Pattern for Emerson Shield Poll

How do you feel about the pattern put down at Emerson?

• Total voters
it was a true shot making condition

dylan and alicia especially made it look very very easy at times

whether its right or wrong, who knows

epping had their chance to show the bowling commuinty what they could do, and i think they did a pretty good job

firstly well done 2 werribee on the win as for the condition it was tough but like alot of people have said u need to adjust your game for different conditions i struggled but was due more 2 not having the right equipment but that another stoty.i would like to say well done to my rama team mates who never gave up even when we were struggling it was our first final and we all enjoyed ourselfs and we had a ball doing it we had over half our team mens and ladies playing in thier first final and i am proud of wot we done also thanku to tonx who helped our team out both friday and over the weekend c u all next year cheers michael o'keefe

i just wonder weather emerson was design for the league bowler 2 have a weekend where they can go out and have a crack. Not for the elite that bowl tournament week in week out so there ego's can be inflated.

Max :rolleyes: :confused:

A couple of options in the poll say "unfair" mate :p

The only person who stated it was UNFAIR was Tonx who put the poll up. No one has stated it was UNFAIR in any of there posts.

The reason that people voted for the unfair option was there was no other option for people to chose if they didnt agree with the condition.

Larissa

The only person who stated it was UNFAIR was Tonx who put the poll up. No one has stated it was UNFAIR in any of there posts.

The reason that people voted for the unfair option was there was no other option for people to chose if they didnt agree with the condition.

Larissa

Did you find last years pattern at Geelong unfair?

The reason I ask is that I'm trying to work out what exactly was unfair about last weekend compared to other Emerson stages. Was it the length of oil (which meant people had to slow things down or move out of a comfort zone)??

I just wonder if the same things would've been said had Epping been extremely dry on the weekend.

My inkling is that most of the complaints will probably be in relation to the length of the oil.

In my opinion a center that hosts the final should be entitled to lay down a pattern which will give their own team the best chance to win. I believe Luke did this by laying a similar pattern to one that (correct me if I'm wrong) all of the members of that team bowled on in league in the last 3 weeks.

Two years ago when we won at home this was the case. Whilst it was open for everyone, there was still an element of playing the right section of the lane in order to utilise the area, and in that particular year we had a lot of experience and practice on playing the right area.

Epping also kindly offered to lay the pattern down for anyone in the week before the tournament (which speaking from experience they are quite willing to lay any pattern). Everyone was provided an opportunity to "test" the pattern before the weekend.

From a spectators point of view, the condition looked tough, but scoarable. I will say this though, Werribee is widely considered as one of the "easier" houses in the state, yet both their men's and womens sides were not only winners, but DOMINANT all weekend, on what was quite obviously a much tougher condition than these bowlers rock up to bowl on week in week out.

No matter what the condition, the cream always rises to the top.

Did you find last years pattern at Geelong unfair?

For the bowlers who are picking the unfair option, I'd reckon they would mean Inappropriate which I think is the word the poll should state...cleary the pattern is fair but maybe to some it was inappropriate.

There was no more oil this year at Epping than there was at Geelong last year imo

For the bowlers who are picking the unfair option, I'd reckon they would mean Inappropriate which I think is the word the poll should state...cleary the pattern is fair but maybe to some it was inappropriate.

There was no more oil this year at Epping than there was at Geelong last year imo

I agree with this but there were no complaints last year? I can see this thread getting quite spiteful. As long as people realise that everyone is entitled to an opinion even if it does vary to your own!

This was my first Emerson & I totally enjoyed every moment of it.

I have to agree & disagree with alot that has been said here.

Firstly I can see the points of the people who only bowl one night a week because a majority of my team were in that catergory. But in saying that most of them bowled better than there average, so I dont think it mattered to them on the condition that was laid.

But my other point is which no one has mentioned, why is there an issue with the condition that was laid on the weekend, when the Zone final at Mildura had even lower scores bowled?
I do remember that alot was said about it being too hard at mildura & too easy at Bowl-a-rama.
Can centres ever win on what they lay down?

I personally enjoyed the challenge of the condition on the weekend & thought that there was a shot there, but whether you carried or not was a different story.

Jenny ;)

I agree with this but there were no complaints last year? I can see this thread getting quite spiteful. As long as people realise that everyone is entitled to an opinion even if it does vary to your own!

