Remember when

Baz
Can you remember George Scranton? that was 1964, he also so spent some week-ends at Colac in "64"

Tasmanian Men won Rachuig with Alan Coleman running shots back about 3 rows into the grandstands

..the South Pacific Classic was the flag ship of national tournaments.

You won your centre final and had your air fare paid to the national final.

I remember going to 2 finals at Bankstown in the 70's and the bowl was decorated out with palm trees etc and you were greeted at the door with pretty girls decked out in south pacific costumes including flower leis around their necks.

It was such a huge event back then....even had ABC television coverage.

Believe it or not!

John

This is what you were referring to. SPC finalists at Bankstown 1979

Attachments

• SPC Bankstown 1979.jpg
    SPC Bankstown 1979.jpg
    194.9 KB · Views: 157
I remember watching Lovey throw a shoe at a 7 pin (I think) in the Brisbane Cup at Clayfield (cant recall the year...but I'm sure there was more than one)....

speaking of shoes I remember bowling league with a young Carl Bottomley and watching him throw a tanty and take his shoe off and throw it up to a ledge above the old players area at Greenslopes....

Also, seeing Barb Richmond top qualify for the Sunshine Special at clayfield and turn up the next morning & score for the ladies in the consolation tournament (how many do that now).....

I can't remember the 79 SPC or who Won, but I will try to name a few I recognize, some may be wrong, The Suits, Ron Huchinson and Arthur O'Keefe, front row, Eddie Hoskins and Tom Kury, 2nd row, Mick Geoghan, Ron Clare, David Weild and Chris Batson, back row, Frank Minjoy, Joe Velo Colin Mitchell, Garry Williams and Bob Cook.

If any are wrong I'm sure somebody will put it right.

willey

When you couldn't wait for the weekend to just practice or bowl a tourney.Even if it was a house one !!!!!

1979 SPC

2nd from left Barry Wallace
Next to Keith Sly Barry Wicks
Right of Hoskins Mario Marozzi
Joe Velo is not there.
My recollection of the final is that Eddie Hoskins was first by ~300 pins, but Batson beat him in the final playoff

:groupwave2:George Scranton

Moorabbin Bowl 1969 The great ol days

George a true gentleman he let me borrow a house ball and shoes to bowl in my first Aust Champs at Cross Road Bowl where I had my first success in this
great sport of ours in C Grade
That was the start of it all for me Thanks George
To all the members of the Munsters League they were great days
Especially the pot games after league which often went on until 2am

Thanks for the memories guys

:):):)

I have to add my own George Scranton comment - I worked every other Saturday at Chadstone with George....the other Saturday with Fred James [anyone remember Fred?]....one Saturday was sensational - the next horrible - it's not hard to work out from other posts in this thread about George which was which. Scranton was just a sensational man - and Fred James - well James had a downside or ten..more in fact. Two men in the same business couldn't have been more different in personality...guess which one was the more senior [and I don't mean in age!]? Kind of sums up some of the industries problems right there!

The then (89) newly formed Victorian Graded Bowlers Organisation (VGBO) holding events and getting 140 odd qualifyers. Holding events in Colac, Ballarat and Geelong and getting at least 80+ bowlers turn up to bowl qualifying. You had the ATBA licking their lips at the prospect of the bowlers filtering into the ATBA events.

However even after a couple of years in the early 90's times had changed (recession we had to have) and the VGBO merged with the MTBOV and still had large numbers of bowlers show up in the equivalent division but each event saw the numbers reduce.

Its sad to see that the MTBOV now is no longer and the subsequent history of those glory days for a lot of my fellow VGBO / MTBOV competitors is now just a fading memory.

Back
Top Bottom