Playing Rachuig for money???

GeorgeF

Hypercell = Hyperhook!
Just wondering if money was up for grabs, how many of the better bowlers who choose not to bowl Rachuig would come out of the wood work. If every bowler chipped in $50 each without a corporate sponsor the mens and ladies teams could compete for the following money:

1st place team - $1500
2nd place team - $ 950

or

1st place team - $ 1000
2nd place team - $ 850
3rd place team - $ 600

I know it's not a fortune but at least it is a return and some what of a bonus for the teams who deserve it. There are other ways of boosting this fund, like charging an extra $5 to all bowlers in all states who roll off for Rachuig selection etc.

It has great potential, interested to hear your views.

G

George do you only bowl for money? or do you really like the sport.

I ask as I am trying to teach my junior to bowl for the love of the game, the money is an added bonus.

Dotty I do love the game, but with any sort of love there is a cost. The cost being everything from the latest equipment, shirts, bowling shoes, practise, league, etc etc.

Rachuig is the ultimate in our country and should be something people should all aspire to, but with that representation comes a price. Usually $800-$1200 to be part of that dream. The fact is that some of our best bowlers don't bowl rachuig because it is too dear and maybe that it doesn't interest them anymore. There are ways of reducing that cost via fundraising and so forth but thats up to the states to organise.

All I am trying to say is that bowlers are willing to pay $1000 to represent their state, whats another $50 to create a prizefund and something extra to aim for. You never know, if we jag a corporate sponsor and all of a sudden the prize fund goes up by 5x, is it such a bad idea????

All I am trying to do is get some of our countries best bowlers back at the for front so Rachuig is truly the ultimate in competitions, suggesting some different ways of doing this, this is just one suggestion.

G

i agree with george, that rachuig should have a prize value to it

did anyone realise that it costs $110,000 - $220,000 for every state combined to get the event to happen (14 players per team by $1000-2000 by 8 states and territories).

thats for airfares, uniforms, travel and accomodation just at the nationals.

if very state, was to fly with the one airline, stay at the one hotel and be uniformed all by the same company and hire from the one company, surely we would be able to lure some sponsorship by the suppliers and be able to inject prizefund and maybe cut the costs of getting the best players to compete.

this would have to be co-ordinated nationally, i'm not sure if it would pay off, but just an idea.

I dunno George that mind of yours. Always thinking thinking. What time did you post this? Midnight? hehehhehe just kidding. Look your supposed to be saving your pennies to come over here. All BS aside I reckon its a great idea. Why shouldnt you play for money in the biggest tournament in the land. As you say it may drag some of us fringe dwellers back into action although thats not the reason I havent played since '96. I mean if Gold Cup is anything to go by it would be huge. But it gets back to where the money will come from and fund raising alone is not the answer and even just $50 dollars extra could be a bit much for some people. Mate we have the talent over here to win the damn thing but there are lots of reasons why our top players are no shows. The extra incentive of playing for cash to help ease the pain in the hip pocket might just do the trick. You would have no complaints over here if it was brought in. I'm sure Scoops will have some input here. A sponsor would be huge but they saddly they are rare in our sport.
icon_wink.gif
See you in the sunny west soon Baron

J

Whether we like it or not .. priorities change as we get older. When you are young and bowling president shield you have either your parents support or you have your job at McDonalds funding your passion.

When you get older, things like mortgages, marriages, kids come into it. Unfortunately no amount of pride in representing your state will feed the spouses and kids. These are things that, when you are a young person bowling president shield, the majority or people don't have to worry about. Comparing the two is a little unbalanced.

Graham,

You have no kids.
You have no mortgage.
You are a semi decent bowler (umm, that my be a compliment)

Whats stopping you?

Milk

I decided earlier this year that I don't want to bowl in tournaments anymore and that I would channel my energies into other things. Previous years (99 and 2000) I did roll off for Rachuig, making the trip to Adelaide in 99.

