Will they lift the ruling?

Jase

Admin
Staff member
Just wanted to get other opinions on this if i could please.

As trying to get sponsorship in the past for Rachuig Teams, we always came across the hurdle of not allowing any sponsors logos on the Rachuig Team Shirts. Now i am not 100% on the rulings but i believe we weren’t aloud much or if anything to be on the shirts.
I mean in the past we have found that even when Kombat clothing have made our shirts and they left there logo on the front we were spoken too about that.

It doesn’t leave much in the way of an advertising campaign when these sponsors who put a fair amount of money into these teams, can’t even get a logo on the shirts and if they can it’s only practice shirts. This tournament only really runs for the week of any one team and the shirts worn only for three of those days. Not a good return for there investment, nor is it a good sales point when trying to get sponsors or sponsorship at all.

I suppose what i am asking now is that if Money is being introduced to the tournament does this now mean that some of the rules may be lifted to help with the financial side for the teams. I am not implying that these great team shirts be riddled with sponsors, just maybe if they lifted a rule like that it could definitely help develop the prestige of the event to bigger and better things. I know from South Qld point of view we would get a hell of a lot more bowlers to our roll of if they knew that it didn’t cost them to represent there state.
e.g.
Take the cricket for example, where the Sheffield Shield was sponsored by Pura Milk and the tournament became the Pura Cup. The sponsors get signage at the ground and unobtrusive logos on the front of the shirt and the sleeve. The competition still retains it's prestige but the $$ come rolling in from the sponsors.

Another question i suppose we have to ask is that if there is one major sponsor for the whole event, do we as individual states have to have that sponsor’s logo on our shirts as well or can we start to have our own individual state sponsors to help fund the trip to the nationals for the team. Then i suppose we run down that path of conflicting sponsors Main vs. State there is allot of grey area and was wondering if anyone has any ideas on this or any input that may shed some light on the grey areas.

Another way around it was to have the logos on the pants but the down side so to speak was people bowling with there shirts out and once again not real good coverage for the sponsors.

Just my thoughts hope some good ideas come of it!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Well said Jase !!!

From the point of view of a bowler that is going to be nominating for Rauchig 2006 (and hopefully beyond) I would hope that the there are some changes to the ruling. I know from discussions I have had with other bowlers on the subject of sponsorship & fund raising for all teams (Rauchig, DeVeere, Shield, and Seniors), that it would make things easier on the hip pocket (which is a consideration for everyone) in terms of travel & accomodation costs and would certainly ease some tensions that are out there between bowlers & associations when it comes to fund raising for the aforementioned accomodation & travel costs.

But taking it from the sponsors point of view they want something back for their money, if they dont even get a logo on a shirt (not just practice shirts) then why should they contribute anything at all ?

Just my 20 cents

Dale

This is the ruling by TBA .All participating teams are required to submit to TBA any proposed team or individual sponsorship.
The reason for that is to determine that there is no conflict with current or proposed National
sponsorship agreements or venue sponsorships. On State competition shirts, the size of any
proposed logo is restricted to a size not exceeding 49cm². For example, the logo may be 7cm x 7
cm, 14cm x 3.5cm, as long as both lengths when multiplied together do not exceed 49. Size
restrictions do not apply to practice shirts or similar, however, sponsorship is still required to be approved.
what you could do as stated put all sponsors on your practice shirts and if your centers that people ball for put up the sponsors logo in the centers as well and may be AMF could put some thing in the journal they put once a month ;) JUST A THOUGHT

ive said it before, and I will say it again and again and again.

Biggest problem with bowling is lack of advertising revenue from sponsors. Compare to Golf, Footy, Cricket, soccer, tennis etc etc.

how do their prize funds become so high? Big companies put hundreds of thousands of dollars into tournaments. Can you imagine 3 major sponsors for the AO? Each placing $10k into the kitty in return for signage everywhere? Imagine the Prize fund. Imagine the entries.

More entries mean more sponsors, more sponsors mean more entries. Easy.....

EVERY SINGLE STATE should BEG the TBA to allow the rule change for sponsors logos to appear on shirts. For the good of bowling!!! Good to see some changes being made, lets see some more!

lets all cross our fingers!

