Emerson Shield - 2007

Gatsby

a.k.a Bary Glack
I know that Emerson shield is a long way away, but there are going to be a couple of major changes to the format this year and i have a couple of queries as to how they are going to occur (Most of these questions were posted on the 2006 Emerson thread but have not yet been answered)

1) - If your centre doesn't bowl zone final can they still bowl in the repecharge final?

2) - If all non automatic qualifiers nominate for the repecharge that is potentially 14 teams. Does that mean one full round of 13 games over two days?. Will both Men and Womens repecharge be held in the same centre at same time? (Not many 28 lanes centres about).

3) - What if only 4 teams nominate for the recharge will it still be held? (how about if only 3 teams nominate -- will the final run 1 team short?)

4) What date is the repecharge going to be held? (very busy schedule of tournaments already) -- it might mean that the zone finals need to be completed earlier. Will the date be known before bowlers commit to trying to make their centres team.

5) Will the zones be the same again? I notice that Geelong bowlarama fielded a team in the Goldpin seniors cup - does that mean they will be included into the western zone?

6) Will the bye be the same for all zone finals / repecharge / final (if needed). Last year some zones bowled against the bye other zones did not. Would make sense to have it the same for all.

7) Will the draft system be used and if so are any changes likely?

I know that Ray Hodge now has a sign on for total bowling, so hopefully he may be able to answer some or all of these questions. The event has become very popular in just a few short years and i am sure that i am not the only one that is curious as to what is going to happen this year.

Other people might have some good suggestions for other changes. I have had people comment to me on things such as All Star shirts, Participation awards after 5 years or 10 years etc. Feel free to post and lets make Emerson 2007 even better.

Gary
So many questions.
Do you sit up at night worrying.
Get a life - whoops sorry you live in Colac
David
No - i don't sit up all night worrying -- i am too tired from worrying all day.

If the questions don't get asked then when the problem arises noone will know what to do.

We are likely to be bowling in the repecharge quite often - we don't all have easy zones :p Therefore i would like to know how it is going to work.

Craig

I've got my serious face on.

Gatsby - are you saying our zone is a little bit easy?????

Well .......... maybe you are right. It may be a little bit easier than a couple of others. It was always fun watching what happened in the past, in your zone.

David

Gatsby - are you saying our zone is a little bit easy?????
Well it certainly was easy in 2006 with Shepparton not bowling zone, but with three strong teams fighting for just two automatic spots it won't be so easy this year - you might have to study those repecharge rules too mate ......

Actually if you were going to be technical you would say that the east was the weakest zone this year. In the final, the top 5 spots were either Western or Northern teams.

i have always said the east is easy

just like half the morwell female population and woza of course. who is currently on sick leave from the site.

Gary, I would love to answer your questions but I don't have holidays coming up at the moment.
I'll have to type quickly.
Question 1: No
Question 2: That's the format I would favour in that scenario.

Men and Women would possibly bowl in different centres. It would be subject to the number of entries and the particular centres involved.

Question 3: A repecharge would only be held when necessary. You must be getting bored now, only three teams nominating, won't happen, but, if it did, yes we would be a team short.

Question 4: Yes Gaz, it is a busy schedule. Zone finals will be held no later than 1st week of August. Date and location of repecharge will be finalised and published with confirmation of zone hosts in February.

Question 5: Bowlarama have not applied for Emerson. Logically they would be placed in the Western Zone if they are included. At this point, the zones will be the same as 2006.

Question 6: All rules will be uniform throughout all stages of Emerson Shield for 2007 and onwards.

Question 7: The draft will be available this year. I have taken on board the thoughts regarding the vacancy winning points being a deterrant to using the draft, and accordingly, the vacancy score will not win individual points in 2007

Your thoughts on All Star shirts have been aired at Goldpin meetings and in general discussion on many occassions. Whilst awarding shirts is not something we are opposed to, the reasons Goldpin have chosen not to in the past are; cost, the fact they have no specific competition to wear them in and, there is no platform to present them in. There is no right or wrong answer to All Star shirts. This is the position we have adopted at this time.

Rest assured, if I ever make an All Star team, there will be shirts.

Signing off now, hope these answers help. My next holidays are in April.

Thanks Ray - much appreciated. I am sure that others will have questions from time to time as well. Whilst in theory these can be raised at Goldpin meetings it is nice to able to get them answered quicker on total bowling.

I, for one, really enjoy Emerson and i think talking it up and tinkering with some of these minor issues will only make it stronger in the future. A suggestion that was given to me was to reduce the amount of $ for high games from $25 back to $15 that will give an extra $180 per division. You would go close to paying for 10 shirts with $360. A lot of the high games are actually won by All star team members anyway. Although the other side of the coin is that high games gives more people a chance of getting something back.

Enjoy your holiday - i'll see if i can come up with some harder questions for you next time.

If I may make a suggestion. I think that all zone finals should be held on the same weekend. Therefore everyone have the same opportunity to get accomodation. Unlike last year where the eastern zone the last to qualify and the chances of those centres getting accomodation were next to none.

Matthew Lambrick

P.S. What's happening with the All-stars certificates

HI Matthew, your team should book the Motel now. Most favourites book early........But you have made a good point.:cool:

Just to let everybody in the Eastern Zone know that Ed Fleming Lanes will host the Zone final this year.
Teams invited will be as follows:
1.Narre Warren
2.Sale
3.Morwell
4.Mentone
5.Rosebud
6.EFL

Maybe the various centres could advise what weekends are not suitable in July or August so we can start confirming dates etc. :cool:

not that it bothers me, but all zones should avoid mildura marathon weekend

narre favourites, joe have you not been getting much sleep of late ;)

Thats why he is wearing glasses in his picture. To hide the tiredness.

A suggestion that was given to me was to reduce the amount of $ for high games from $25 back to $15 that will give an extra $180 per division. You would go close to paying for 10 shirts with $360. A lot of the high games are actually won by All star team members anyway. Although the other side of the coin is that high games gives more people a chance of getting something back.

Gary,We're happy with the high game awards as they are. If we decide to award All Star shirts in the future it won't be at the expense of the existing awards.

If I may make a suggestion. I think that all zone finals should be held on the same weekend. Therefore everyone have the same opportunity to get accomodation. Unlike last year where the eastern zone the last to qualify and the chances of those centres getting accomodation were next to none.
Matthew Lambrick
P.S. What's happening with the All-stars certificates

Matt, centres are given a window of four weeks to conduct their roll-off. It's not practical or realistic to insist centres should use the same weekend but they are encouraged to do so.
Norm, (group secretary) is preparing certificates for early February dispatch.

not that it bothers me, but all zones should avoid mildura marathon weekend
narre favourites, joe have you not been getting much sleep of late ;)

Craig, zone finals will be conducted in July so the Mildura Marathon shouldn't be an issue.

Question 7: The draft will be available this year. I have taken on board the thoughts regarding the vacancy winning points being a deterrant to using the draft, and accordingly, the vacancy score will not win individual points in 2007
Definetly a step in the right direction - hopefully the guys that miss out on their local team will now be picked up in the draft

Back
Top Bottom