Emerson Shield bowlers - Do you really know where your money goes?

wchester

Bowling Tragic
Important information for ALL Emerson Shield bowlers

The 2008 Emerson Shield attracted a grand total of 30 teams (16 mens and 14 women's teams) all of which paid a $350 entry fee for the zone finals to determine the top 10 team in each division which then went on to bowl the finals at Epping in November...

Out of this $350 per team, $200 was taken out for lineage, leaving $150 per team to go into a "finals prize fund" and expense fee.

$150 x 30 = $4,500 to be accounted for. The finals cost each team a $450 entry fee. The entire sum going to lineage, with no additional "prize monies"

I spoke with a number of bowlers at the finals and to a man, they all told me that in past years whenever he was asked about the payout, Ray Hodges would not provide a clear answer. Below, are copies of my emails, showing the financial breakdown which was grudgingly provided to me (after a number of emails requests) by Ray Hodge of Goldpin Victoria. As you can see, there is still quite a bit of "prize money" which has not been awarded.

I asked Ray Hodge for a breakdown of the entry fees for the Emerson and this is what I got ....
The collective cost was;

Prizemoney $1000
Shirts $ 700
Medallions $ 900
Admin $ 600

Total $3200

At which point I questioned Ray, asking what happened to the other $1,300 and I received this answer.

"The extra money is not actually extra but an internal adjustment between the centres and Goldpin which is done periodically"
In speaking with a few of the Goldpin member centres, I've been told that they have no idea what this means. If the money is being used to subsidise the prize funds of other Goldpin tournaments, then it is forbidden by TBA rule #813-1
All prize money collected in an event will be returned to the participants in that event. Certificates, medallions or trophies required in addition to cash prizes for an event may be purchased out of that event’s prize fund.

I brought this up with the TBA, who I thought were supposed to look after the bowler's welfare and Gillian rang me back saying she had no problem with any of this since the cash payout ($1000) and distribution and number of medallions was listed in the Emerson Rules which each centre received.

Her words were, "the bowlers knew the payout going in and it was their decision whether or not to bowl". Additionally, she said that it was NOT the responsibility of the TBA to look after its members, but that each bowler was responsible for their own well being.

I really feel cheated that Goldpin kept $1,900 or 42% of the prize monies as "expenses" and extremely disappointed that this can and does happen under the watchful eye of our Sport's National Governing Body

I believe if the actual figures were posted, ie 42% of the prize fund NOT being returned, then they'd be of a different mind....

I chose not to bowl the Emerson Shield again because of the above situation..
now it's your choice as well.

Dunno about other centres, but I dont pay a cent to bowl in Emerson, my centre pays for all lineage and whatever else. I just buy a shirt.

Wayne i have one simple question for you. How long have you had this infomation. Seems strange that you would wait till just before the first roll of to voice your concern. If this is the reason you didnt participate in Emerson shield you must have had this info for a while. Wayne is there a hidden agenda here.

Phil

The long lost conspiracy theory Wayne. You have been sitting on this for a while now and I actually thought you had forgotten about it or decided not to post it.

And Phil, Wayne always has a hidden agenda.

I didnt think anyone paid for Emerson, i thought they all did it like Melton. It was nice to wear my 2004 shirt again after 18 months too :)

Wayne i have one simple question for you. How long have you had this infomation. Seems strange that you would wait till just before the first roll of to voice your concern. If this is the reason you didnt participate in Emerson shield you must have had this info for a while. Wayne is there a hidden agenda here.

Phil

I've had this information for months, as have others who are involved with Emerson. I've waited until now to post it for all to see because I wanted the facts to be fresh in the minds of any bowlers who might be in a position to ask questions during their respective zone finals. There is No hidden agenda. I am doing this for the good of the sport, and that's the sole reason.

Dunno about other centres, but I dont pay a cent to bowl in Emerson, my centre pays for all lineage and whatever else. I just buy a shirt.
same with Colac - but i would be interested to see if we are in the minority or majority

If this is the reason you didnt participate in Emerson shield you must have had this info for a while.

I'm pretty sure he isn't bowling because he can't physically sustain any number of games at the moment.

When I bowled for Shepparton, we paid our own lineage, accommodation and shirts....in fact all our own expenses.

As for the entry fee.....the bowl pays that and we just pay for the number of games we bowl. Have no idea where it's allocated to or what the break up of it is.

I'm sure Goldpin wouldn't risk their credibility by trying to rip off the bowlers. There are proprietors out there who I'm sure would ask the question as to where all the money goes??!!

It's not a matter of bowling just win the prize money. It's more like why isn't the collected prize money actually being used as prize money? Something isn't kosher and I like bowlers to get a fair deal.

Why dont you ask your centre Manager or Owner / operator. As most of these people go to regular Goldpin Meetings and everything is usually tabled and discussed and voted on. In all the years that I have been associated with Goldpin I have never known them or Ray to do anything that is not kosher with all concerned. Plus this tournament was designed for all bowlers to participate in a FUN Team event on an annual basis with the winning team having BRAGGING rights for the next 12 months, it seems to have worked well for quite a few years.:confused:

its a shame to hear some pay large amounts though, when others pay relatively nothing

if i recall, geelong cost me nothing, and werribee was either the same, or a very small fee

both i believe gave exceptional value for money when it came to this event

It's not a matter of bowling just win the prize money. It's more like why isn't the collected prize money actually being used as prize money? Something isn't kosher and I like bowlers to get a fair deal.

Ahhhh i feel so safe now knowing that somebody is looking after me getting a fair deal. I will sleep well tonight ( with tongue planted firmly in my cheek)

Phil

:):):)

same with Colac - but i would be interested to see if we are in the minority or majority

At Bendigo, the bowlers pay for everything.

Trials, shirts, linage, accomodation etc.

its a shame to hear some pay large amounts though, when others pay relatively nothing

if i recall, geelong cost me nothing, and werribee was either the same, or a very small fee

both i believe gave exceptional value for money when it came to this event

In the two emerson's I have bowled in, I am sure we paid a fair bit, that was another reason why it was not high on the list of events to be bowled in by the majority of 'high end' (for lack of better words) bowlers at Morwell.

Also if anyone knows the Morwell Team or when the trials acutally finished or anything about what is going on please tell us as there is no team list (I know of half a dozen guys that placed entries) the staff havent got a clue and its supposed to be in a couple of weeks!!!!!!
WTF

Also if anyone knows the Morwell Team or when the trials acutally finished or anything about what is going on please tell us as there is no team list (I know of half a dozen guys that placed entries) the staff havent got a clue and its supposed to be in a couple of weeks!!!!!!
WTF

Trials have been finished nearly a month now - Not enough interest for a male or female team - like I said earlier couple of superstars in the draft ;)

Trials have been finished nearly a month now - Not enough interest for a male or female team - like I said earlier couple of superstars in the draft ;)

Nice to be notified, when I enquired on Wednesday night, nobody had a clue what was happening. Quality.
So does that mean the bowlers who nominated had to enter the draft or was
it done automaticaly, because if we had to nominate its a bit ****ing late now i think.

Back
Top Bottom