Update: Sport Bowling Training Weekend

STEROID

From the SPORT BOWLING TRAINING WEEKEND post last week, there were approximately 45 people interested in participating. I am very overwhelmed by the interest in my “brainstorming” idea. I appreciate the interest.
I have decided to organise the dates and details of the weekend(s). Upon further organisation, I realised that I was overambitious with my previous sport psychology training sessions and may not be able to fit them all in one weekend, so they have been modified slightly. Unfortunately, a deposit is needed to reserve your spot because I need to know an approximate number of bowlers to organise the weekend(s). I am also going to America in December and I will organise USBC approved oil patterns while I am there. (Once again please see Sport Bowling Coming to Mentone in this post for more information about sport bowling)

Here are the details:

When would the sport bowling weekend be?
January 7-8, 2006 (Youth and Junior Bowlers)
Check in: 9:30am Start time: 10am, January 7, 2006

January 15-16, 2006 (Adult and Senior Bowlers)
Check in: 9:30am Start time: 10am, January 15, 2006

A minimum of 15 bowlers must be signed up for either weekend to proceed. If there are only 15-20 bowlers interested, the weekends will be combined into the January 15-16 weekend.
The first 15 bowlers in each age group will get first spots, others will be placed on a WAITING LIST. If there is overwhelming interest, another training weekend in January or February will be opened.
All bowlers will be notified by email or phone if the date of their weekend changes.

I RESERVE THE RIGHT TO CANCEL OR INCLUDE ADDITIONAL WEEKENDS TO (if necessary) ACCOMMODATE AN INCREASE OR DECREASE IN PARTICIPANTS.

Where will it be held? In Victoria… Mentone Tenpin Bowl (Corner of Warrigal Road & Nepean Highway) Mentone, Victoria 3195
Tel: (03) 9583 1244 Fax: (03) 9583 1246
Who could (should) attend? Any competitive bowlers that plan on bowling in tournaments anytime during 2006.
How much? The entire weekend will cost $100 per person (Lunch and overnight accommodation WILL NOT be included and is at the expense of the participant)
How many people can participate per weekend? A maximum of 15-20 people per weekend. My goal is to make it as personal and one-on-one as possible.
What will I get for participating?
• An intense training bowling weekend (7-8 hours of on and off lane training per day)
• 20 games of bowling on at least 4 different sport bowling oil patterns (USBC approved)
• One on-lane individual video taped session per person (you can keep your video tape)
• Reading oil patterns training and handout (for you to keep)
• Assessment of and official practice training techniques
• Sport psychology (mental skills) training
Taking responsibility for your actions (with possible handout for you to keep)
Concentration skills for difficult oil patterns
Goal setting (if time permits)
Anxiety management (if time permits)
Dealing with adversity (if time permits)
• Possibly a guest speaker (an international competitive bowler who has bowled on numerous sport bowling oil patterns)

If you are interested, please complete the attached participation form and send it and a $50 non-refundable deposit to Mentone Tenpin Bowl. This information MUST BE RECEIVED BEFORE November 22, 2005 to reserve your spot. Your deposit will be returned to you ONLY if both weekends are cancelled.

The sport psychology itinerary may change depending on the feedback I receive from specific bowlers about what they want to learn from the weekend.

Also, if there is enough interest I may proceed to organise other weekends to run different sport psychology topics that I don’t cover during these initial two weekends. What do you all think?

Other potential topics:
Determining and increasing your pocket hitting rate through physical and psychological skills
Increasing sparing through sport psychology techniques
Developing versatility by practicing the 5 major physical adjustments
Error recovery training to deal with sport bowling patterns
Frustration and anger management: Maintaining composure on difficult oil patterns

Please email me on [email protected] if you have any questions, comments, or suggestions about the weekend(s).

Chris Mesagno

Chris will be completing his Ph.D. in Sport and Exercise Psychology this year. He is a competitive bowler of 20 years, has participated on the University of Florida (U.F.; U.S.A.) collegiate bowling team, was assistant coach of the U.F. bowling team, and is a U.S.A. Bowling Bronze Level Certified Coach. He was also a member of the 2003 and 2004 Victorian State Rachuig Team.

Attachments

• sport bowling weekendcoaching survey.pdf
    18.2 KB · Views: 66
When will u let us know if the weekends have to be combined into 1 so then jason and chris from tassie can change there flights if they have to c'mon juniors youth adn adult this is going to be a good weekend.

Chris

i will send you the depoist soon steroid, but finding out if it will be on more than one weekend would be great so i can organise it with work and the wallet

Hi guys,

It has been brought to my attention that the dates for the 2nd weekend were incorrect. The dates for the adult and seniors weekend is January 14-15 (NOT THE 15-16). I knew I was close, but these are now the EXACT DATES!

Also, I have included on this post a revised participation form. Please send that in with your deposit. FOR THOSE THAT HAVE ALREADY COMPLETED THE OLD ONE, DON'T FRET, EITHER ONE WILL BE FINE.

