You only owned one double ball bag
The lanes were conditioned with an old oily rag

A 200 average was a reason to boast
No one complained when the lanes were toast

The PBA was still in its infancy
There was no way in hell you'd ever out-average me

I miss those days when bowling was fun
Been bowling 40+ years, one helluva run

............and before the first lanes were built in this country you could watch (in black and white) "All Star Bowling" on TV of a Sunday afternoon. My heroes were Carmen Salvino, Don Carter, Glen Allison, Steve Nagy.

I always remembered that twisted turned out wrist of Salvinos as something unique at the time. Great memories.

..bowling centres were bowling centres first and foremost, not amusement arcades with lanes attached.

..bowling centres were like comfortable old slippers

..bowling centre employees stayed in the industry and bowlers saw the same staff week after week for years.

..you only heard the thump of ball on wood rather than the echo of synthetics.

You average 199 in a 21 game tournament and came 6th.....Oh that was Sunday!!! you don't need a 230 av all the time, damn it was good to have a good old fashioned grind :D

you could go in & practice on a Sunday & get 10 games for $11.00 and you would have the house to yourself for most of the morning

....You had to score for yourself, Tele-scores
....There used to be decent Junior Leagues to tech kids how to bowl

Leagues used to take up the entire centre and a large crowd would turn up to watch it!

Tournament crowds would outnumber the participants by a great number.

Joe & Joan Bowler complete with robe and sceptor plus thread the needle to open the city championships.

You shot 600 and people looked at you as being a top bowler.

People took the game seriously.

You could walk down into the settee area and not need to wear gumboots to dodge chips, lollies and spilled drink everywhere.

Geoff, how old are you, I remember when I started work, in Fairfield Bowl, the Staff price was 25 cents(1969), the same price as children, Adults were 50 cents. I earned $25 a week.

willey

There was only two State Teams, Adults and Juniors.

But then again as a young fella I used to score on the Telescore for Up to five chain smokers Yuck!;)

Willey, yes you are correct, amazing isn't it

I worked at Broadmeadow Bowl, down the back and on the control. I had this job and worked in a bicycle shop at the same time, while going to uni.

The bicycle wage was one shilling an hour and I progressed to ... I can't remember before I left in 1969. I bowled for 2 and 6 (25 cents) a game as part of the staff for the Kloster Ford Group (owners of Broadmeadow).

I still have my staff card.

Double chocolate, malted milkshakes for lunch kept me going all day and sometimes a double shift. If I remember they were 1 and 3 pence.

AND the juke box played all day in the cafe.

Those were the days.

I remember when i used to walk into a haze of cigarette smoke at bowling definately annoying glad those days are gone. Not totally though still have to run the smoke gauntlet at the entrance one deep breath required.

I remember when i used to walk into a haze of cigarette smoke at bowling definately annoying glad those days are gone. Not totally though still have to run the smoke gauntlet at the entrance one deep breath required.

Won't be long before that is a thing of the past too Ralph. The fact you have to walk through smoke to enter any place is against not only Health regulations but also against OH&S policy. Can't come quick enough for me.

I remember bowling six leagues a week and practice and house events as well all while unemployed and still had enough to look for work, pay board and oh yeah eat as well but that always took up bowling time (almost joking). Don't think that would happen these days.

Remember like Wayne when the same person greeted you at the counter each week by name just by the sound of your voice and when I didn't have my own shoes you got them for league for nothing.

When AMF Magiscore or scoring by hand was the norm and you marvelled at a string greater than 5 and if you couldn't spare you couldn't score at all.

where the ball polisher in the corner of the centre was actually used. I dont know that many centres now days actually have an old all polisher.

Where you went & played the "pinnies" before & after league and they cost you 20 cents a go.

Use the steel ashtrays set into the side of the scoring and burn your hand on the glass when it was that stinking hot that the pencil just melted when you were writing in the score.

Back
Top Bottom