Any more questions ?
icon_biggrin.gif

Graham

Can you honestly tell me that you weren't proud to play for your state?? I was not looking at President's Shield side of things as far as money is concerned. I was just merely saying that I was proud to be a member of the team. Whether Rachuig teams play for money in the coming years or not, I know I'll be there rolling off (hopefully).

I dunno... just my opinion I guess

Yeah sure .. I was proud .. but like Milkman said I have no mortgage, no kids, no spouses. I could afford to go away.

It really just proved my point.

hi all, i am with you on this one graham sorry jason but pride only goes so far then reality sets in. i am in the same situation as graham no kids no mortgage but i won't bowl rachuig because of the cost.i hate to say it but george might be onto to something here!!

maybe they could take it a set further and go to the international level of the game and start paying the guys and girls who represent australia. maybe then will would be able to send the best team not just the best team that can afford to go.

Prizemoney in Rachuig???

mmm....I do think it is wise to put prizemoney in the tourney, as it does cost the average bowler around $1000 just to bowl in it but then if they want you have to have masters tryouts, singles, doubles and teams events that would add up a bit.. so i think it would be a good idea

MY TWO CENTS WORTH

SAZZ

I thought we had been through this before, however I'm glad it keeps coming back, as I TOTALLY AGREE - Rachuig should have a prizefund

And whoever said it ëarly is definately getting "warmer", we need to be all at the same venue, going through a National Travel agency, flying the same airline, then maybe just maybe they would come to the party for sponsorship.
Why not also look at (said previously I'm sure) but why cant Rachuig be known as the "VIRGIN RACHUIG TROPHY" or "Tooheys Rachuig TROPHEY" or "NIKE RACHUIG TROPHY" OR "PEPSI RACHUIG TROPHY"
(Mind you from what whispers have crept over the Indian Ocean we may have to keep players from using the rest rooms at the dinner, thats if we get Virgin Airline)
I'm sure for once a year Virgin could fly over to little ole Perth, Darwin and whever else they dont go would be worth it for them surely?

I know were only talking RAchuig here, but there's alot more than the 128 rep's in Rachuig (8@8@2) you have TBA rep's, WDV and ATBSO all travelling to the same venue, what travel agency wouldnt bend over backwards to get that sort of business.

Your talking over 400 travelling competitors and thats to soemwhere as distant as PERTH whats it like when the event is at the Gold Coast and all these Bowlers go just for NAtionals so they can coincide a holiday?
Now the numbers have just gone up 50%

Not too sure about using the same Company for uniforms how that would work out, sounds a bit like a nightmare too me.

As for how much it costs, what have been some of your figures I think $800-$1200 WELL that would be a luxury if it only cost that, Us muggins over here pay alot more than that to take part in a rachuig, My estimate that a Rachuig costs you around $3000-$4000, when you take into account Trials, Training, extra equipment, Uniforms, Travel to NAtionals, Costs whilst your their, Nationals Events cost, and what about if your self employed like alot of bowlers are they have to take time off without pay, all right for those that get paid leave, but for some guys (I know in Perth) they lose over $1000. for a week off work

But now a prize fund I think 1st & 2nd places would be enough.
I think my suggestion once was $500 per team which could come out of fundraising, its only 5 x 100-club draws and how easy are they to do! This would give a pool of $4000.00
1ST Place $2400.00
2nd Place $1600.00
Divide by 8 or 9 This would be some compensation and some good ole serious drinking after the event, I'm sure eveybody would be in agreeance that the winning team had to buy everyone a drink, that would be only fair.

Now I hear the other arguement, "Representing your State should be enough and for most it is", I know when I have played for my state it is extremely rewarding knowing you're wearing your state colours Gives me chills just thinking about it, But lets have a look at how many top line bowlers around the country that are not bowling, Now it stands out like Dogs BAlls that there are bowlers in all areas that are not even trying out to represent their state/territory.
For me personally their are a number of issues that need to be looked at and for the moment the majority is all only related to what we do in Perth, so in the mean time I am quite happy seeing some of our young hopefuls getting a birth to wear the colours and hopefully appreciate how good the competition is and come back home and work twice as hard next time to make it again Our youth is our future and they need to be encouraged especially to take part in this great event, cause its still the 2nd best event in the country, after Presidents SHIELD of course !!!!!!!!

