New addition to the rule book

Interesting photo on the front page of the Adelaide Advertiser today.

A photo of a totally knackered Cadell Evans after stage 18 of the Tour De France being attended to by someone & there taped in his ears were his headphone earpeices.

The cheek of the guy ignoring all his fellow competitors.

I don't think the rule is to take away any sort of assistance but to portray a more professional image of the sport. Therefore I don't think we can compare robo arms and reactives to earphones. (not saying I wouldnt like them restricted to medical use only though)

Only if you're wearing it Rob. And then people would probably just think you were taking the whole Lady Gaga Little Monster thing too far...

"no electronic earpieces, headphones or any other electronic device can be worn or used by bowlers whilst they are competing"

Seems clear enough.

Yet another case of the same people turning something into a storm in a teacup. Yet another case of the same wannabe lawyers trying to poke holes in the rule. Those people should learn what "context" and "intention" mean.

The TBA has introduced a rule. Abide by it. It's very simple really.

example: If someone is competing in league and they wish to record their results in an iphone app, why not just wait till they finish league (i.e. stopped competing) and then do it? Bloody amazing, you will be following the rule and noone will be upset. I guess common sense is just lacking a bit.

Yet another case of the same people turning something into a storm in a teacup. Yet another case of the same wannabe lawyers trying to poke holes in the rule. Those people should learn what "context" and "intention" mean.

The TBA has introduced a rule. Abide by it. It's very simple really.

example: If someone is competing in league and they wish to record their results in an iphone app, why not just wait till they finish league (i.e. stopped competing) and then do it? Bloody amazing, you will be following the rule and noone will be upset. I guess common sense is just lacking a bit.

CO im not sure how much you are up to speed with the Iphone apps that are available or what they can provide, but most keep detailed stats and require frame by frame entries. They record pins left, splits, spare %, headpin shots, you name it... there is a stat for it. Its not just a matter of entering your 800 series into the app on the way home.

There are things called pens and paper that believe it or not have been around for years so there is no excuse. Write it down and enter it later.

And yes, I know what the apps are capable of.

Your post is nothing but an excuse not to follow the rule.

There are things called pens and paper that believe it or not have been around for years so there is no excuse. Write it down and enter it later.

And yes, I know what the apps are capable of.

Your post is nothing but an excuse not to follow the rule.

Thanks for your condecending post.

I could take the rule or leave it CO as i dont use an app at all.

By the way the pen and paper way is slower than the app so if it is a time thing, its not a valid argument.

Condescending? Ok then, I will use similar words to you......I wasn't aware you were up to speed with pen and paper and what it can provide. Is that better?

By the way the pen and paper way is slower than the app so if it is a time thing, its not a valid argument.

I wasn't sure what to write about the stupidity in red. No one argued that a pen and paper was better or faster. It was merely a suggestion to stay within the rules. I haven't worked out how staying within the rules is not valid. That part has me confused.

But in all seriousness, where do you draw the line at what is unreasonable assistance? And let's not get started on bowling balls. (Must... control... typing hand...)

Hi Jason

As usual you make some good observations and points

The intention is quite clear, I think, with the new rule.
It is to not have bowlers with earjacks in their ears listening to whatever
when they are bowling

Your other point on Wrist gaurds is a beauty !!!

In my younger days people, mostly girls, used wristgaurds that just helped
people with weak wrists or injuries, for support

Sadly today people wear them to gain an unreasonable advantage, in my opinion.
My reason for saying that is the Robo Cop style of device aids the bowler in a number of ways
including hand / wrist position and angle by dial up and does things for their release that
without the device, they can not do.
To me that means it is something the bowler has done for them, not done by the bowler

I would ban anything that does anything other than support a weak wrist , Just my thoughts

Cheers
Geoff

Amazing how many people can ***** about the simple things like wrist guards, but don't care about the big things like Reactive balls that have made the game alot easier.

I agree with ya Chin, just another thing to b!tch about - Hey!!

Yeah, if was such a great advantage why isnt everyone using one. There available to everyone.

What next..

I know, lets ban left handers from bowling tournaments. 10-15% of any field are left handers. There side doesnt break down like the right. There an unreasonable advantage if ever ive seen one.

Lets ban bowling without your thumb in the ball. Allows you to create more revs on the ball. Another unfair advantage. (Sorry Belmo you'll bowl like everyone else)

Grow up people.....No wonder people look at this sport as a joke..

Yeah, if was such a great advantage why isnt everyone using one. There available to everyone.

Because not everyone needs to use a mechanical aid to give them an advantage
What next..

I know, lets ban left handers from bowling tournaments. 10-15% of any field are left handers. There side doesnt break down like the right. There an unreasonable advantage if ever ive seen one.

Being a left-handed bowler used to be a disadvantage..way back in the early 1960's

Lets ban bowling without your thumb in the ball. Allows you to create more revs on the ball. Another unfair advantage. (Sorry Belmo you'll bowl like everyone else)

The advantage of bowling thumbless is twofold..
1) you can impart more revolutions.
2) you never squeeze under pressure

Grow up people.....No wonder people look at this sport as a joke..

The game of bowling has been a joke for more years than I care to remember...and it's getting worse by the day., thanks to the ABC/USBC and BPAA

I honestly think its more of an image rule change and to stop people whinging and emailing tba about people using ipods while playing as opposed to performance enhancing.

Quite honestly I am surprised wrist guards are allowed in competition.

Each to their own. I can't remember where it is...Somewhere in Europe where wrist guards can only be used to tournaments if a doctor says you need it.

I had a friend from the States told he can't bowl with one a few years back.

But personally, I can't see any real purpose to this rule change.

seems the only rule enforced to the letter will always be the foul line...

or is that another thread altogether ;)

seems the only rule enforced to the letter will always be the foul line...

or is that another thread altogether ;)

I don't think there are many centres that even turn them on. I remember about 5 years ago. A bowler told me I was just going over the line every shot. i had no idea, the foul lines were never on for me to know.

Needless to say I rectified that little issue.

I was referring to tournaments mainly but your point is taken.

I'd imagine most league bowlers don't often foul.

Although I used to bowl with someone who would do it deliberately if they missed a single pin.

Back
Top Bottom