TBA Die" (sorry for the dramatization there :) )

What I dont really understand is why these people feel the need to try and rally support for negative thinking.
If you don't like it, I have no problems with that. But trying to convince others for some kind of justification that your thoughts are right..... well that just confuses me.

)

Great post Jason.
I guess the answer is its much easier to be negative/*****/moan than to be positive/constructive. ( hang on.....is this a negative post?. Two negatives make a positive, right?;) )
I'll be paying my registration next year and if i don't anything back....then so be it and i'll be happy as long as it keeps our sport/governing body alive for another year.

I'll be paying my $27.50, bowl once a week, have the opportunity to represent my State at Nationals and can compete in any ranked event I choose, any high scores etc will be officially recognised by my sports governing body. If my league team is successful we get free champion chevrons and I wont be paying the $55 as I do not intend to represent Australia in a National team. And for the $27.50 I have insurance cover for serious injury while I am bowling (still waiting for more details on this though). Pretty cheap membership for all this when compared to most other sports.

what happens if you win the SPC and you only paid your $27.50 - do you still get to represent Australia ???

....can compete in any ranked event I choose, any high scores etc will be officially recognised by my sports governing body. If my league team is successful we get free champion chevrons....
I wonder what the high score situation would be if you have paid yet the remainder of your league has not? Or maybe where a 4-man team win their league but only two of them have paid up.

what happens if you win the SPC and you only paid your $27.50 - do you still get to represent Australia ???

Ha Ha, good call!

What would happen in this case?
Would you be told to pay up the remainder or *cough* *cough* TBA pay it for you?

Maybe they'll give a box of chocolates that you can sell to fund raise the shortfall! ;)

The prize for SPC is just that - the WINNERS' prize. TBA don't select bowlers to bowl in that tournament, and they certainly don't pay out the money to send the winner to the World Champs. It comes down to the same personal choice of ANY ranked event in the country - bowl in it if you want to, and collect your booty at the end of it, regardless of what tier of membership you have.

Ha Ha, good call!

What would happen in this case?
Would you be told to pay up the remainder or *cough* *cough* TBA pay it for you?

Maybe they'll give a box of chocolates that you can sell to fund raise the shortfall! ;)

Here we go again, round and round in damn circles................

If we pay the $55.00 or better still, $1.00 every time we play league - there can be no argument, and we won't have people showing a lack of respect toward those in charge.

Max

I have found in bowling there are more whinging than praising. the lanes, the centres not supporting league bowlersand so on. We readily throw money at skins and other such tournaments.and don't batter an eyelid if we don't get any return. So why cry at $55.00 come on. Pay your money and get behind the T.B.A. and maybe just maybe we might have goals set that are archievable and affordable.

The TBA, ABPA, AMF Australia, Goldpin, and all the other 'big players' within the Australian tenpin industry have done a great job over the years. We should all thank them for sustaining the sport in our country.

i have a question - the reply might be useful to other seniors.

Do Seniors who have nominated to go to Manilla have to pay the higher membership fee or not? Obviously each nominee wishes to represent Australia, however the seniors dont really go through a selection process or development camp. Each nominee has paid $150 to nominate.

I may be wrong, (usually am) - I am not complaining about having to pay extra, just need to know where we stand before our league restarts so I pay the right amount.:confused:

Here you go Josie, straight off the registration form:

SILVER MEMBERSHIP

The Silver membership fee is offered to TBA members
who wish to participate in athlete development
programs and be eligible for selection for international
team representation.
Through this commitment, TBA Silver members will benefit
from the additional services provided by the National
Sporting Organisation. Over the next 12 months TBA will
implement a number of strategies that targets our high-end
bowlers, such as:
• Access to Athlete Development Clinics across Australia
• Development programs for National Training Squads in
preparation for international team selection.
Given that additional benefits are still being developed
it has been decided that for the 2009 year the Silver
membership card will be compulsory for all TBA members
who nominate for national team selection at any
international event where TBA is responsible for sending
individuals or teams.
Examples of such events include:
• Asian Zone and WTBA World Youth Championships
• Asian Zone and WTBA World Adult Championships
Asian Zone Senior Championships
• Asian Zone Schools Championships
• Commonwealth Tenpin Bowling Federation Championships

The prize for SPC is just that - the WINNERS' prize. TBA don't select bowlers to bowl in that tournament, and they certainly don't pay out the money to send the winner to the World Champs. It comes down to the same personal choice of ANY ranked event in the country - bowl in it if you want to, and collect your booty at the end of it, regardless of what tier of membership you have.