Well this is only my humble opinion and I look forward to this post continuing for a long time, but guys/gals lets not just sit back and talk about it, we/you need to start formulating ideas getting sensible people together, writing letters NOW not for 2002 maybe not even 2003, but look to the future maybe 2004/5. To get these big corporate sponsors we need to keep planting the seed in their head and become a pest so that one day they will just turn around and give us something to keep us quiet.

ANYWAY LETS HEAR THE RESPONSES AND DO SOMETHING ABOUT IT THIS TIME

Alan Skupin
Rachuig Rookie from way, way, way back.

GIDDY UP!!!

hey scoops, hows it going over there

now we have this forum flourishing with good ideas, and producing lots of positive thoughts, heres another angle

if the adult, junior and seniors nationals were held in the one centre over 4 weeks straight, surely the game price could lower, officials only have to travel once which would save on airfares, the juniors are only bound by the school holidays so lets try this

week 1 & 2 junior and youth nationals
week 3 & 4 adult and seniors nationals

if the tba only had to fly to one event, tournament expenses could be shallower and prize fund could be boosted.

also if $1 out of every adult sanction and 50 cents of every junior sanction was put towards FIQ, how much would it cost our players to bowl FIQ, not sure of our membership, but surely nationally we must have around 100,000 members, so theres 50,000 - 100,000 for fiq, how much does it cost now to send our teams away each year.

and also the same amount was put into each state as a subsidy towards presidents shield and rachuig, how much would rachuig now cost.

for this to happen, we need $2 from each adult and $1 from each junior.

and for a real acute idea, the top 6 rachuig averages in male and female, would make up the FIQ team for the next 12 months

but if you don't like that idea, try this

at the end of each nationals, adult and junior, there is a day put away for FIQ trials, and yes, i didn't mention selection, straight out trials

interested to hear more

Rachuig - never ending story...god! scoops ....what are trying to say. My view is of old, I had a lot of good times with the team in rachuig and winning in melbourne back in 88 on there own turf and coming from behind (pardon the expression) felt pretty darn good. (not to mention hurting the victorian men's team pride by collecting a small wager on the side($800.00) felt even better because of the rivalry we always had with them.
for me to bowl now would cost me the best part of $2000 just to be told by our own local assoc we can't drink and do this and that.....many times we did it for ourself and our state,rather than for our local assoc. I have also been classed more of a individual player than a team player but I still gave it 100% for the boy's especially last time in canberra....only beacause I wanted to win a individual tournament than a team one, but winning the 88 one was a good feeling.
I don't like the current format...I don't like the politics that has been around the game for so long, I believe the long lost ATBA both in s.a. and ....vic. has devistated the game. Because it MADE some of the bowlers were they are today????....tournament experience..matchplay experience and the chance to play against some of the best...(not that there is up and coming bowlers around today) but and I congradulate the real people that made it possible (not because I was part of it.) but they knew what they were doing...not like some of the old fuddy duddy's around now (especially in assoc)that think they know how to do it or for that matter what they are doing.
I don't have the answer's for today problem's
and there's a lot I would like to say but won't and can't put in word's.
money is a big issue there days....there are a lot of us who use to try???? and chase it.
sponorship or each state backing there own time financially is the answer....prizemoney ...yes...no...yes ???? will that make it better,more enjoyable,team spirit,good time after bowling???!!!@@@ .....maybe?
I may not know what I'm talking about or just rambling...but after over 25 years in this games you tell me ???? .

