Update: Sport Bowling Training Weekend

Hi everyone,
Here is an updated (with minor changes) and "final" list of people participating in first 2 weekends in January. They are:

January 7-8
Jason Griggs
Elliot Renshaw
Brahm Price
Morris Sgroi
Jack Livingston
Hugh Livingston
Bridget Artufel
Paul Francis
Rebecca Robinson
Jeanette Kent
Peter Fermosa (PLEASE SEND YOUR PARTICIPATION FORM TO MENTONE)
Pete Mitchell
Greg Carter
Giao Nguyen
Andrew Tonkin (PLEASE SEND YOUR PARTICIPATION FORM TO MENTONE)

January 15-16
Les Morrow
Tracy Silva
Daniel McNairn (PLEASE SEND YOUR PARTICIPATION FORM TO MENTONE)
Petrulo Kasmidis (PLEASE SEND YOUR PARTICIPATION FORM TO MENTONE)
Grant Lynch (PLEASE SEND YOUR PARTICIPATION FORM TO MENTONE)
Jayson Bundy (PLEASE SEND YOUR PARTICIPATION FORM TO MENTONE)
Graeme O'Connor (PLEASE SEND YOUR PARTICIPATION FORM TO MENTONE)
Nat O'Connor (PLEASE SEND YOUR PARTICIPATION FORM TO MENTONE)
Cheryl Naylor
Adrian Costello
Ray Cooper
Scott Law
Jo Law
Ray Thompson
Josh Morell

There is still time to put your deposit in for the weekend of January 21-22, 2006. I suspect that if we received 10 deposits, I will definitely proceed with that weekend also.

Thanks Jason for your encouragement and support, but I am only giving back to the sport what it has given to me. I am so passionate about the sport that I want to promote bowling as a sport and hope that it gets the respect it deserves in Australia.

I'm off to America on Saturday (Dec. 3)... I will be checking out oil patterns to use and talking with coaches to see what mental strategies are needed when bowling on sport bowling oil patterns. I hope to come back with lots of ideas to share with the sport bowling weekend participants!!!

Take care, guys.
Can't wait to share my knowledge with you!
chris

Chris Mesagno is the Victoria State Representative of the TBA Sport Psychology Team and will be completing his Ph.D. in Sport and Exercise Psychology this year. He is a competitive bowler of 20 years, has participated on the University of Florida (U.F.; U.S.A.) collegiate bowling team, was assistant coach of the U.F. bowling team, and is a U.S.A. Bowling Bronze Level Certified Coach. He was also a member of the 2003 and 2004 Victorian State Rachuig Team.

Hello (from Sunny Florida),

Just wanted to wish you all a very Merry Christmas and Happy New Year!

I have compiled a number of suggestions from coaches on mental strategies needed for sport bowling oil patterns in which I will be incorporating in January (and other sessions).

Just a reminder to send in your participation forms (for those that have not) to Mentone Bowl. Also, a reminder that we are still taking deposits for the January 21-22 weekend.

I will be coming back to Australia on December 30 and will give you an update about the weekends in early January.
Looking forward to seeing you guys next year!

chris

Chris Mesagno is the Victoria State Representative of the TBA Sport Psychology Team and will be completing his Ph.D. in Sport and Exercise Psychology this year. He is a competitive bowler of 20 years, has participated on the University of Florida (U.F.; U.S.A.) collegiate bowling team, was assistant coach of the U.F. bowling team, and is a U.S.A. Bowling Bronze Level Certified Coach. Chris is the author of a Bowling CD (Bowling: Health & Physical Activity Series) that is distributed to American colleges and universities. He was also a member of the 2003 and 2004 Victorian State Rachuig Team.

Hi all,

Just an update...

For those of you that are in the sport bowling training weekend this week (January 7-8), check-in time will be at 9:30am. Please arrive "relatively" on time, we have lots to cover in the little time we have.

Other than that, Steve and I have planned a fun-filled (as much as difficult oil patterns can be fun), demanding weekend ahead. Be prepared to be tested.

Peter, we did receive your participation form, thank you!

Lastly, two bowlers have pulled out of the January 15-16 weekend. If you would like to participate in the January 15-16 training weekend, please give mentone bowl a call 9583 1244. Mention to whomever takes the phone call that you would like to reserve your spot on that weekend specifically and leave a contact phone number. First come, first serve. I will return your phone call ASAP to let you know if you will be in that weekend.