It will only get spiteful if ppl let it..

Tonx put the poll up for all...

Everything on here is just ppl opinions, and should be treated as such...

Dont ask, if you dont want to know (thats my theory).

Everyone has a different view on things.

I would have to agree with you on this one. The condition I think was inappropriate for this event. This is my opinion and I am entitled to it.

Craig

If I am right I think 2 of our bowlers went over to Epping to bowl on the pattern that they were going to lay for this event but Epping didn't lay the correct pattern. Also which option would you suggest I chose in the poll if I thought the condition was inappropriate but the result would not have changed.

If people dont like people's opinion why bother asking? Tonx asked for you to comment if you liked and that is what we have done only to be accused of things that people know nothing about.

Larissa

As a spectator, and a previous bowler of all but 2 emerson shields, l thought the atmosphere was lacking over the weekend. It did not seem to have the same atmosphere throughout the bowl that i have seen since 2001 at every state final.

Why was this? no idea?

Was it the conditions? I have to say l feel it played a part. The mens team l was managing was struggling with the length & volume of oil. The majority of the team are 1 house bowlers (a couple excluded) and the condition layed was very different to what they are used to, and struggled to adapt, and felt frustrated. This meant the team was flat over the weekend, and l think this may have happened to a number of other bowlers as well.

Was it the bowl? This also may have added to what l think l was a lck of atmospher. And please note, l am not knocking the bowl in anyway here. The corporate area, was great, the standard area of the bowl is wide open, and plenty of room as well, but it really did feel like you were in 2 different bowls at times. Maybe this is due to the layout, of the corporate playing area to the normal area, or just the fact the big glass wall divided the spectators apart. Not sure.

My personal opinion is, that if l was bowling this year, l would have loved to have had the pattern, looked challenging, looked open as well, if you adjusted, made the correct moves, read the lane changes, and the like, all those things that if your a tournament bowler you should be able to do.

Now l understand that people will say well this is a tournament, and if bowlers want to improve that you need to be able to do these things........ but....... a number of the bowlers who compete in this event, are not tournament bowlers, they are bowlers who bowl once / twice a week on lets face it, in most centres these days, pretty easy conditions, and this is what they are used to, and would never have seen anything like this before.

It is these bowlers who come to this event to represent the centre they bowl for, and want to have a good time, and it is those bowlers who have been effected by the tougher conditions layed on the weekend, and it is also and l hope this is not the case, may choose not to represent thier centre next year, due to the fact they were unable to bowl like they do at home.

I am not saying the scoring pace needs to be a 250 average, but as Gary pointed out in an earlier post it was only 3 pins higher overall for the mens division at Geelong last year.

The cream will always come to the top, no matter what pattern is layed down.

Sorry for the long, long, long post. im sure get flamed for some of these comments. :)

lance,

The mens team need the girls to cheer for them as we had no problems creating our own atmosphere. The men might have need to adapt our secret weapon with the names to relax and enjoy themselves a bit more:)

This was my first Emerson & I totally enjoyed every moment of it.

I have to agree & disagree with alot that has been said here.

Firstly I can see the points of the people who only bowl one night a week because a majority of my team were in that catergory. But in saying that most of them bowled better than there average, so I dont think it mattered to them on the condition that was laid.

But my other point is which no one has mentioned, why is there an issue with the condition that was laid on the weekend, when the Zone final at Mildura had even lower scores bowled?
I do remember that alot was said about it being too hard at mildura & too easy at Bowl-a-rama.
Can centres ever win on what they lay down?

I personally enjoyed the challenge of the condition on the weekend & thought that there was a shot there, but whether you carried or not was a different story.

Jenny ;)

Very good point Jenny.

On a personal level I didnt bowl great but its my highest average and best percentage of points won for a Emerson or Country Cup so I guess Im pretty happy with most of my performance. Average was a bit below my league averages but I didnt go away expecting to bowl what i do at home. :)

Was an interesting time early in the first day learning a new 10 pin line on the fly as the ball returns are in a different spot to home and I was unable to stand where I usually do and missed the first few from the right lane, but its all a learning experience and I have learned quite a bit from the weekend and next time i'll be better prepared.

Trav.

Back
Top Bottom