New addition to the rule book

Andrew S.

Gold Coast
Interesting new addition to the rule book:

RULE 217 ELECTRONIC DEVICES
Effective January 1st, 2012, apart from medical aids, no electronic earpieces, headphones or any other electronic device can be worn or used by bowlers whilst they are competing

G'Day,

This is a nice addition, but one that will be hard to police. Dare I say it is also open to a number of grey areas. Like checking your phone for an SMS during competition could be included as using an electronic device while bowling.

Maybe there are more in depth details to what is in and what is out?

G'Day,

This is a nice addition, but one that will be hard to police. Dare I say it is also open to a number of grey areas. Like checking your phone for an SMS during competition could be included as using an electronic device while bowling.

As I see it The issue is more about people walking around with
headphones / earphones on listening to music whilst bowling

Effective January 1st, 2012, apart from medical aids, no electronic earpieces, headphones or any other electronic device can be worn or used by bowlers whilst they are competing

Competing in what??

G'Day,

Good point and i gree with Geoff that it is more than likely just music based, but it is an interesting one John, given the amount of Iphone Apps available for tracking league scores and tournament scores. Lots of people are using them.

What if my recording says "Breathe in... Breathe out..."? Is that a medical aid..? :) Or maybe a soothing recording of say, Lakme's Flower Duet, to prevent an outbreak of a certified anger management issue? Interesting one this...

On a more philosophical note, if we ban earpieces, it begs the question of when do we have the intestinal fortitude to ban wrist devices, which flagrantly bring into question the athletic nature of our sport and give a lot more artificial support than any sound recording could? As Michael Frante so eloquently wrote, hypocrisy is the greatest luxury.

(Sizzle, sizzle. The glorious sound of another sacred cow hitting the hotplate.)

What if my recording says "Breathe in... Breathe out..."? Is that a medical aid..? :)

On a more philosophical note, if we ban earpieces, when do we have the intestinal fortitude to ban wrist devices, which clearly degrade the athletic nature of our sport and give a lot more support than any sound recording could? Hypocrisy is the greatest luxury, as Michael Frante so eloquently wrote.

and we could go on & on if you like......interchangable soles, reactive coverstocks, dynamic weight blocks, interchangable thumb slugs....................

I think the rule is more for the aesthetics of the sport, it might be a way TBA are trying to change the way the sport is perceived. Small steps.

Rob

G'Day,

So I should stop designing my the new complete bowling suit with built in spare shotting laser accuracy device?

Dam, it was even going to have a built in stereo!

I agree... this measure is not a way to stop anyone's efforts to enhance performance.

I couldnt bowl with earphones in and i could take or leave it if someone else wants to do it. Each to their own.

G'Day,

So I should stop designing my the new complete bowling suit with built in spare shotting laser accuracy device?

Dam, it was even going to have a built in stereo!
"THIS IS VELOCET OF BORG. PREPARE TO BE ASSIMILATED. RESISTANCE IS FUTILE."

Dousty, I hate wearing a wrist peice but I can assure you that if and when you have a carpal tunnel operation that you would consider using one if it meant that your wrist could be supported and some useful power could be made, it certainly saves dropping the ball continuiosly on the lane approach which I'm sure would upset more bowlers than a set of headphones would.

What if my recording says "Breathe in... Breathe out..."? Is that a medical aid..? :) Or maybe a soothing recording of say, Lakme's Flower Duet, to prevent an outbreak of a certified anger management issue? Interesting one this...

Or something like "Should I walk out...should I keep bowling..."? (All in good jest mate :) )

Dousty, I hate wearing a wrist peice but I can assure you that if and when you have a carpal tunnel operation that you would consider using one if it meant that your wrist could be supported and some useful power could be made.

How long ago did you have carpal tunnel operation? I had both my wrists done, first one in November last year and second in December... Didn't bowl for 10 weeks and when I did bowled with a wrist brace... Hated it mind you. I think it was about 5 months after the op on my bowling wrist that I ditched the brace... Haven't used it for close to 3 months now...

Could this be a very simplistic way to ensure that people pay attention to when it is their shot?? Just a thought..

Would like interpretation on the word competing - on the approach, in the players area, behind the lanes .....

Leanne

Would like interpretation on the word competing - on the approach, in the players area, behind the lanes .....

Leanne

I would read that the same as the No Smoking Rule. Not to be used while a player is competing in their squad. Might be wrong tho. (Would not be the first time)

Don't be pedantic.......you know what they mean.

I don't think Leanne is being pedantic. I think Leanne raises a very good point. If they are going to introduce new rules for this kind of thing, then the rules need to be explicit. Otherwise, if the ruling is worded in a way that is left open to interpretation, then the TBA will have no chance of policing a rule, such as this, properly. Too much grey. Needs to be as black & white as possible.

I think it is very black and white. No grey at all.

It says..... no electronic equipment while competing..... How much simpler can it be? And I'm sure this means, no mobile phones, no Ipod type devises, no personal electronic pin trackers......... No having someone sitting on facebook ot texting for the whole squad, and having to wait for them because they always miss when it's their go.

I guess they'll have to wait until they finish bowling to let everyone know ....."bwln wid me BFGF havn coke n chps,chps cold FML."

Back
Top Bottom