What should a Rachuig team member expect from a Rachuig coac

Andrew S.

Gold Coast
It's coming up to roll-off time again, and the possible culture shock of meeting a Rachuig coach for the first time will be experienced by many.
Assuming you make the team in your State what would you expect from the team coach?
Do you expect him or her to help you technically, to motivate you, or both, or what? Should a Rachuig coach hold a level 2 certificate (as currently required) or does this not matter?
Should the coach hold a very high league or tournament average, or is this not relevant?
It will be interesting to hear the views of Juniors as to what they expect when they reach the Adult ranks. It might also help State Committees to hear the views of some of our more experianced bowlers.
Andrew Shinnie
(Not on the Qld. State Adult Committee!)

Andrew,

As this year will be my first year rolling off for Rachuig I think it might help for me to state my opinion.

I do not believe that Rachuig coaches should have to hold very high league averages because as the saying goes some players are better coaches and better players arent very good coaches (something to that affect anyway).

I do believe that a level 2 certificate should be a requirement because of the high skill level Rachuig players have.

A rachuig coach should be able to teach all aspects of the game from spare shooting to how handle a bad game to what to do in a situation where to opponents are very close and how to handle the pressure coming into the last shot of the game which could mean the trophy for the team or the overall.

A level headed coach is also a good coach I believe as you dont want a coach who thinks they are top stuff and all they care about is winning just for themselves. I have found that this is very off putting because you feel that every effort you put in isnt good enough.

Well that is just my opinion anyway.

Kel

I would have to agree with Kel there, with the point she rose about the coach putting that much pressure on the bowler feels like he/she hasnt done enough for the team.

But another point I think is a very good one for a coach to have would be personal experience for instance having a coach already have bowled something simialar or bowling rachuig its self.

How ever I do not think that the coach needs to hold any sort of certified recognition as most of the bowlers now could probably coach anyways. But thats like saying whats the point of coaching? Well, when someone is nervous or not concentrating they will need someone there to tell them the little things they are doing wrong, pulling them into line on the lanes for their "dummy spitting."

So what I am saying is that EXPERIENCE is probably the key to a coach, and how the coach can handle the situations.

Sazz

Hi all

I think that a lvl2 certificate definitely should be required as almost any bowler of a rauchig standard will have the knowledge of a lvl1 certified coach.

I also think that it is important to have an "assistant coach" position in which newer coaches can perhaps gain the necessary experience needed to take on the task of coaching a whole team.

But that's just my oppinion,
Later

Andrew

As a Rachuig rep previously and hoping to be one this year, I can tell you some small things which I would like to see in the coach.

First of all and mainly the coach should be helping everyone on their mental game. When you get to that level, the skill level is very high, the only difference is having the mental game to throw that key shot when it counts. It takes ages to build up mental confidence and a second to crush it. I take my hat off to Gail over the years when I bowled, she was able to keep us all on track (which if you saw who was in the team was no mean feat).

The coaching accreditation side of it isn't that important. I'm not a qualified coach but I'm sure I could really help out a team with my knowledge of angles, drillings, reading lanes and mental game. It's not about a peice of paper, it's about knowledge. I would hope that the coach would have it.

I hope to inject the QLD team with alot more help this year, not only from the scoring side of things but in the technical side with weightblocks and drillings.

In summary, the coach should be a friend and a great problem solver. They should have the answers for everything and if they don't have the ability to acquire the answers fast.

George

PS Expect a big showing from Queensland this year

George,
Your hit the nail on the head...I agree that you would have far better input to your team members than a level 20?? (or whatever) coach who hasn't been in any situation in respect to knowing what it feels like to be out there. As far as my concern experience count's for everything. My grandmother can get out there learn the rules ..drill a ball...be a shrink...and a 160 ave bowler...and get even a certificate to say she a coach...but she still lack the most important quality in the game.....experience and the feel for the game. Not even the best bowler can put and pass it down to others in words (communicate) but they still have the knowledge.
The so called text book coaches...I'm sure would be great with the people starting off...or the kids but hi level adult stuff..I don't know.???
The mechanics of your shot out there depends so much on how you feel and attitude...which is something that can't be passed on by so many so-called coaches!!!!
bye now

That's all very interesting and I agree with most of it, but what I'd like to see (and all of you who saw our ACT team last year will agree) is a coach who could teach people to hit single pins.

I mean missing the odd tenpin isn't too bad, but consistently missing 4's, 6's, 7's, or 3's is ridiculous.

Will people be expecting the coaches of this new youth thing they're talking about to be the same as a rachuig coach? what would be different?

Flesh you're kidding aren't you?
What's a coach going to say to a bowler who's been hitting the pocket but misses a 3 pin? Umm please don't do that again? There's nothing a Rachuig Coach can do to stop players missing single pins on the day. Rachuig players all know how to spare and it would've been practiced before the event presumably for most of their career. As it was said before all the coach can do is pick up some minimal things, run the lineups, maybe suggest some ball/line changes and help the team to settle...major 'coaching' is out as you're in the middle of a tourney. If you look at the 2nd and 3rd days of Rachuig '01 then ACT men were probably the second highest team in terms of pointscoring and we didn't go away and learn to spare overnight...it was just a case of relaxing. Although a strong case could be made to drop the coach role altogether as when was the last time the NSW ladies had one? Thier record speaks for itself. I'm sure there are plenty of other winning Rachuig teams who didn't or don't have coaches as well.

