Remember when

I remember when someone would nudge you and whisper..."Hey...that guy has bowled a 300" ..now you get nudged and people giggle "Check a load of that guy...he hasnt bowled a 300 all year...what a joke!"

Too true. There are those who still know how rare and difficult a 300 used to be.

Going back to SPC, Bob Cook (editor of Pin Action) is in the back row (second from our right) and Gary Williams (great guy and bowling's best dancer ever!) is to our left of him.

I used to hang off the back of the fifth row of the seating to watch the TV finals of the SPC from about 1984 to 1990. To actually get a seat, you had to be camped in the bleachers from well before lunch for the 3:30 finals!

Of course, I will never forget winning it in front of those packed same stands years later in 1991. What an amazing privilege.

Speaking of great privileges, and referring back to a post on page 1 about watching Gary Kee, Steve Lovell and Terry Wenban practicing for Brisbane Cup. I got to practice with all three of them as a junior. It's a great learning experience to play with good players and I still love to bowl with and help out keen young players as I can to pass it on in that same spirit.

Jason I was there watching your final, poor Terry Big Four in the 10th. He came up to me after the Final and mentioned the new 3 Unit rule, as if it was going to be a lot of Oil, I said to him what makes you think your not Bowling on more than that now. We all know now how little 3 Units is. The lanes at Bankstown suited the Power Players in 1991, my first thoughts were the Backends were unusually Tight, Rockdale Bowlers had an advantage, I couldn't wrinkle a Ball at Rockdale but I could still Score well there, I used to just point it at the Headpin.

willey

Baz, is Barry Wallace in the second row or last row, I have Ron Clare as the Wild Man of Borneo look, but I haven't seen Ron since he went to work at the Super Bowl in Burleigh Heads when it opened with John and Jill Pask.

I also had David Weild down but that was John Whillans my bad.

willey

More than 3 units and Terry was pointing the fairly hard case Red Rhino from the corner?? Then again Zikman was throwing a blue Track Enforcer up 5 so Terry may had a few more fingers in it

"When Ball Returns had Trouble call buttons" absolutely Jerry8-10

AND THEY WORKED.

Yeah Dale...I bowl in Darwin...and their proshop has like 3 balls... Lucky brando is so reliable. Love the lanes there though...actually have to hit my mark!!!

"When Ball Returns had Trouble call buttons" absolutely Jerry8-10

AND THEY WORKED.

Ours still does AND they all work!!!!

When there was a real buzz when Columbia, AMF, Roto Grip, Ebonite or Brunswick released a new ball, because there were only about 2 new releases PER YEAR!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

TOTAL!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!1

Ours still does AND they all work!!!!

When there was a real buzz when Columbia, AMF, Roto Grip, Ebonite or Brunswick released a new ball, because there were only about 2 new releases PER YEAR!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

TOTAL!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!1

Damn i remember that!!! 23 yrs later and i still havent got a Red Hammer though

Everyone who was anyone had either a Yellow Dot, Blue Roto Grip, LT48 or a Manhatten Rubber and they were the super balls....

When the Hobart Cup was an annual fixture
..when it was televised on the old Tas-TV!

Never forget the '86 Cup and walking into the centre with all the hot TV lights strung up everywhere, black canvas sheets hanging from the ceiling between Lane 8 and 9 with the cameras down the lane (championship pair was 5 & 6), the big crowd filing in, the tension on the faces of the players, all the bigname mainlanders being there - place had a real buzz about it.

I bowled in the '06 Cup - had about much atmosphere as Sunday night league :(

Back
Top Bottom