Important poll.....-sports tournaments

Do you enjoy bowling the sports touranments?

• Yes- I find it fun to challenge myself on world class patterns

Votes: 62 78.5%
  • No- I scored too low, I will go back to my league shot

Votes: 2 2.5%
  • I'll keep bowling, but I want to score better, and will seek out help moving forward

Votes: 10 12.7%
  • Other- I have commented in the thread.

Votes: 5 6.3%

• Total voters

tonx

After the completion of the first Sports series down here and over in WA, as well as the obvious success of NSW and QLD sports series. I know that a few bowlers out there commented that they won't come back to events because they scored too low, and I know a few bowlers out there that commented that they loved the challenge, and any game over 200 they felt was well deserved because they had to throw 12 quality shots!

I'm not sure on the feedback as a whole on the lower scoring conditions, so here is an anonymous poll to see what the bowlers of Australia want moving forward. Are the organisers wasting their time creating these events, or are they making the effort to keep Australian bowling up with the rest of the world....

Did you enjoy bowling the sports event near you? Will you bowl the next one?

Tonx, I bowl on a sports pattern at Mentone bowl on a Monday night and the scores can be low and high it real does depend on the pattern, at the moment we, are bowling the chameleon, which I do find quite hard, but challenging and still I go back each Monday. My own view is that if you wish to become a better bowler you need the harder condition. If you want to bowl and only get high score only, then bowl only in your home centre where the pattern is easier read.
Tonx I think you are doing a great job putting together the tournament so please keep up the great work.

Jeanette :smiley.php:

I think there are two different 'types' of tournament for the sport bowler.
I have run several ranked youth tournaments for the bowlers looking to improve to a higher level-state level and eventually a national level. The conditions need to challenge the bowlers and even if they do not score high they are learning to compete with accomplished bowlers and tougher lane conditions. The opportunity to bowl with interstate bowlers is also a bonus.
The sport series that operate in the individual states are giving bowlers an opportunity to compete in the sport, with like minded bowlers and also more accomplished bowlers looking for competition. They are generally medium challenge and cheaper events. They are not accredited and therefore have more relaxed rules.
Both provide an avenue to encourage the sport of tenpin and keep bowlers competing and participating.
Leanne

I loved the challenge. And to know that i bowled better than some of the others that are in general better bowlers than me made me feel good to know that i played a good shot and the comments i got on my style was great!
I will definately be back!!! With out a doubt.
Cheers

Unfortunately i missed the first vss tournament through work and hopefully there are more. With the conditions, I haven't bowled on Chameleon or any other pattern. I've asked the mechanic at the centre and just receive blank looks.

The response i got from the WA event was outstanding. Everybody loved the idea of a sports series and everyone who bowled thoroughly enjoyed themselves. From our 1st event i only have 5 bowlers not having their names down for the 2nd event (mainly because i dont have contact with them).

But on the whole, feedback has been very positive and we are getting more interest developing in our series over here in the west.

An unfortunate thing happened at NSW's most recent event, where the pattern was not laid down until the morning of the tournament and I suspect the the outside of the transfer roller (which hasn't seen oil in about 5 years) just sucked up the oil applied to it outside 10 board.

Therefore our "Shark Pattern", which I was really looking forward to, was a house shot. Added to the fact that the Anvilane panels are obviously quite rough there (evidence provided in the form of four balls needing a resurface) and we didn't get the "long and inside" characteristics of that pattern. More like the "outside dead hooks and inside holds" characteristic of a straight shot block. I'll bowl again, but not there.

Very disappointing.

Added to the fact that the Anvilane panels are obviously quite rough there (evidence provided in the form of four balls needing a resurface) and we didn't get the "long and inside" characteristics of that pattern.

You're not alone.

I've given up resurfacing my gear after bowling league at Aspley week in and week out.. not sure whether it's the dry outsides or rough panels, but my gear tracks up completely after about two games.

I recently resurfaced and polished a new ball 3 times in 4 weeks and then gave up bothering.

As for the sports series concept, I love bowling in it. Hopefully I'll be back doing it again when I can afford it.

The Sports Series is great. Its a lot of fun but also very challenging.
I am really glad that we have a number of states now forming regular events for the bowlers.
Even though its hard it is a worthwhile chance for all bowlers to test themselves and improve their games.

You're not alone.
I've given up resurfacing my gear after bowling league at Aspley week in and week out.. not sure whether it's the dry outsides or rough panels, but my gear tracks up completely after about two games.
I recently resurfaced and polished a new ball 3 times in 4 weeks and then gave up bothering.
As for the sports series concept, I love bowling in it. Hopefully I'll be back doing it again when I can afford it.
It's the dry outsides that causes the rough panels I suspect, as the purpose of oil is to protect the lane surface.

One more reason to get rid of blocked lanes.

I love bowling on sports series patterns and the guys and girls that run the one up here in QLD are fantastic. I couldnt care less if I bowled low scores its the fact that i am there haveing fun with everyone that bowles. u just never know how u will go on these conditions u just might make a cut here and there. Thats all that matters to me is having fun and bowling with a great group of guys and girls that bowl up here cant say a bad word about the concept its great

hi all,

I have bowled 2 sports series in NSW, After speaking to stephen i knew the patterns were going to be hard as you need the oil to try and hold for as long as possible or the really top bowlers will walk over everyone, at chester hill i agree with jason, it was not the patten it was suppose to be.

in a sport series you need more oil, yes in the early games scores will be low 180-200, especially for bowlers who dont have the equipment for heavish oil, as the oil moves and dries a bit the last approx 4 games is where the good games really ashould come in, unless you are a steve smith or matt rielly who have that type of equipment in the early games.

I love the sports series as it is cheap and only over ten games, it gives bowlers of the 170 range a chance to bowl against top bowlers in there state and maybe get advise from them.

what bowling needs is something like what jason is doing in canberra, a top bowler running a learning session for low cost. at most of the sports series everyone keeps to them selves unless you are in the know. Some of the top bowlers needs to actually talk to lower bowlers and just give some advice on balls and conditions to help lower bowlers especially ppl just starting out.

I will bow in it again as i bowled 213 in chester hill but 170 i think at macurther, hard conditions can help you learn.

my 2 cents worths

Jason and Tiger, is the tracking on the ball in the "Normal" track area or is it in the Flare area?

I remember Jason complaining about this very thing years ago after Bowling at Mayfield Bowl. I found the cause was the Pindecks, so badly worn down they caused an abrasion on every ball bowled in the Centre. For years the Centre staff had thier theories on what caused it, so after I found the cause and told my Superiors in 2001, guess what? nobody wanted to do anything about it.

We eventually coated the Phenolic Pindecks with normal lane Urethane, this eradicated the abrasive problem.

They have New Synthetics in Mayfield now but alas they still have the Overlanes, oh well maybe they won't take 10 years to fix that problem.

willey

Back
Top Bottom