On line League?

On line League

• Yes

Votes: 91 85.8%
  • No

Votes: 15 14.2%

• Total voters
Some years ago we ran a league where the different centres bowled against each other without leaving their home centres. Worked great but it was a scratch league and the whole team score counted. Individual scores are a great idea. No reason why it cant work. Go for it. We bowl a league over 4 games with only two being handicap games, it has drawn the best bowlers in the centre together.

Isn't that assuming that you could get a number of bowlers at each centre? You'd have bowlers at the more popular alleys fighting over who should be in it and complete apathy at the others.

I bet a good 80+% of bowlers don't even know this site exists.

Why are so many bowlers concerned about handicaps ? if it concerns people that much, look at the scratch division.
We must remember we all started bowling with large handicaps.

mongoliantreesloth said:
Isn't that assuming that you could get a number of bowlers at each centre? You'd have bowlers at the more popular alleys fighting over who should be in it and complete apathy at the others.

I bet a good 80+% of bowlers don't even know this site exists.
No wonder you hang from trees.... I said that the team situation worked for each country bowling centre in cities that wanted to participate. We held a roll off to see who played. I also said that individual comeptition would be great.
Must be hard to read hanging upside down.

See here fox-cub, I thought this idea started out as a little something for a bit of fun. If you're suggesting it become a full-blown league between centres involving roll-offs and the like then I don't think it'd remain easily manageable.

Your post seems to involve inviting every alley to form a squad, have that squad roll-off to see which squad members play, then have them play four games. Also I can't see that many alleys would be overjoyed at becoming involved with the extra work that would inevitably result.

KISS - Keep It Simple Stupid

Hey sloth all that was ever suggested was that years ago an intercentre competition where centres bowled on their home ground worked. Ther was never any suggestion to run a league with teams th eoriginal idea was for individual bowlers.

and remember. " a closed mouth gathers no feet".

Hey sloth alls I ever said was that some time ago an intercentre virtual league worked well.

Stop looking for ten balls in lotto when there are only eight.

minorfox said:
Hey sloth alls I ever said was that some time ago an intercentre virtual league worked well.
Stop looking for ten balls in lotto when there are only eight.

Your post suggested that "We bowl a league over 4 games with only two being handicap games". I don't think this was what was originally suggested, and I believe (I may be wrong though) that it would be problematic in its implementation.

I understood the original idea to be that one selects one of their existing leagues, and submits the scores from that each week.

HELL YEA IM IN BUT WHAT WILL IT COST US???
AND HANDICAP SHOULD BE 65% OF 200 MAX HANDICAP OF 65...SO HIGH AVERAGE BOWLERS HAVE A CHANCE

This will be a go ahead event; please sit tight hopefully for only another week or two, and then it will be ready to go. I will have a list of rules and regulations posted in the next day or two.

Hi Jase...

Just a consideration for yourself (and others), I see there are some who want low handicap (ie: 65% of 200) while others want higher handicap.

I am keen to participate in and support such a venture - however I have a concern.

I live in Darwin, where there is one bowling alley and it is a very low scoring center (there are several bowlers who are solid 200+ average bowlers here - however the highest average in our most competetive league is only a buck eighty!).

I for one would not like to play against bowlers who are in high-scoring centers without some form of equaliser (such as high handicap). I would also like to propose that handicap is based on a percentage of 220 or 230 - not 200.

Again, this is to help equalise those easier centers against those harder ones...

My highest league average to date over a season (110+ games) is 234. Bowling in Darwin - I am extatic if I average 190 or better on any given night...

I'm sure you get what i'm saying, so i'll leave it with you to take it into consideration.

I would also like to propose that the center that bowlers commence the league in is the one they have to stay in the whole time (or re-establish averages over a minimum of 3 weeks in the new bowling center).

Again, this will help eliminate bowlers from establishing averages in a hard or lower scoring center and moving to a higher scoring center to take advantage of their handicap....

Any other comments from other bowlers regarding how to equal up the bowling centers???

PB

Well what people should do if they are going to compete make them tell you what league they are going to use or if there going to throw 3 games or what ever it is. i'm going to bowl so i'm gonna use my Wednesday night league ans they have a website so they can check and make sure what i bowl.
Great to see this online keague starting. My ave at the moment is 204 or 205.

Chris Castle
Team Brunswick
Asia Pacific

Jase, Just wondering how its all comeing along. Any ideas about when this will be up and operating. I dont think its too late to start it mid season, it will sought out the sand baggers, by than:D :D

count me in, would be cool to bowl against so many bowlers and not have to travel. 90% of 210 works i reckon but then again i wont have a handicap so its all good. will make it interesting though if a public holiday falls on your league night.

Following on from Double_D's post about an online league I remembered this thread. Is anything going to happen with it or has it fallen by the wayside?

There's been a fair amount of interest in this idea, however it'd be a fair amount of work for whoever sticks their hand up to administer it.

I'd run it, but have not yet got the website up I was hoping to run it from.

The idea would be to run several online leagues (using an honesty system), and perhaps after some sort of testing period, even have a prize fund...

But so many work things, still many weeks away for me to do it...

Back
Top Bottom