Substitute in Leagues

Jase

Admin
Staff member
Can I get some views regarding substitues in leagues.

As a league president, I have had plenty of people with different issues surrounding subs in our league.It's a scratch league and from what I can see in the constitution i don't think we have the substitute section covered very well!

Can we please have some good examples of what is regarded as the done thing, and what is not an acceptable excuse for needing a substitute, so that in future constitutions we can word this correctly and learn from our mistakes.

Jase

Maybe a limit on how high there avg is to the person there bowling for. Most leagues i think use a basis of 10 to 20 pins. Thats also being handicapp leagues. If yours is scratch than would it matter who your bowling against.

Hammer said:
If yours is scratch than would it matter who your bowling against.

Hammer it does when someone averages 160 odd for the time that they have bowled and yet get a sub in that shoots 880+ week in and week out!

Not such a bad way to make money in a league is it?

Jase

Good point. Cause some people who play that person at an avg of 160 have an easy night than if they have to play a bowler of 200+. I thinks its a double edge sword. If you put restrictions on subs it makes it hard to find one within the limit.

Most scratch singles leagues that i have bowled in do not allow spares.

If you are bowling head to head against one opponent each week then you can either organised a pre or post bowl with that person. (also depends on what is written in your constitution)

The other alternative is if you bowl against the whole league (ie top score gets top points, second top second points etc) (which is one league that I currently bowl in)
The way this is setup (mainly for shiftworkers) is that the official league time is on Monday mornings but you have until that Thursday 4:00pm to bowl for that week. If you are going away for any period of time you prebowl for those weeks before you go away. There is no provision for a post bowl. As far as people cheating any score corrections have to be made by the counter staff and initalled as well as the computer printout sheets.

Hope this helps

Well, I couldn't agree more .it is a double edged sword, because restrictions makes it fair, but it also makes it very difficult to find a sub. But Jase, I think the only way you can sort this out is a prebowl or post bowl in your constitution at the end of your season, other than that you could, i've seen this in other leagues, is have 3 compulsory emergency bowls.

Good Luck Mate

Even though i'm not very familiar with Singles Scratch leagues, I think the usual way substitutes are worked is within a certain vicinity of the original bowler's average (it could be +/- 10 or 20 pins, although I have heard of it being +/- 5% or 10% too).

My personal opinion is that if you know you're going to be away, pre-bowl. If you're sick or can't make it on the night, tough biccies and just deal with a blind or whatever the league does.

A lot of the leagues here, scratch OR handicap, don't allow substitutes (or roving reserves) for that reason. It just creates far too much hassle for what its worth.

Back
Top Bottom