Pattern for Emerson Shield Poll

How do you feel about the pattern put down at Emerson?

• Total voters
I'll probably get shot down on this one - but i would like an intelligent answer.
I averaged about what i expected and i am not complaining about the conditions - i am just asking the question based on stats.

In the men there were 13 lefties --- average 182.17 (take out Porto and the average was 177)
There were 57 righties -- average 190.17
4 of the bottom 5 men's averages were lefties

That would suggest the left was harder .... yeah yeah i know --- first time for everything :p.

Is it as simple as lefties don't need to work on their game as much as righties because they get easier conditions and when struck with a tough pattern had no answers? Or is there more to it than that. Obviously the other side of the coin is that Porto was high average, but Porto could get a glass bowling ball to hook on ice so he is an exception.

To my eyes it seemed that the very good bowlers found a line and eventually shot decent numbers – regardless of whether they were left or right handed.

The difference I noticed was the righties who could not bowl on the fresh oil eventually got a bit of a shot later in the block as the lanes broke down, the lefties who could not find a shot on fresh oil had little or no break down and therefore had no shot. (probably no pattern is ever fair to everyone – but I am interested in what answers I get)

I'm still in the office and a little short in terms of time, but I think you also need to factor in the quality of the left handers that bowled. By no means disrespecting anyone, but in my opinion the number of solid / quality right handers outweighted the number of solid /quality left handers (in proportion to their percentage of the field). The fact that 4 of the bottom 5 bowlers were left handers may add further weight to my argument. Gary, just out of interest, can you provide a breakdown of what the top 30-40% of both sides averaged? That may provide a more accurate reflection.

Cheers,
Craig

I'll probably get shot down on this one - but i would like an intelligent answer.
I averaged about what i expected and i am not complaining about the conditions - i am just asking the question based on stats.

In the men there were 13 lefties --- average 182.17 (take out Porto and the average was 177)
There were 57 righties -- average 190.17
4 of the bottom 5 men's averages were lefties

the lefties who could not find a shot on fresh oil had little or no break down and therefore had no shot.

I bowled like a spastic, never slid (except for the one time that I fell) and yet I averaged 199. If you looked at where Porto and I were playing you'd have seen that we both began our approach left of ten. true, he hooked it but I was going pretty much up and at the pocket, which is all that my release would allow. The majority of the other lefthanders just didn't want to get outside of their comfort zones, which is why they struggled.

Condition was tough but fair.

If anything if played straight into our hands as it showed Emerson the depth our team had this year.

I found it quite enjoyable, and it was nice to engage the brain as opposed to hoping to carry. Sure it may not have been easy, but scores could be shot if you remained consistent (for me it was with ball speed more then anything).

If you look at the all star team, mid 200's for the men and mid-low 190's for the women prove that it wasn't unplayable. Is it correct for Emerson? Well the best team with the best depth won so I'd suggest yes. The result would've been totally different on a ditch.

Hoping to see everyone at Epping next Saturday (especially Tothie!).

Accurate post.

The scary thing I found was the amount of people who called this a heavy oil. The amount of comments I heard about "the lanes being flooded", more a sign of inexperience more than anything else. This is not the bowlers fault, as they, in the majority, bowl on their house condition 90% of the time.

Condition seemed slighty on the heavy side of medium and pretty fair, I liked it, just really wasnt in the bowling condition to capitalize.

I have to agree with Tonx, Craig and Wayne.

The pattern was tough but fair. It made you think and adjust.

If you played a bad shot, you were penalised. There was a few strange leaves, but overall it evened out.

As for the atmosphere. Werribee didn't help matters by blowing the rest of the field away, but the closeness of the other teams definately showed atmosphere. I must have been at a different event, as I saw spirit, support and noise from those that wanted to.

I have to agree with Tonx, Craig and Wayne.

The pattern was tough but fair. It made you think and adjust.

If you played a bad shot, you were penalised. There was a few strange leaves, but overall it evened out.

As for the atmosphere. Werribee didn't help matters by blowing the rest of the field away, but the closeness of the other teams definately showed atmosphere. I must have been at a different event, as I saw spirit, support and noise from those that wanted to.

Any time you send a scout mate, I know the condition would get your vote ;)

Accurate post.

The scary thing I found was the amount of people who called this a heavy oil. The amount of comments I heard about "the lanes being flooded", more a sign of inexperience more than anything else. This is not the bowlers fault, as they, in the majority, bowl on their house condition 90% of the time.

Condition seemed slighty on the heavy side of medium and pretty fair, I liked it, just really wasnt in the bowling condition to capitalize.