Thanks guys,
Looking forward to the weekend. It should be fun!

chris

Chris Mesagno is the Victoria State Representative of the TBA Sport Psychology Team and will be completing his Ph.D. in Sport and Exercise Psychology this year. He is a competitive bowler of 20 years, has participated on the University of Florida (U.F.; U.S.A.) collegiate bowling team, was assistant coach of the U.F. bowling team, and is a U.S.A. Bowling Bronze Level Certified Coach. Chris is the author of a Bowling CD (Bowling: Health & Physical Activity Series) that is distributed to American colleges and universities. He was also a member of the 2003 and 2004 Victorian State Rachuig Team.

Hi everyone,
There is one spot that just became available for this Saturday and Sunday (Jan. 7-8 ) if anyone is interested. Please call me directly at 0421 813 019 if you are interested in attending.

I know it is short notice...

thanks
chris

well from my view the weekend was invaluable if nothing for more than bowling on the pba patterns.once you bowl on those you really do commend those guys for what they do week in week out. steroid and stev ran the weekend so well.it was really laid back an relaxed and a little informal but i found that to make the mood a little more comfortable and easier to learn in.honestly if you value yourself as a competition bowler and want to get up in the big guys level go to one or more of these weekends.you wont regret it i feel

Well said Griggsy, i felt that it was relaxed and it was really well run, i certainly learnt Heaps of Valuable information, and certainly i saw an improvement in my style of bowling, just with the few tips i was shown and it was very challenging to me as a bowler.

I know i will be attending many more of these weekend courses, i still want to learn as much as i can about bowling, so i can move up to a competative average and then go the extra mile.
Again i commend Chris and Steve on a job well done, Believe me you will certainly learn from these sessions.

Peter

Hey Guys,
Just wanted to congratulate Steroid and Steve for a great weekend. It was great to be challenged to a point where you really had to stop and think. Not only was the info valuable but it was great to get other peoples perspective and see how they adjust. I recommend going if not to just get a chance to bowl on different and challenging oil patterns but to hear someone else's perspective really gives you the chance to improve your game!
Great to meet you all!!!!
-Bridge :)

To Chris and Steve
WHAT a great weekend, and total agree with everything that has been said, and would not hesitate to come again. STEVE THANK YOU FOR SUPPORTING US BOWLERS OUT HERE and CHRIS THANK YOU FOR YOUR SUPPORT and commitment to the game
and nice to meet the guys from Tassie .

Jeanette:cool:

Just like to say what a fantastic time i had last weekend at Mentone
with Chris and Steve on a couple of the toughest conditions i've had the
pleasure of bowling on,50 foot of oil and all skid that's for the strokers of
coarse but did notice the guys who wacked the ball up where struggling a
touch to.
Great help with a lot of situations that you come up against in
everyones bowling career and don't really know how to combat,all in all
a great weekend that i would highly recommend to all average bowlers.
WELL DONE CHRIS AND STEVE.

Thanks everyone for your overwhelming support of this project! It was really fun last weekend and I expect it to be equally as fun this weekend.

As a result of the support and partly because February is not as "jam-packed" with bowling events, Steve and I have decided to run another sport bowling weekend in February. Here are the details:

Where will it be held? Mentone Tenpin Bowl (Corner of Warrigal Road & Nepean Highway) Mentone, Victoria 3195 Tel: (03) 9583 1244 Fax: (03) 9583 1246

Who could (should) attend? Any competitive bowlers that plan on bowling in tournaments anytime during 2006.

How much? The entire weekend will cost $100 per person (Lunch and overnight accommodation WILL NOT be included and is at the expense of the participant)

How many people can participate per weekend? A total of 10-15 people per weekend. My goal is to make it as personal and one-on-one as possible.

