7-9 split

N

Numbat24

I know I should post this in the Coaching forum, but it takes too long to get a reply there. Anyway, I just bought a new 13 pound Brunswick Quantum ball, and can bowl a fairly good hook ball. When I was bowling in league however, I was consistently leaving splits. I bowled a seemingly flawless hook, with plenty of late hook and forward roll, which hit the right pocket. But I always seem to leave the same split: the 7-9 split. This happened at least 4 times in one game. I was also leaving alot of other miscellaneous split combinations. What could be the main cause of this? When I bowled a 'spinner' ball with my old plastic ball I rarely left such splits, and I seemed to have been getting more strikes too.

Well there could be many reasons...if you are hitting to high into the pocket and driving the deck then that could be causing a lot of your problems....the same way as driving the deck too low can. Sometimes it's just plain bad luck. Just keep at it, adjusting your angle of entry and stuff...speed is also a major factor...so play around with changing your angle of entry, line and speed and see how it goes.

Hope I helped a little bit. :)

Re

Since I am not as bowling-literate as you, could u explain what the term 'driving too high or low' means, and basically explain it in plain terms. thanks.

Well basically you are getting hook on the ball and it appears to be coming up well into the pocket, but it is not quite enough to be a really snug pocket shot. That is what a low pockt shot is. Driving low is basically when the ball grips and hooks with a lot of energy and hits hard into the deck...but because you are coming in too light on the pocket you are driving the ball straight through the deck and leaving the 7-9. Maybe moving a bit on the lane or the approach might help you solve this problem.

Hope I helped a little bit. :)

That was a little confusing, when you start talking about low and high i would associate that with carry. You should have been saying light, flush or high pocket. That would have explained things alittle better.

im going to dissagree with you thought, if you continue to bowl the 7-9, much the same as with an 8-10 your ball is probably rolling out. It sounds a lot like the ball is hitting alittle high but not having the carry to trip the 7 (ie the 4 pin is just laying in the gutter). Either way it sounds like it just doesnt have anything on the ball when it hits the pins.

Might need alittle more info such as your ball speed and what hand you bowl with.

Just on your other splits, what others are you leaving? if you are hitting the pocket light, i would suspect you might be leaving a few 2-8-10's?

Re:

I am left-handed, and I usually bowl on the left side of the lane fairly close to the gutter, letting the ball hook from there. I don't leave any specific spares, but i often leave the 7 pin. Often when I bowl the ball just seems to 'cut' into the middle of lane, leaving the 7-9. I don't crank the ball very much, but I don't bowl slow either.

Back
Top Bottom