Why o Why

M

makka

Was just wondering. Is there any reason why i keep leaving the 5-10 split from seemingly good pocket balls. I know we all get them but i seem to leave it more than not. Really annoying when you get on a bag then leave that

Makka,

I am assuming that leaving 5-10 splits from "Good Pocket" shots, means you are a lefty.

The 5-10 was a split left frequently back in the old urethane days, especially by people like myself who didn't have a lot of natural power eg Carl Bottomley, Andrew Drew etc.

Since the inception of reactive balls it has allowed the strokers to compete on a more equal footing with the power players.

Back to your problem though, if you are leaving this then it means your shot lacks power and drive in the pocket, this could be caused by you bowling the ball too fast thus deflecting off the pins or you may need to lift the ball/rotate your wrist more.It could even be that you ball is drilled in correctly.

If you bowl fast try slowing down, and if not try giving the ball a bit of extra finger lift. Have you got a coach ?? If not try and get one as they could certainly help over come your problem. I know a really good level 2 coach, but unfortunately he is up here in Townsville.

Anyway best of Luck and I hope in the near future to hear how you are ripping racks and that 5-10's are a distant memory.

Cheers

Steve Hunt
icon_cool.gif

Makka,

Do you bowl conventional or fingertip ? How long have you been bowling ? etc etc give us some more details
icon_smile.gif

Graham,

Ive been bowling for 5 years, for the last 2 years ive been bowling fingertip. I currently hold a 193 average at Werribee. Yes unfortunately i am left handed which makes it damm hard for people to try and teach me anything, Ive never had a profesional lesson and most of the things i know were taught to me by a good friend of mine Squizzy Taylor.So any help watsoever would be great.
Cheers

Makka

Makka - The problem you are describing is simply - "pocket hit - centre pins standing" This is a classic problem and the answer lies with the equipment you are using combined with an oil condition pattern(normally carry down). When oil is carried further down the lane and you are using a ball with positive side weight the ball is drawn in the 'opposite' direction to the normal pin and ball deflection experienced when the back end is cleaner and sharper. You did not mention the type of equipment you are using nor describe what type of bowler you are - There are many techniques you could use to overcome this pin leave but the simplest coping strategy is to simply change ball - Choose a ball that will tilt earlier (has negative forces)the type of ball surface that suits (see your local Pro shop for advice) and a ball that will continue to drive at the pocket. I hope you continue to enjoy your bowling.
Best Regards
Gail Torrens

All good theories

Perhaps get a coach and get some serious training done, wouldnt take much, also get yourself on video with so you and your coach can see together and discuss what your about to change and reasons behind it

Hey Gail do me a favour and say hello to the old bugger Ian Fowler at the federation for me, tell him I cant find his email address and wuold he drop me a line, as I am about to start a program over here for the Vision Impaired, i think he would be interested

GIDDY UP!!!!!

If you are a right handed bowler, but reverse hook, you will have problems.

If you are full roller, left handed or a righty you will have problems.

If you are a low track player,ie spinner you will have problems. These comments refer to modern lane finishes and newer oils.

The type of (plastic, urethane, reactive, pro active) ball you throw has a big bearing.

So does the condition of the pin decks in your centre.

More info and I will give you a hand if you like.

Back
Top Bottom