When will the weekend be held? February 18-19, 2006 or February 11-12, 2006 (this weekend will be used ONLY if another weekend is needed to accommodate bowlers)

What will I get for participating?
An intense training bowling weekend (7-8 hours of on and off lane training per day)
20 games of bowling on at least 4 different sport bowling oil patterns (USBC and/or TBA approved)
One on-lane individual session per person (possibly video-taped that you can keep)
Reading oil patterns training and handout (for you to keep)
Sport psychology (mental skills) training from any of the following topics:
o Creating better scoring opportunities by using the pins as the ally instead of the enemy (with possible handout for you to keep)
o Concentration skills for difficult oil patterns
o Goal setting
o Anxiety management/ Dealing with pressure
o Dealing with adversity
o Assessment of and official practice training techniques
o Determining and increasing your pocket hitting rate through physical and psychological skills
o Improving spare making through sport psychology techniques
o Developing versatility by practicing the 5 major adjustments
o Error recovery training to deal with sport bowling oil patterns
o Frustration and anger management: Maintaining composure on difficult oil patterns
o “Playing the ditch”: Psychological and physical strategies for playing the gutter shot
o Increasing concentration through proper emotional and arousal regulation
o Increasing self-confidence through various methods of practice
o Using visualisation (mental imagery) to increase spare and strike percentages

The sport psychology itinerary may change depending on the feedback I receive from specific bowlers (on their participation forms) about what they want to learn from the weekend.

If you are interested, please complete the participation form and send it and a $50 non-refundable deposit to Mentone Bowl. This information MUST BE RECEIVED BY February 1, 2006 to reserve your spot. Your deposit will be returned to you ONLY if the weekend is cancelled.

If you have any questions, please email me on [email protected]

thanks
Chris Mesagno

Attachments

• 2006 Feb sport bowling survey.pdf
    21.3 KB · Views: 29
Hi Guys,

Less than 2 weeks to go to send in your participation form and deposit to take part in the FEBRUARY sport bowling training weekend! I already have 3 entries, but need at least 10 to go ahead with the weekend! As you have heard from the previous posts, I believe that you will learn (at least 1 thing) from this experience!

If you plan on making some money in 2006, or would like to learn more about my goals for Australian bowlers and thinking "outside the box", come to the February training weekend. If nothing else, you will have invaluable experience on sport bowling oil patterns and tougher conditions than normal, which will make it easier to perform on "wide open" oil patterns.

As usual, if you have any questions, email me directly on [email protected]

thanks
chris

Hi Guys,

Only 1 week to go to send in your participation form and deposit to take part in the FEBRUARY sport bowling training weekend! We still only have 3 entries. We will need at least 10 entries to go ahead with the weekend! Send your deposit and participation form in TODAY!

I will post a final message sometime next week to let you know how many people and/or if we are going to be conducting any of the weekends.

thanks
chris

For those interested in these training weekends, but have not paid a deposit, I will be bowling this Thursday night (6:30pm-9pm) at Dandenong. You can drop your deposit and participation form to me at that time. Deposits are due on Wednesday, Febraury 1, but I will take deposits on Thursday. If you plan on giving me your deposit on Thursday, please email me so I know you are coming and so I can include you in the weekend.

Right now, the outcome of the weekends look a bit bleak as there are only 3 deposits that have been paid.

Come on guys, support the SPORT of bowling and send your deposits. From what previous participants have suggested, it is an enjoyable weekend for all.
chris

I have decided to extend the deadline date for accepting deposits for the Sport Bowling weekends to Wednesday February 8. Send deposits into Mentone Bowl today so you don't miss out on the opportunity!

With that said, the training weekend for February 11-12 has been CANCELLED and we will only be taking deposits now for the weekend of February 18-19 ! This will allow me to adequately plan for the weekend!

Once again, we will only be allowing 10-15 bowlers in the weekend and we already have 5 deposits. If we don't recieve 10 deposits (in hand, not verbal agreement) by the deadline date, the weekend will be cancelled and deposit will be given back to bowlers. With the AMF Grand Prix tournaments starting and many other tournaments being conducted this year, this weekend would be beneficial for anyone.

Come challenge yourself and have some fun in the process!!
chris

Hi Chris,

This just sounds too good to be true;

- 2 full days of coaching
- 20 games
- 4 different oil patterns
- sports phychology etc... etc...

...all for just $100.

Count me in. I'll drop off my deposit & participation form this weekend.

Hi Everyone,
Just wanted to inform you that the February 18-19 Sport Bowling Training Weekend has been CANCELLED. If you have sent in a deposit, I will be sending you an email to discuss returning your deposits to you.

Steve and I plan on running these weekends throughout the year, but not sure when yet. We'll have to plan them, as the weekends are filling fast with tournaments.

Thanks guys for your support for these weekends in January. I look forward to working with some of you in the future!
chris

i'm veary interested in attanding the next one you do here is my e-mail [email protected] could you plz seand me all details on the next weekend as soon as you have details to give out thanks

Back
Top Bottom