Catch ya later!

icon_smile.gif
icon_biggrin.gif

hey every1,

i agree with most of the comments so far. A coach is simply there to 'prompt' the bowler about something they may be doing slightly wrong or give them a mental tip or two.

In regards to what Drew said, I also agree ... you don't necessarily need a coach. I think it depends on the group of bowlers, if you hav a group of experienced bowlers who know what they are doing and are prepared to help their mates when they r struggling then u will be fine - after all your a Rachuig bowler, u shouldn't need too much assistance.

We (Tassie Men) didn't hav one this year as brett r was bowling ... it worked fine. Brett and Ash looked after most things including helping others when needed!!

I think it depends on the team and its members!!!

That's my $0.02 worth!!!

icon_wink.gif
icon_wink.gif

Easy Drew, I don't think you've quite taken me the right way there. I'm not meaning to say you should have a coach that's in there telling you exactly how to spare during the tournament. I think he should spend a lot more time working on spares in training, and a lot less time on strikes. You can work on general flaws in your shot while you shoot singlepins off the deck, every bit as well as when you shoot strikes.

I also think it would be a great benefit if the coach was designed to be calming, and nip the chokes on tenpins (or 7pin, in Matt and Fred's case).

If the coach isn't going to help correct aspects of your game, and you must admit the biggest aspect of the game that needs work once you reach rachuig level is sparing, then why have a coach at all. A manager to organise "teambuilding" training and line-ups is all you need then.

Flesh

You seem to be clutching at straws with no reel ground for your comments.
To start with please add your name to the bottom of your paragraph, if you’re serious about commenting on our ACT coaches.

During practice session of our Rachuig the coach’s job is to tweak the small things, fine-tune the approach and stance maybe. A Rachuig coach should then be able to step up a level and talk mental games, visualisation, attitude, physical fitness, and diet and the winning feelings.

The rachuig coach has you for what 4 months preparation if that and 3 days Rachuig.

Rachuig is about striking turning double into triples and so on. The spare should flow from your game. Hitting the pocket for maximum pin fall was something that was drummed into me when I was young.

Now the choke shot (spare or strike) is a different situation all together. Situations of gotta throw the first strike or make that spare while the pressure is on.

I practice this during my own practice sessions I call them the “Money Shots” Before standing on the approach I say to myself “OK a strike to win the tournament one strike make the shot” I put a bit of feeling with it. Then stand up and shoot, same goes with corner pin spares.

99% of your practice and tournament games should be in progress or well done before the Rachuig coach is even chosen or speaks to you.

Flesh a Rachuig or Der Ver bowler ??? If your waiting for these coaches to give you a magic word to bring the games up to the levels of NSW QLD VIC I wouldn’t be holding your breath.

I suggest the ACT teams get out there bowl more than just league, Try a NSW Grand Prix tournament outside of the ACT this will give you the choke practise and you’ll understand why the QLD NSW VIC team continually score well, They are out there doing. Good luck and Practise or approach someone, last years Rachuig coach and ask to continue on the training.

Matt F
icon_wink.gif

Having been a spectator/parent for the past two years at Rachuig, I feel that what is lacking in todays coaches is the ability to motivate and inspire their bowlers. Anyone who saw Rudy in Melbourne ,year before last, will know what I mean - that man really worked hard to inspire his bowlers to do their best, after all Rachuig standard bowlers SHOULD already have their sparing techniques established. In fact a Rachuig representative should know how to correct and overcome any obstacles in their game. There are not that many level 2 coaches or are they all in hiding when it comes to Rachuig.
icon_wink.gif

What would a Rachuig team member expect from his/her coach: The ‘ol spot would expect a lot :-

I would agree to a certain extent with Sarah & Strop in that personal experience and feel for the game is important. The Coach would need a depth of experience at high level. I would have to disagree with Kell – the Coach would have needed to achieved a high league average at some point in their careers. However, most elite bowlers lack the teaching and interpersonal skills, lack the spare time from their busy schedules, or even lack interest in coaching.

George has a level head – the mental game is important for elite bowlers – success would have to be about 20% technical and 80% mental.

The Coach would need the ability to get the team functioning as a unit - teamwork and sportsmanship would be my key issues.

The Coach would be Level 2.

How many Level 2 Coaches would there be in VIC?

icon_razz.gif

Flesh

I take it from your posts you are a very experienced bowler who never misses single pins in high pressure events and someone with skills beyond anyone else in the ACT team....

Could you delight me by providing some of your exploits in this sport of ours...

We recently talked about the ACT top 5 and by the sounds of things....Matt has a new runner for the No1 position....

Bert
icon_rolleyes.gif
icon_rolleyes.gif

Bert

I hadn't intended to turn this into an argument, the question was what do you expect in a Rachuig coach, and I said I think they should work mostly on spare shooting. I grant I went about it in the wrong way, I'm sorry, it's been a stressful time at home.