I think the "normal" league bowler tends to confuse length with volume.....
It was long, but still provided the opportunity to turn (if you matched everything correctly)

I won't forget the Farqy scout against me either!!!! :)

This is why bowling will always be a minor sport because of narrow minded people who only want to look after the top end bowlers , lay what ever condition you like thats fine, but as far as some of the women bowlers who bowled on the weekend many of them average between 160-170 ,the main problem was the approaches.
My wife did not buy a ball , have one drilled or even have one resurfaced , when people what to throw barbs they need to get there facts straight .
You want to run a poll then dont use it to shoot people down.
WCHESTER i have never spoken to you nor would i want to , maybe one day you will take a hard look at yourself and realise why you are despised.

Christian

This is why bowling will always be a minor sport because of narrow minded people who only want to look after the top end bowlers , lay what ever condition you like thats fine, but as far as some of the women bowlers who bowled on the weekend many of them average between 160-170 ,the main problem was the approaches.
My wife did not buy a ball , have one drilled or even have one resurfaced , when people what to throw barbs they need to get there facts straight .
You want to run a poll then dont use it to shoot people down.
WCHESTER i have never spoken to you nor would i want to , maybe one day you will take a hard look at yourself and realise why you are despised.

Christian

3 of our bowlers also had approach trouble.

Gary, what was the overall average last year at Geelong?

So far the poll result is showing that only 2 people thought the condition actually changed the result of the event. Only 6 bowlers (4 from Werribee, who won the event anyway and nothing short of their high house averages would get them to change their minds anyway) said it wasn't fair, and 2 bowlers were happy with the result, but felt the scoring could have been higher.

Knowing what I know about bowling in general, i'm going to take that as a fantastic result. Can't make everyone happy i spose. At least the right results were acheived, and I hope whoever holds the event next year doesn't go for the lets all get drunk and still average 260 shot, because for some stupid reason, I still regard bowling tournaments as a competition, not a "stuffing around and having a good time."

Thanks for the feedback.

Christian

I was told that Graham in the pro shop had confirmed that it was Lisa who bought the ball. I can only go by what he said. I apologise for my wrong assumption.

As for being despised..well, I'm an adult. I can take it. That won't keep me from telling the truth and trying to see that everyone gets a fair shake in this sport....At least, it's still a sport to me.

Gary, what was the overall average last year at Geelong?

So far the poll result is showing that only 2 people thought the condition actually changed the result of the event. Only 6 bowlers (4 from Werribee, who won the event anyway and nothing short of their high house averages would get them to change their minds anyway) said it wasn't fair, and 2 bowlers were happy with the result, but felt the scoring could have been higher.

Thanks for the feedback.

Tonx,

Men's averages last year at Geelong was 191 -- this year 188 - not much difference (which i think is the point you are trying to make)

I'm not complaining about conditions (i actually voted for the first option) just asking for opinions as to why the lefties averaged lower than the righties -- i have already got some valid opinions for it - which i will digest and comment about later.

Any time you send a scout mate, I know the condition would get your vote ;)

Hang on a minute.
Farky?
Scout? :confused:
What? :confused::confused:

Did Kevvy see it? :surrender:

Did anyone get a video? I'm sure Farky would love it and play it again, and again, and again.

Congrats to Werribee, from what I hear, thoroughly deserved.

Also well done to Bendigo, bit better than the expected performance Gatsby predicted. ;)

David

Haven't voted on the poll yet but i'll be the first to admit that i struggled from everything from my approach to my release and speed. Tried both inside and outside lines but still couldn't get any movement with my ball. (even with tonx putting it to the grinder) Basically pointed it at the pocket but my poor form on the weekend was due to missing easy spares... which i found to be the most annoying part for me. Easily costing me 10 to 15 pins in average.
Having said that though... the best TEAM on the day won and there would be no arguments there but i think they still would have won on a condition that was 'easier'.
This being my first Emerson was a great learning experience and i'll be trying out again for next years team.
As for the pattern itself... it was tough but not unplayable... I just didn't play it right.

Hope to seee you all next year...

I don't see how a condition can be deemed "not fair" when it's clearly the same for everyone. You are all out there bowling at the same time. Maybe the condition should be looked at as "more challenging" (than league condition, and l would hope so) and some people were unable to adjust to these more challenging conditions. Not trying to dis anyone but conditions shouldn't be easy.

As far as I'm concerned the people that can adjust to the conditions, figure out what they doing wrong and fix it in a few frames rather than a few games are the ones that will come out on top. Look at the allstar team, they are the bowlers that can figure stuff out and adjust. We had Tonx and Dillan who have mega rev rate, and then David F who, well doesn't have alot of revs at all. The bowlers that can bowl consitantly on whatever pattern are going to be the ones who come out on top.

As for myself, I bowled 5-10pins better than my average league shot. I liked the extra challenge and enjoyed my 1st Emerson, and will certainly be trying out for the next one.

No one else seems to be saying this, but I think everyone wants to, so I will, I don't care what others think of me....

For all those out there complaining that the condition was "unfair" or any other thing under the sun that hampered their usual 'mega' average on their house shot, All I can say is "Build a bridge and get over it!" Its a competition, its meant to be challenging. Figure it out and enjoy the game!

Back
Top Bottom