New addition to the rule book

I was referring to tournaments mainly but your point is taken.

I'd imagine most league bowlers don't often foul.

Although I used to bowl with someone who would do it deliberately if they missed a single pin.

RULE 117 FOUL - DELIBERATE
When a player deliberately fouls to benefit by the calling of a foul, the player will receive zero pinfall for that delivery and will not be allowed any further deliveries in that frame. Such action may be regarded as an attempt to gain an unfair advantage. (See Rule 501).

Well if they missed the pin it makes no difference.

I never saw the reason why he did it other than to cover up a 9 miss on the score sheet.

Thing is everyone knew what it was so it only highlighted it in my opinion

Well if they missed the pin it makes no difference.

I never saw the reason why he did it other than to cover up a 9 miss on the score sheet.

Thing is everyone knew what it was so it only highlighted it in my opinion
Yes, quite true. You can get an advantage from a deliberate foul -- but not that way.

Agree Jim

example would be missing head pin to the right leaving a washout... hard to spare.

One would throw the foot over the foul line as i can spare a full deck easier.

Going to be hard to enforce during average (not elite) league play. Just like smoking, drinking, eating... where do you draw the line. Keep bowlers happy and coming each week or play hard ball, strictly enforce all rules and lose bowlers. Its rather clear what will happen. Another rule to be ignored to keep a league full of happy bowlers.

Also I am a travel league tournament director. I enter game scores on my laptop while I am bowling so that I get updated results to give the bowlers progressive scores after each game. Does this mean I will have to delay starting the next game until I have the scores entered for the prior game. I dont think so.

Think it should be clarified so that it more specifically bans the use of earpieces and electronic sound devices rather than general electronic equipment (ie mobile phones, Ipads, laptops, battery operated fans during hot weather etc)

Looks like you'll have to bring someone along to do the the score inputing Lyn. No smoking, no drinking, no mobile phones, no Ipads, no laptops, no squeezing water bottles. Where will it all end.

Looks like you'll have to bring someone along to do the the score inputing Lyn. No smoking, no drinking, no mobile phones, no Ipads, no laptops, no squeezing water bottles. Where will it all end.

You forgot wristwatches, most of them are electronic too..

Hope the cafe lady doesnt ask me if i want something from the shop.... il have to give her the bird for interrupting me whilst i stand in the players area.

(before anyone flies off the handle, that is a joke)

. No smoking, no drinking, no mobile phones, no Ipads, no laptops, no squeezing water bottles. Where will it all end.

Next rules... no coughing, no talking, no bright clothing, no animated behaviour, and the final one... no dying on the lanes from boredom.

Yet another case of the same people turning something into a storm in a teacup. Yet another case of the same wannabe lawyers trying to poke holes in the rule. Those people should learn what "context" and "intention" mean.

The TBA has introduced a rule. Abide by it. It's very simple really.

example: If someone is competing in league and they wish to record their results in an iphone app, why not just wait till they finish league (i.e. stopped competing) and then do it? Bloody amazing, you will be following the rule and noone will be upset. I guess common sense is just lacking a bit.

Personally I have used pen and paper recoding my scores/ pin leaves etc for over 20 years, and I can do it alot faster than someone using an iphone. However I would ask you this. Can you remeber all 36 frames including the pin leaves on non strike shots and what you failed to knock over after the last frame is bowled. I would suggest the answer is no. I would suggest you would struggle to recall much out of an 8 or 10 game session.

So for this TBA gem I say thanks as advantage to old school which incidentally does not rely on batteries.

Interesting photo on the front page of the Adelaide Advertiser today.

A photo of a totally knackered Cadell Evans after stage 18 of the Tour De France being attended to by someone & there taped in his ears were his headphone earpeices.

The cheek of the guy ignoring all his fellow competitors.

The earpieces are for communication with the team car and are allowed in the Tour De France. He may have had people talking to him (his bosses) via the earpiece while the interviews were on.

But in all seriousness, where do you draw the line at what is unreasonable assistance? And let's not get started on bowling balls. (Must... control... typing hand...)

Hey Jason although I have not had the pleasure, some guy with a wrist gaurd must have really did a number or two on you.

Now I do wear one (an original cobra) and could bowl ok before I started wearing one about the late 80's / early 90's but riding skateboards in my teens (broken wrist twice in same place) came back to bite me. I agree with you that they do enhance shot making ability but that is I believe not excessive and also will not help someone using one who could not bowl well without one to consistently beat guys of your talent, correct me if you don't agree.

To have them confined to medical prescribed use may be a reasonable idea, however the logistics of it's policing is a mine field that I would think that the TBA is reluctant to enter into. I suggest that is the case too for the ABC as this would mean having to have qualified medical practictioners to be able to make proper determinations. If it did in fact come in and I faile the assessment test (maybe my wrists come good after all this time) then I probably would continue bowling.

The problem we have with our game over golf (apart from not attracting the Tiger Woods skank factor) is that the people who are supposed to police our sport don't have any balls (although if they do they certainly aren't reactive -lol ) or more importantly enough money behind them to be able to stand up to the ball, shoe and bowling equipment companies. So we will see technology continue to erode the legitimacy of tenpin bowling as a sport.