Craig,you,ve touched on an area that Stax and I had been discussing..Sanction fees.
Bowling is still back in the stone ages when it comes to registering for a sport for a year.
Couple of small examples..my daughters net ball which only has a seasonal fixture costs me $95.00.Her T ball in previous years..$65.00.
We could go onto membership for Football clubs,golf clubs..etc,etc,etc.
We have some 7000 bowlers in WA..just pull a reasonable figure out of the air..say $50.00..a dollar a week..thats $350,000.00.
Costs WA around $200,000.00 to send all 4 teams interstate.
That leaves $50,000.00 in the kitty,and $100,000 to distribute during the area and city c,ships..see how many entries and renewed interest you would get in each grade if you were playing for $1,000.00 per division,per event...Masters $3,000.00 or more..those amounts can get some press...and press can get sponsors.
Thats nil fund raising for starters..however you would form a professional fund raising committee..ie once they get a certain amount(quiz nites,bingo..etc)..the rest is theirs.(the incentive plan).
Everyone puts in,nearly all of it comes back to the bowlers.
For sad sacks that cant afford $50.00 for a year.. they could have 3 months to pay if off.

Just a few quick comments:

Scoops, Virgin are now flying ALL the way over to Perth!

When we are talking about Registration fees, 50 cents here 50 cents there for this and that unfortunately $10 ($6-60 to TBA and $3-40 to centre) doesn't go far if everyone had their 50 cents worth! Membership fees would need to rise considerably. Does the average once a week social league bowler really want to pay more for their membership? When we talk about netball, golf etc membership fees it is usually membership to a club which also provides club room facilities, being a member within bowling does not give you access to these sort of facilities, which is a shame.

And just for the record, this year all the Rachuig teams stayed in the same accomodation and the Pinacle Apartments supported the National Masters Final (financially as I understand) so if everyone did what has been mentioned and use the same suppliers, airlines, etc etc you just never know!

(Well done and congrats to those who arranged this years sponsorships and acommodation arrangements at Pinacle).

Oh and by the way, using top 6 averages on a 3 day event is not my idea of a suitable way of selecting the FIQ team. What happens to the need to travel to tournaments to gain results and earn your way in to the team?
It's a tough one but personally, I feel the trial system is not right, as do I believe a good number of bowlers who would be eligible to make the team!
That's all folks

jo

icon_biggrin.gif
icon_biggrin.gif

bowling for your state, or for money there is a difference, and can you do both?

the ideas about sponsorship and group travel and accommodation are good and should seriously be looked at, i know that for next years junior nationals the sa juniors are planning to do something similar and virgin have even considered a charter flight to sydney for the bowlers, this could be the start of our group efforts.

the memebership fees are quite cheap when you consider other sports (taekwondo costs me $120.00 membership per year plus $40.00 per month)but we also have to consider that while it is good to have money allocated to FIQ bowling, these bowlers represent a minute percentage of actual bowlers,and the grass roots bowler is the one who we will loose as they never see the benefit of the membership money.

I'm impressed jo / nic you both posted messages at 8.56pm....amazing trick....that's good either your both at the same house or closer than you both really know............???!!@@

just before this $2 adult and $1 junior subsidy gets blown out, i will just clarify

it is only a small percentage of the current sanction, not a large one, and most who have got to this level have been paying sanction for years for little return and also they have done the hard yards and deserved to be awarded for their success instead of being asked to dig deeper into their pockets, the better you are at the moment the lower you have to dig.

and at the end of the day, rachuig, presidents shield and FIQ are the TBA's prized events and if the subsidy was brought in, it would be the TBA's way of trying to make it the best possible tournament it could be.

i know i would want my best 7 men, women, boys and girls playing for my chosen state and it wouldn't matter weather i was in that 7 or not.

and yes, sanction is TOO CHEAP

but if it went up to an acceptable limit, all awards would have to be free and only available once per lifetime, not every year and many other services that other sports have would have to be inputted, like a copy of the rules and maybe a brochure on how to play the game.

Back
Top Bottom