Why is everyone so depressingly agreeable?

Jim

When did the change of entity of ATBC to TBA happen - what year I mean and was it undertaken at a Board meeting of the then ATBC or by a full AGM [specially called or otherwise]? I was living overseas during this period and have no idea of the specifics - which would be of interest.

Thx in advance

Wow, can of worms this subject !

Jim

When did the change of entity of ATBC to TBA happen - what year I mean and was it undertaken at a Board meeting of the then ATBC or by a full AGM [specially called or otherwise]? I was living overseas during this period and have no idea of the specifics - which would be of interest.

Thx in advance

Hi Steve, got to go to Brisbane shortly. Get back to you - probably to-morrow.
Regards....Jim.

IF only we could go back to the Good old days of the ATBC and 120,000 members, PLEASE !!!!

Could be achieved if those remaining in the sport have the desire to change those factors which caused the problems.
I have the road map, very few are interestd

Jim

Thx in advance

Steve, what I believe I can write about this is somewhat restricted. I could talk much more freely should we ever meet. I have retained no records of the events of the time ( after a couple of moves ). Additionally, my memory is not as sharp as it once was.
It all started when I was elected to the board of the local association, which, at the time had the reputation of being rather a 'closed shop'. I queried some of the actions and policies which were then current, and was met with a 'brick wall', which only increased my pursuit of some 'openness'.
As my research continued, I had reason to query some finance management and reporting. Apart from what appeared to be questionable use of members money by some office bearers, I could not satisfactorilly account for what appeared to be a shortage of some tens of thousands of dollars.
My queries locally were completely fruitless, leaving me no option but to put the matter before the ATBC. To my genuine surprise, I was immediately confronted by an even higher and thicker brick wall, coming from the top echelons of ATBC. Unlikely as I found it, it rarher seemed like a conspiracy.
I believe this was 1998, and the ATBC Annual General Meeting was coming up on the Gold Coast.
I managed to be elected as the association's delegate to the AGM.

I examined carefully the financial report for the AGM, and found several questionable entries. Additionally, I found that the auditors 'disclaimer' was worded in a fashon that I had never seen before. In effect, it really did not confirm that it could certify the accuracy of the accounts.

I raised these matters, and the meeting, from memory, resolved that the matters be investigated. From there, the trickle turned into a flood, and every door that was opened revealed more and more problems.

I don't recall just when or under what specific circumstances the key person or people resigned, but, in a reasonably short time after investigations began, a meeting was convened in Sydney, with a wide range of ATBC people invited. A series of workshops were held, I think over 3 days, which laid down the structure of a new national sporting body ( TBA )

Following that meeting, Roy West, myself and one other ( apologies - can't recall name - my fault - my memory ) were charged with producing a constitution which would reflect the decisions taken about the structure and operations of TBA.

Steve, the above scarcely scratches the surface. Some other people involved at the time may enlighten you further - but I doubt it.

Jim

Thx Jim - I agree it is hard to remember back so far - I struggle now as to what the heck it was I did yesterday.............so I'm with you on that one. As mentioned before I think from something like 1996 through to 2003 I was out of Australia living in Asia and then spending a great deal of time in the US - so this period of the switch to TBA was not something I have anything like first hand knowledge of. Frankly it is all so much water under the bridge now - it's best left alone I'm guessing.

When we do get the chance to catch up though we will have some stories to swap - that's for certain.

Keep well and thx again for the summary,

Steve

ps to Geoff- 120,000 members again - yes wouldn't it be nice!!

Jim
There is much more to tell.

Some of those bowlers who no the story are still around but nobody
really believes them and some people have threatened legal action
if they speak up too much.

Sadly some of those concerned with the ATBC are now no longer living
Also sadly the sport has never recovered as trust was lost big time
The whole ATBC / GSTBA thing also went a long way to the distruction
of a very sound, strong and financially secure Tenpin Bowling Association

Now we have a very sad substitute in place which is struggling financially
due to bugger all membership and support is not growing.

Jim
There is much more to tell.

Some of those bowlers who no the story are still around but nobody
really believes them and some people have threatened legal action
if they speak up too much.

Sadly some of those concerned with the ATBC are now no longer living
Also sadly the sport has never recovered as trust was lost big time
The whole ATBC / GSTBA thing also went a long way to the distruction
of a very sound, strong and financially secure Tenpin Bowling Association

Now we have a very sad substitute in place which is struggling financially
due to bugger all membership and support is not growing.

Geoff, I agree with everything you say, and for the ATBC to have gone on, preserving those " good old days " would , and should have happened. The great, great majority of ATBC members, volunteers, officials and staff supported and worked selflessly for the good of the organisation and it's members.

Unfortunately, in any organisation, there are sometimes some who put their own interests first. One has only to look at some of the recently publicised actions and practices by union officials, to see the sort of things which can happen, using members funds.

Arguments and discussions fun eh Jim? Who woulda thought. So much mediocrity these days, little to get excited about it seems.

There will be something to get excited about shortly when TBAs latest letter to the proprietors hits the mainstream bodies.....
Don't ask me, ask your local Centre proprietor........
Actually, excited might not be the right word...........

There will be something to get excited about shortly when TBAs latest letter to the proprietors hits the mainstream bodies.....
Don't ask me, ask your local Centre proprietor........
Actually, excited might not be the right word...........
Two games ,shoe hire, hot dog fries & a coke ? :p

TBA are asking bowling proprietors 2 choices for sanctioned centres next year. Option 1 pay X amount per lane to have your centre sanctioned (centre decides how they charge bowlers to get there money back). Option 2 is charge every bowler 25c per game extra and every bowler is registered.

I should add that it is just league bowlers to be charged 25 per game, if this option is the way the proprietors want to go. Option 1 is not very good for my centre, would need a lot of league bowlers in a centre for this to work.

Participants + Organized Competition + Venue = Sport
What part of this equation do TBA play in Bowling Sport ?
Unless they provide an essential element for the sport's existence, they have no future.
Sanctioning is not essential for the Sport to exist. They need to come up with a reason to justify their existence.

Option 2.

A dollar here and there gets added every couple of league seasons anyway...

I should add that it is just league bowlers to be charged 25 per game, if this option is the way the proprietors want to go. Option 1 is not very good for my centre, would need a lot of league bowlers in a centre for this to work.

So for the people who actually support the sport and the centres by bowling multiple leagues they are going to have to cough up more money than someone who bowls one league and essentially register multiple times? Sounds like the best way to LOSE members rather than gain them.....

Back
Top Bottom