So we will see technology continue to erode the legitimacy of tenpin bowling as a sport.

It's not just equipment that's eroding the legitimacy of our sport. What about the lane conditions we are bowling on? They are playing just as big a part in the demise of our sport, as the equipment. Easy, walled lanes, inflate averages. full stop.

Interesting commnts about the wristguard and its ban from bowling. The problem is bowling just dosn't have enough bowlers at league and tournament level to allow its ban. I'd imagine a fair few would walk away from the sport if they suddenly couldn't hook the ball.....so it just ain't going to happen.
But if you are going to ban them at an elite level, ten it has to be across the board with no exceptions for medical reasons. You don't see any runners in the olympics (I'm using the olympics as an example sine this is where the elite athletes compete) with any extra devices to help them run faster. There's no medical excemptions in the open olympics for those with missing a legs or arms to be able to attach a rocket on their butt in order to keep up with the best...its tough luck. Try out for the paraolympics where you are competing with those with a similar handicap to keep the playing field level.
So, if bowling had the numbers to pull it off, there would be a wristguard division at the elite level with them being banned from the "open" division.
Just some random thoughts from a bowler whose gone from one form of cheating to another. Fire suit on :D

It's not just equipment that's eroding the legitimacy of our sport. What about the lane conditions we are bowling on? They are playing just as big a part in the demise of our sport, as the equipment. Easy, walled lanes, inflate averages. full stop.

Cannot see that that makes a difference after all your opponent is playing on the same pair of lanes with the same conditions

Cannot see that that makes a difference after all your opponent is playing on the same pair of lanes with the same conditions

You're missing the point. The easy, walled lane conditions add, sometimes, 20-30 pins to peoples averages, then, when they go and bowl on a sport condition, wonder why they can only manage 170-180 ave...

Here we go again... balls and legitimacy of the sport.

... and anyone CAN go out and purchase any ball they want but everyone still b!tches about that too.

Whether you can afford too or not (with two kids, I'm in the not category - can swindle one ball a year on average) is irrelevant there is no restrictions on who can or can't purchase a ball on the market.

But I agree that both aspects have attributed to the decline in 'legitimacy' [don't like that term though, personally], aggressive ball technology and lane conditioning. A well laid sport condition can take the bite out of most balls (for a period) and turn a 210-220 average bowler, these days, into a 170-180 average bowler. So I do in essence agree with amagill.

Unfortunately the battle of the lane technology versus the ball technology is being won by the ball techs in every centre around Australia (it seems). Who to blame though? The centre's? Remember they are a business after all and if they make the conditions difficult bowlers walk. The Ball techs? They are a business also and they are in the business of making new balls to sell. The lane techs? They have oil for all conditions, it is up to the centres to lay it appropriately. or, the bowlers? what is their excuse again? Oh yeah I am a 210-220 average bowler!

Hmmmmm.

I do think clarification on the topic @ hand is needed though.

again only my $0.05

Dale and amagill

Thanks for that I did leave out lane conditions. Here is my take on todays bowling reality in a made up scenario. Note: I believe the following scenario would apply to the majority of todays bowlers with only the more mature long term league / tournament participants or genuinely talented younger bowlers exempt.

Mr Smith goes to his local bowl with his brand spanking new three ball bowling bag containing two recently purchased reactive balls and a plastic ball. He is chomping at the bit as he has been averaging 215 for the last six weeks. Upon arriving his league is informed that due to a major tournament being held there in four weeks (exagerated I know) that the lanes have not been oiled the same as they normally would but this should not effect them too much (obviously a new counter attendant). After the second game the secretary and president of the league approach the counter as they have tired of the bowlers coming up and complaining to them. They of course complain about the lane conditions because Mr Smith and his fellow (so called gun bowlers) are struggling to make a score around 180. They are told that the condition is a sports condition and that the score their fellow league bowlers are achieving seems about right. The counter attendant also makes a point of the fact that Mr Jones who has been bowling for over 20 years after a 180 first game has just thrown 210 and is well on the way to another 200 in game three. The president and secretary go back to the league and convey what they were told and the majority of the bowlers are even more unhappy. They didn't like the fact that the senior attendant had said that there scores were what he expected (poor bruised ego after reality check). They start to talk about not showing up next week. This is soon forgotten about when the president and secretary tells them they will still have to pay as the league is a contracted one.

Now the scenario above is a bit over the top but would probably match up well to most leagues (apart from the contracted league bit) around the country.

I think as everyone now knows there is no panacea to the problem tenpin bowling faces but the sports condition is probably the most effective tool we have of being able to give the bowlers of today a reality check about there own abilities. I think sports bowling accross the board however is a pipe dream just like bowling in the olympics.

A Few names:

Jeanette Baker Duel World Cup Champion
Cara Honeychurch World Cup Champion + Numerous WPBA Titles
Amanda Bradley World Cup Champion
Carol Gianotti Numerous WPBA titles + 2011 hall fame
Ian Bradford dominated tenpin bowling in the 80's & 90's

Some of the greatest bowlers Australia has produced.

What did/do they all have in common. They all bowled with wrist devices.

When are they going to be told they bowled there whole career gaining an unreasonable advantage (cheating).

Back
Top Bottom