Playing Rachuig for money???

I must say here that everyone who has posted a reply under this topic have all made valid points. Why does prizemoney have to get involved? What's wrong with the satisfaction that you are representing your state? I know that when I made the SQ team for Jnr Presidents Shield, it didn't matter where the team came that year, I was just happy for the fact that I was able to represent my state.

But then you also look at Craig's and George's point of view too. They are vaild points. Everyone has their own point of view. While I think there may not be a need to include prize money in the event, it is still a thought. And a good one too. I agree with Craig and by saying that all teams should fly the same airline, stay in the same hotel.. etc, there is a better chance that sponsorship will happen. I for one hope that it does happen. We need something like this to happen in this sport, for the sport's sake. Whether the sponsorship comes in the form of prize funds at the end of the tournament, or reduced airfares or whatever, a sponsor is needed to help fuel and strengthen this sport which we all love.

I dunno... that's just my opinion.

Getting back to the topic, George is on the right track (no pun intended). Rachuig cost each and every bowler a heap of cash, yes we all did/do it for pride and the honner of representing our State but at the end of the day you have to look a the dollar figure.

Most of you are on the right road group buying power to reduce the travel and accommodation cost. But raising membership may not hurt us but think of the everyday league bowlers. Several years ago the TBA introduced membership at $25.00 a year and I dont know what the national membership figures showed but I can tell you here in the ACT that cost lost membership, league bowlers stoped bowling and other leagues just decided to bowl un-sanctioned.

All of these grassroots bowlers (below 180 ave) are major percentage of bowling members so hitting them in the pocket it not the answer, the greater majority wouldnt know what President Shield or Rachuig is and are all quite happy to turn up once a week and just play league for the fun and enjoyment of it all. Some on them may go on to join the elite but the greater majority will not.

Together as one all the states and territories should work at a National corporate sponsors Tenpin Bowling is only small if the people involved think small.

Scotty Gooch
Like scoops, a Rachuig Rookie a long, long, long time ago.
icon_razz.gif

I think we r on the right track here, we do need to inject more money in to associations and with 99% chance of not getting sponsorship for ur state teams we need to maybe look at something along the lines of what Tom said in his post. What we can do i really dont have any ideas but with the calibre of bowlers and business man/women in volved in the sport it shouldnt be to long before someone hits the nail on the head!!!
just my thoughts.....

Mark Foster
icon_smile.gif

I'd gladly take the hit of higher sanction fees. To join anything else for $40 or $50 a year would be considered cheap.

If anyone can recall the last time we got talking about this I suggested that the Nationals be played over 2 weeks all in the same state and over the Easter weekend would be perfect.

School Holidays, 4 day long weekend helps for time of work for alot of People, doesnt affect the self employed as much as a normal week as they wouldnt be working anyway

And no one could argue that our membership is expensive it would be in the cheapest section of all sports throughout the country
How can a national organisation run on this little amount and serve the sport as it should be, I ask you?

Any idea as too not effect the local avergae league bowler I would be ain agreeance with, the $25 membership across the board was too much, as not all the associations were run perfectly before and as someone working in the industry trying to sell those memberships yr in yr out trying to justify the increase, when deep down what the bowler is saying was right, WHAT DO THEY GET FOR THERE MONEY. Now I am talkig about your 60yr old lady who bowls once a week just to meet with friends who shes been bowling with since membership was a few pence.

Why not have another tier of membership one for the president shield, WDV, Rachuig bowlers. Charge them an extra $30
Lets say you have 700 or so try out each year gives you in excess of 200K to play with. All "Representative Members" will be rated aswell to help with FIQ selections.

Thanks Jo didnt know that Virgin went to Perth been away too long now. Also didnt know about staying in the same Hotel/Motel well overdue for that one.
icon_razz.gif

It's good to see everybody inputing on this one, as we all sound so very passionate about this event and noone would want to see it go away and certainly would prefer to see all the players at least trying out for it.

GIDDY UP!!!

goochie, i understand where your coming from, the last time the fees were jacked up, it was for virtually the same service, so why pay more for the same or less was the general opinion. and for that you can't blame the bowlers who stopped sanctioning or quit.

obviously the current sanction fee is enough to keep the sport running, and not one allowing to provide quality and beneficial services, in which we all require.

if sanction went to $25, and for that i was guaranteed to get all my awards within a month, and if i was fortunate enough to either make my state team or just be proud to be supporting the players representing my state and or country, it wouldn't phase me.

but the awards have to be once in a life time for every award, after that, you would have to pay for any extra awards you may require.

and to finish, thank you george for bringing this up as the forum has been as slow as a snail of late

CHEERS

For all those interested ANDREW FRAWLEY was the one who did all the negotiating to get all the states to stay at the Pinnacle Apartments for this years Adult Nationals.

He has also organised a deal for next years Junior Nationals for teams to stay at the Travelodge, so those interested should contact him for more details (when he is back in the country!).

Regards
Sue

Back
Top Bottom