To Chris and Jason... I should know about combining the weekends by November 22 because that is when the deposits are due. Starting in November, I will post updates each week on this forum, similar to a "squad listing", to show how many people we have participating in each weekend so that everyone has enough time to plan for it. About flights, I would suggest you wait until sometime in November to make your flight reservations. Any other questions, Please email me on [email protected]

Ok guys... until later. Keep the dialogue flowing...
chris

Chris Mesagno is the Victoria State Representative of the TBA Sport Psychology Team and will be completing his Ph.D. in Sport and Exercise Psychology this year. He is a competitive bowler of 20 years, has participated on the University of Florida (U.F.; U.S.A.) collegiate bowling team, was assistant coach of the U.F. bowling team, and is a U.S.A. Bowling Bronze Level Certified Coach. He was also a member of the 2003 and 2004 Victorian State Rachuig Team.

Attachments

• sport bowling weekendcoaching survey REVISED.pdf
    13.9 KB · Views: 34
Hi everyone,
Just a reminder... Only about 6 weeks to get your deposit into Mentone bowl to reserve your spot in either of the sport bowling training weekends in January.
Word has it that I already have 3 deposits for the weekends in January. I haven't confirmed that yet, but if people are already sending in their entries, then there may be a lot of interest in the weekends.
Just to inform you again, being placed in the first two weekends depends on when your entry and deposit are received at Mentone. That is, it is on a first come, first serve basis. So get the entry and deposit in soon so you will be a definite for the 2 weekends in January!
I will keep you updated on how many people are on which weekend within the next couple of weeks.
thanks
chris
Chris Mesagno is the Victoria State Representative of the TBA Sport Psychology Team and will be completing his Ph.D. in Sport and Exercise Psychology this year. He is a competitive bowler of 20 years, has participated on the University of Florida (U.F.; U.S.A.) collegiate bowling team, was assistant coach of the U.F. bowling team, and is a U.S.A. Bowling Bronze Level Certified Coach. He was also a member of the 2003 and 2004 Victorian State Rachuig Team.

Just a reminder. The date to have your deposit into Mentone Bowl for the Sport Bowling Training Weekend is about 1 month away (November 22, 2005) and is fast approaching. I have about 5 entries so far and they have guaranteed their spot on the designated weekends. The quicker you get your deposit in, the better chance you have of being placed in one of the first 2 weekends. I am expecting the January 14-15 weekend to fill up fast as I have 2 bowling centres that have suggested they are bringing 4-6 people each for that weekend, but have not sent deposits yet.

Deposits will be refunded ONLY if the weekends DO NOT go ahead.

Another possible sport psychology topic could be:
“Playing the ditch”: Psychological strategies for playing the gutter shot.

If you have any questions... email me.
chris

Hey everyone!

Just reminding you that there is LESS THAN 3 WEEKS left to send your deposit to Mentone bowl to reserve your spot in the Sport Bowling Training Weekend. So far there are 7 (3 adults and 4 youth) bowlers who have sent their deposits in and reserved their spots in the weekend. The sooner you send your deposit, the better chance of getting the weekend you want.

I have been speaking with Steve Arundell about organising the weekends and we are both excited to be apart of developing such a "development camp." Depending on the quality of the bowlers, there will be information for everyone... even athletes that have previously represented Australia or current Australian representatives. Much of the weekend will involve how to read oil patterns, and adjustments necessary on sport bowling oil patterns, both commonly misunderstood and underdeveloped areas that bowlers minimally practice when training.

Also, if there are enough bowlers for 3 weekends, Weekend # 3 will be on January 21-22, 2006.

I will also be at Dunn Shield at Keon Park this Saturday to take deposits and/or participation forms. Good luck to ALL Dunn Shield bowlers.

As always, email me if you have any questions on [email protected]

Thanks
Chris

Thanks Chris, I'll be anticipating your entry within the next week or so.

Just another update... After taking deposits at the Dunn Shield tournament on the weekend, we have 20 entries for the Sport Bowling Training Weekends.

If we get 30 bowlers (which it looks like we might), the 2 weekends will go ahead as planned. It looks like, unless we get more youth/junior bowlers, the first weekend may be a combined adult/youth/junior weekend. Right now, the January 14-15 weekend has 15 bowlers and is full. I will not be taking any more entries for that weekend. If that is the only weekend you are available, please email me and we may be able to work something out. Please send in your deposits and participation forms ASAP to reserve your spot!

The attached revised participation form should be used. This includes an "email address" so I can contact people by email if necessary.
I will post another message on Tuesday, Nov. 15 to update you on how many people we have for the weekends.

