Why are so many 5-7-10 being left these days???

Muels1

The Chosen One
Tonight at Werribee Craig O'Toole left one of those magical combinations that we are more commonly seeing time and time again ... a wonderful 5-7-10 out of a decent pocket hit. To make things worse a game later in the tenth frame another 5-7-10 stood bowled by Craig only this time a soft 10 pin tap carried it leaving just a the 5-7.

My question is this ...... Why all of a sudden are so many people leaving 5-7-10 splits so often??? I thought the game was getting made so much easier and everyone is being able to carry so much more now but still the horror stands up.
Please people give me some feed back. Bowlers of all levels are leaving this too often and i dunno how and why.

Catch Muels

It's the result of big entry angle, easily obtainable for all in these days of hook in a box marvels, and the deflection that you still get with a no rev shot. Pre resin, it would just be a 5-7; either becasue of no revs, no backend or rollout, a slightly light ball defelcts enough to miss the 5 pin. Wit the bigger entry angles these days, you leave the 10 with it.
Unless the backends are lakes, no-one with a half decent release should ever leave one.

Robbie, I agree that the new "hook in a box" balls cause it, when used on a condition that doesn't match up.

Other reasons that can leave it, are greasy backends, pinspotting off )only needs to be a 1/2"), loose pinspots on the pindeck and the biggest cause if one particular lane leaves a large number, is having the back of the pin deck lower than the front. That causes the ball to get airborne, and causes it to deflect a lot more,

Yep, off spot pins can definitely make a 5-7-10 more likely, and I'd be blaming that if one lane consistently leaves them, rather than deck slope. As for the ball getting airborne, that can happen with badly ski-sloped splices (look for the burn marks just past the first splice) but for mine if only the deck is sloped down, the increase in deflection is simply caused by the ball running 'downhill' suddenly. Deck slope is one area that can have a dramatic effect on scoring - even a slight front to back slope can generate a lot of tenpins.

Yeah that last answer from Robbie and Andrew seems like the most probable cause - I seem to remember that Lanes 3-4 (and in particular Lane 3) were the scene of dozens of 5-7-10's at Moonah in the late 1980's and well in to the 90's - particularly more so than any other pair.
I saw many players with big shots leave them on that pair - I could name (and embarrass :lol: ) those that left them - but I won't.

I used to throw the ball extremely fast - that was one reason why I used to leave a lot of them, now I roll the ball a lot slower and with the combination of old lanes, wet backends and dry heads (ball roll's out at the arrows and skids the last 20 feet) that has been one reason as to why the recent influx of 5-7-10's at Moonah.
After all, I was told by a mechanic tonight that Moonah applied URGENTLY for lane-cleaner on October 4th this year.......still waiting :cry:
There's a variety of reasons for it though.

Well thanks for the replys everyone. To fill u in with a bit more info on it coz i really wanna rub it in to him as he is my bowling partner on Tuesday nights. It was bowled at Werribee (where they have a Kegel) and the backends seemed a little bit greasy on this particular night and it was bowled with i think its a TRIMAX (the blueish purple coloured ball in that series) and he doesn't through a huge hook. Just a nice consistant 10 board hook slightly into the pocket at a reasonable pace (around the high 27's to low 28kms)

i'll go with androooos cause of pindeck tilt unless of course it happened across the house. then you would be looking at different causes.
cobow :)

Back
Top Bottom