To answer your question, yes I have a higher sanctioned all-events total at a state-championship type event.
I'm afraid that's the best example I can give you, I haven't the funding to go away to many of the real tournaments and I don't think I've ever bowled with any of our Rachuig bowlers at those.

No I have never missed the win/loss shot. Nor have I ever rolled 29x, I kept my head for the twelfth.

I don't claim to be the best, I don't claim to be better than Matty, Drew, or Brett. I am now quite content to hold a league average over the card and sail, I don't need to be an all star to be happy, and I don't want to be in the Rachuig team we have. Matt can keep his number 1 status.

So anyhow, you guys enjoy your roll-offs, best of luck to all who enter.

My god who is this idiot that seems to know all about bowling and yet is a nobody.

Averages over the card and is happy to sail. Where at tuggers? My 6year old could average that there!

So you could knock Matt or any other person off if you bowled rachuig. I bowl about 15 times a year and would be more than happy to bowl against you at your happy little centre to show you how it is done.

I also haven't seen you in a pressure situation needing a strike or spare to win anything apart from your league game. Also this so called 12th shot you threw was this sanctioned?

icon_confused.gif
icon_confused.gif

The best T,ment/Rachuig /FIQ coach i have ever had is my wife Sandy.
She doesnt have a coaching accreditation certificate,worse still she averages around 125.
What see does know is, what makes me tick on the lanes.
She doesnt tell me to practise spares/lines/strikes..she presumes that i do all that anyway,otherwise i wouldnt enter an event.
She knows my body language,and tell tale signs as to when im cruising or struggling.
When you cruise,coaching is easy..its when you struggle that "help" is required.
Bowling is like golf..the only time you make mistakes is when you lift your head and dont know which target the ball hits.
Why did i miss that spare..not because i havent practised enough,but because my brain is in la la land.
At Rachuig/FIQ level..its all about being in or out of la la land.
If you have a Rachuig coach that is making you practise spares and lines then they are devoid of imagination..and if as a player you still depend on the Rachuig coach to take you through this type of process then you are not ready to WIN a Rachuig..compete maybe..but win...never..or hardly ever.
Look at Rachuig history,NSW-VIC dominate,SA,here and there,then the odd TAS,NT.
NSW-VIC players have all done their homework/paid their dues/gained experience with personal coaches..distinct to Rachuig coaches..in other words they are ready come Rachuig roll off time..and during Rachuig.
Distinct to now i have made Rachuig and will now depend on a coach..give me a break.
I notice that most of the posts really in favour of Rachuig coaches to hammer home elementary exercises are bowlers under 200 average.
If you are under 200 average are you really good enough to represent your state ,and are you only there because genuine candidates havent gone for the State team.
The problem is that most states (men) have genuine 200 plus average bowlers but only 3 or 4 go for Rachuig..NSW/VIC will field at least 6 genuine 200 average bowlers and as history shows..win more often.
Ill guarantee you that history will show that a great Rachuig coach(if there is such a thing) never won the Rachuig.
What do i want from a Rachuig coach...to be a fantastic ball driller.

Well, I'd have to agree with Tom on that. The Rachuig coach should be a awesome ball driller.

These days aren't like back in the 70's, 80's and early 90's, where all balls were basically the same. Technology has taken over, and it does take quite a bit of knowledge to know what some of these babies can do.

Almost everyone that qualifies for their team, know what they are doing...they wouldn't be there in the first place. What it does come down to, is being able to carry and the condition at hand. a knowledge of coverstocks, and weightblocks does come in handy!! Just a slight difference can turn 10 pocket hits from 3 to 6 strikes a game.

Just my 2 cents worth.

Couldn"t agree with you more tom.......
from a state who's had plenty of seconds in rachuig??(men).
You wife has alway been supportive of your game and knows your attitudes at different levels and that help's.........If people get advice from bowlers that have been there and done it all , that it is up to them to interpret and put to good use.......I personally have listen to many who have been there...eric jang..graham smith..etc and I will listen...it doen't hurt to listen...but I will not to those what I call text book coaches or for juniors...parents who think they know it all.?????
bye now

Flesh...

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Tahoma, Arial, Helvetica, ">quote
I don't want to be in the Rachuig team we have.

Why not... Is it because you cant be bothered, dont like the people who currently bowl for the ACT or because your dont want to have to bowl in a pressure situation.??

Bowling a 200+ avg in a league with the equipment available today is no longer proof of your ability to bowl well...Avg 225+ for a season and then come tell me how your going to sail....

As for winning an all-events...Im sorry but there is no pressure in that feat....

As for the role of a rachuig coach I can only repeat what has already been mentioned in this forum subject, a coach should be there to fine tune your game, tell you if your too quick or too slow, etc, etc.. not to tell you to stand on 35 board, aim at 15 to spare the 10pin....it should all be part of your natural game....

Rachuig nominations will be out in the next few weeks....it will be interesting to see who nominates for this years team....

I know The Weapon won't nominate...as he only wants to travel to perth to bowl...
icon_biggrin.gif
icon_biggrin.gif

Back
Top Bottom