Come on guys, show us that you want to promote bowling as a SPORT instead of a recreational/ leisure game as most people think it is!!!!

thanks guys,
chris

Attachments

• sport bowling weekendcoaching survey REVISED2.pdf
    18.9 KB · Views: 31
hi chris, jason here.

i will more than likely only be able to make the one weekend as its going to be very hard as it stands to get two weekends off work. so at the moment ill only be able to attend the one weekend but if it changes ill let you know.

a few questions, how far away from the airport is the bowling alley this will be held at? cause i may have to taxi there. and are there hotels close by? im trying to sort out money situations so i can actually attend cause as it stands ive got no where to stay lol. so any help woud be muchly appreciated :)

From memory a hotel is across the road.

a taxi will about $50 bucks, maybe, not sure at all, anyone got any ideas.

The airport bus would be cheaper, and would stop somewhere around the bowl l think.

Hi Jason,

Lance is right, there is a hotel across the road. Its called Mentone Hub Inn.

The airport bus is your best option to get to the hotel as it stops outside the hotel and will be heaps cheaper. Their website is www.fapas.com.au.

Hope this helps.

Bec

dont worry about me chris will catch up with you soon and get some on lane coaching personally and you can pay me for it hahaha catch ya soon :D

Hi guys,
Only one week until the deposit deadline for the Sport Bowling Training Weekends. With the recent tournament developments (i.e., AMF Grand Prix and Victorian Tournament Circuit), this would be a good method of preparation (especially mentally) for tournaments next year!!!

So far, we have 23 entries in the weekends. They are as follows:
Scott Law
Jo Law
James Blennerhassett
John Allen
Ray Thompson
Jayson Griggs
Jayson Bundy
Peroula Kosmidis
Daniel McNairn
Grant Lynch
Tracy Silva
Les Morrow
Maurice Sgroi
Paul Francis
Jeanette Kent
Graeme O'Connor
Natalie O'Connor
Cheryl Naylor
Adrian Costello
Jack Livingstone
Hugh Livingstone
Bridget Artufel
Rebecca Robinson

With the people and amount of entries so far, it looks like it will be 2 weekends of intense training and fun.

Next week I will post a final list of people after the deposit deadline and will inform you of which weekend you are allocated to. For those of you that have given me a deposit, but have not sent in your "participation form," please download the participation form and send it to mentone bowl ASAP. It will help me in determining the participants in each weekend!

Please email me if you have any questions or comments about a preferred weekend.

thanks
chris

just a quick question, would any one be interested in taking in an interstater for the sports training weekend, im willing to give some one some money for the weekend to cover fuel and allowing me to stay. just pm me if possible

regards
jason griggs

Hi everyone,

Steve Arundell and I have decided to limit the training weekends to 15 bowlers per weekend, so that means the 2 weekends are now FULL .

So far, this is the list and days that people will participate. If you have a problem with this list and the day you may be bowling, email me ASAP. I will be finalising a list of people sometime within the next week. This list is based on averages, your preferred weekend, and other miscellaneous information.

January 7-8
Jason Griggs
Elliot Renshaw
Brahm Price
Morris Sgroi
Jack Livingston
Hugh Livingston
Bridget Artufel
Paul Francis
Rebecca Robinson
Jeanette Kent
Peter Fermosa
Pete Mitchell
Greg Carter
Betty Carter
Andrew Tonkin

January 15-16
Les Morrow
Tracy Silva
Daniel McNairn
Petrulo Kasmidis
Grant Lynch
Jayson Bundy
Graeme O'Connor
Nat O'Connor
Giao Nguyen
Cheryl Naylor
Adrian Costello
Ray Cooper
Scott Law
Jo Law
Ray Thompson

James Blennerhassett (president shield, may not attend training weekend)
John Allen (president shield, may not attend training weekend)

There are people that have NOT sent their participation form yet. They are:
Daniel McNairn
Petrulo Kasmidis
Grant Lynch
Jayson Bundy
Graeme O'Connor
Nat O'Connor
Peter Fermosa
Adrian Costello
Giao Nguyen
Andrew Tonkin

PLEASE FAX or SEND your participation form to Mentone bowl ASAP, so I know where I should start my discussions on the weekends.

If you still want to participate in a training weekend, we are now taking deposits for the weekend of January 21-22, 2006, once again there will only be 15 SPOTS available for that weekend! We are also planning another weekend in February (should be announced in January) and will cover DIFFERENT TOPICS than the January weekends. Thus, if you send a deposit and 15 bowlers do not sign up for the January 21-22 weekend, your deposit will be sent back to you OR you will be placed on the list for the February weekend. PLEASE SEND YOUR DEPOSIT AND PARTICIPATION FORM TO MENTONE BOWL BY JANUARY 4, 2006 TO RESERVE YOUR SPOT IN EITHER OF THOSE WEEKENDS. I have provided an updated participation form below.

Thanks so much for your interest guys. This is truly fantastic and remarkable for our great sport!

chris

Attachments

• sport bowling survey Jan and Feb.pdf
    18.8 KB · Views: 24
we should be thanking you chris and all the others involved for giving us such a great oppourtunity to further our games. its not often that things like this come around guys so put your names down for the other weekends, im sure no one will be disappointed

Back
Top Bottom