Just a question, does TBA have anything to do with the AMF World cup?

If so, then the winner of SPC represents this country (aka. George) in that event and by the TBA brochure then you will be required to hold silver membership. If not, then hey there is no problem!

I did not state that TBA pays for anyone to compete, how could they with the structure that has been in place. Hopefully this is the starting point to help TBA help Australian bowlers in the future I have stated that in previous posts. I will not even look at Aus squads but will pay my dues. I have from day dot.

Here we go again, round and round in damn circles................

If we pay the $55.00 or better still, $1.00 every time we play league - there can be no argument, and we won't have people showing a lack of respect toward those in charge.

Max

Come on Max ... do not have a funny bone? All that was said was in jest. Where is the lack of respect?

Oh no, some people might have taken me seriously so I'll just clarify, no I do not expect people to sell chocolates to fund raise the extra 27.50 to make up the $55.00. (SHOCKING I KNOW!!!!:eek:) :surrender:

P.S. If you read previous posts I have supported the fee structure and your idea of minimal fee payment during general league play.

*Fingers crossed* I promise not to joke at TBA's expense from now on (as to not upset those who find it hard to look on the bright side of life every now and then */fingers crossed*

Cheers.

Given that additional benefits are still being developed
it has been decided that for the 2009 year the Silver
membership card will be compulsory for all TBA members
who nominate for national team selection at any
international event where TBA is responsible for sending
individuals or teams.Examples of such events include:
• Asian Zone and WTBA World Youth Championships
• Asian Zone and WTBA World Adult Championships
• Asian Zone Senior Championships
• Asian Zone Schools Championships
• Commonwealth Tenpin Bowling Federation Championships

Bron, I had read the criteria, however we all interpret rules differently. Can I assume then that every person who becomes part of the Manilla team will have paid the silver fee? I do sincerely hope so.

In the past senior tournaments have not always been recognised as an "official" Asian Zone tournament and therefore may not fit the criteria.

you are right in saying everyone's interpretations differ.......the way I read it, it is pretty well cut and dried.

Perhaps June might like to clarify the Seniors' membership requirement for the Manila bound seniors, as I am merely a bystander (and an underage one at that!) as far as the seniors go.......:)

There should only be one fee. The whole point of selecting players to represent Australia is to select the best player(s). These bowlers should be selected from the entire pool of bowlers not just a minority pool who pay $55 for the priviledge. Who knows a new bowler may come along bowl in tournaments for the first time and win everything. They are clearly the best bowler in the country but can't represent Australia because at the start of the year they didn't pay $55 because they had no idea that they had any chance of achieving the dream of playing for their country.

I know I'm one of many who'll say this.

I'm saying this for no other reason other than that I hope, like many others, to see the TBA with a bright and buzzing future. I will be paying the membership fee and supporting them. I'm doing so because I, like many others, want to be able to go many places and achieve many things in the sport I love so much. I believe things can most definetly change and prosper for the TBA. I wish them good luck for the present and the future.

Hooroo

Rowey :p

In regard to the Seniors National Team, Broni is right, the successful team members will need to pay the higher membership. At this time there has never been a development camp for this event but if everyone embraces the membership scheme in all centres then of course Seniors coaching and development and financial assistance to travel becomes a reality.
The $150 nomination fee is for the actual fee that must be paid to the Tournament organisers as a player registration fee, TBA do not make any money from this and unsuccessful applicants will be reimbursed all monies they paid to nominate. I cleared this with both Chairperson and CEO at the Nationals in October and advised all those bowlers who asked the question.
Hope this helps
June Voukolos

Back
Top Bottom