An interesting topic indeed,
It funny that I was talking to the SA TBA just yesterday about this topic and discussing possible options to over come this problem or setback.. They have nothing to do with this post and were very helpful in explaining the guidelines for sponsorship.
I think this sport is long overdue for dragging out of the ice age and into the 21st century and I think this is one area of the sport that needs to be looked at closely, small changes are being made in most areas of the game but we need to move faster people and take big leaps forward..
If you take a look at the more 'professional' sports in Australia that have achieved great success and a great following there wouldn’t be one that hasn’t reached its current status without a great deal of sponsorship.
Just a few quick examples
AFL (footy): every club/state has a major sponsor
Cricket: every club/state has a major sponsor
Basketball: every club/state has a major sponsor
Netball: every club/state has a major sponsor
Tennis: every high ranked play is sponsored
Golf: every high ranked player is sponsored
Now all of these sports have got their own sponsors on top of the club/individual sponsors so there is no reason why governing bodies’ cant negotiate with states/and individuals to find a happy medium where both the game and the players can benefit from exposure..
If ten pin bowling is to achieve things like being accepted as an Olympic sport and get great coverage on TV then we need to get recognition as a sport that can be taken seriously, has a good support base and is financially sound. To achieve all of this it is takes dedication hard work and a lot of money. I'm sure you would all agree when I say I’d much rather someone else pay for it, its not like I have a spare couple million dollars lying around.. ;)
With the increasing success of our bowlers in Australia we could be using this to take steps forward and not only improve the viability of bowling in Australia but also support those at the top of our sport.
Upon reading this post I decided to do a bit of research and came across some interesting facts
1) Approximately 3 million people bowl each year making tenpin bowling the fifth most played sport in Australia.
2) Tenpin Bowling Australia, with approximately 113,000 members is the ninth (9th) largest sports organization in the country.
3) Tenpin Bowling Australia is the largest tenpin bowling organization outside of the United States.
4) Although difficult to estimate the tenpin bowling industry in Australia is worth more than $250 million per year.
5) The modern game, however, promoted in part by competition on television, is a booming family sport. There is virtually no age limit for the active bowler.
Point number (4) is interesting, you would think that perhaps the industry could spare a little change for the biggest tournament in the country and maybe put just a little back in for what it gets out??
If TBA wants to keep the tradition in the game (I’m all for that)... then we need to establish what the tradition is.. Maybe we should all go back to wearing retro shirts and bowling conventional?:cool: the tradition that needs to be kept (particularly for Rachuig) is that it should be an HONOUR and a PRIVELIDGE to represent your state and only the best from the state is there because they are the best and not because they are the only one who can afford it..
Sponsorship is inevitable, its going to happen I mean with the price of fuel im looking for a sponsor for my car just to get to work and back :p but it something that can be used for everyone's advantage and for the good of the game..
Either way it needs to be given some thought
If not, im down for begging too!!:p

Correct me if I'm wrong but doesn't this rule only limit the size of the logo ". . . On State competition shirts, the size of any proposed (sponsor) logo is restricted to a size not exceeding 49cm² . . . ". I seem to recall that this rule was changed a few years back to allow sponsor logo(s).

My understanding is that provided the sponsor is approved by TBA and fulfils the above criteria then team or individual sponsors are OK.

I seem to recall quite a number of Rachuig teams and individual Rachuig bowlers displaying their sponsor logo(s) on their COMPETITION shirts this year. Certainly added some color to the event.

I'm not up with the rulings - never took much notice to be truthful - but wouldn't it be regarding the size of and number of logos on a state shirt?

Reason I ask is, that I remember one of my old President Shield shirts from back in the early 90's had an "Abel Tasman TT Line" logo on the arm and no fuss was made back then about it as far as I can recall.

I'd reckon as long as they didn't turn a state shirt into something resembling a tacky looking billboard rather than a shirt it could only be a good thing.

I'm surprised it never happened years ago.

I really cant see a lot of point to any size restrictions. Its not as though sponsors are falling over themselves to get their names on the shirts.
Certainly I can see a lot of sense in TBA ensuring that there is no conflict of interest between State sponsors and National sponsors, but we are nowhere near that stage.
I do believe that both Peter Coburn and Alex Popov are very approachable and willing to listen to any reasonable proposition, and I am equally sure that Peter at least, regularly monitors this site.
Certainly if Queensland Teams come up with any reasonable form of sponsorship TBAQ will, if necessary, make strong representations regarding the rights of those sponsors to have their advertising message prominently displayed.

Andrew S. said:
I really cant see a lot of point to any size restrictions. Its not as though sponsors are falling over themselves to get their names on the shirts.
Certainly I can see a lot of sense in TBA ensuring that there is no conflict of interest between State sponsors and National sponsors, but we are nowhere near that stage.
Perhaps Andrew we are like you say, nowhere near that stage, because just maybe we cant promote it the way it needs to be. I don’t think you are correct in saying that sponsors aren’t falling over them selves to get there names on shirts, speaking for myself I know of a couple that are or do but don’t get a great deal in return. I think if marketed correctly you could start getting sponsors falling over themselves very soon. I know of couples of Association team’s that seam to grab a sponsor each year and that doesn’t take a great deal of effort.

Ashy said:
Speaking of which Jase, got any lined up for the GOLD Coast team??
Just a thought . :)
Ashy
As a matter of fact we have something already in the pipe line for the Gold Coast Team!
Not bad considering the team was only put together a little over two weeks ago.
I suppose that’s an advantage of getting the teams together earlier than usual.
But if you also have something in mind or a suggestion we are always willing to have a look at other ideas.

When it all comes down to the people that govern the sport in this country are so narrow minded that they don't want to see other people doing a better job. What this sport needs is a governing body who will be proactive in governing the sport. Get out there. Letters do not work, Meeting people face to face works. This sport and industry has barely been able to look out of their own backyard let alone outside interests.

From what I know or think I know the TBA is a non-profit organisation. Where do our fees go each year both from individuals and from the centres. Is that to line the pockets of the boards members. Maybe I am wrong but a change is required for this sport to advance, right from the top down.

We need an organisation that employees proper marketing staff to market the sport. We need devlopment programmes not only for junior bowlers but for others that take up the sport after junior and youth, why should those bowlers be disadvantaged. But last and most important of all we need past and present bowlers to take an active part in the way our sport is run. Without the bowlers this sport will go nowhere. As I have said before it is us that can make this happen.

Matthew Lambrick

I think having sponser's names on shirts providing it doesn't clutter the shirt should be allowed. Expense and politics stop's alot of bowlers from competing in tournaments these days like rachuig.
Also going thru all the bull**** prior to the main event isn't great either. You have to bowl in this and that and not forgetting practise and turning up to swimming....blah .....blah....blah.....
I agree , times must change......and come to think of it so should some of the "OLD" TBA people as well.
That's why I like so much about seniors at the moment....you qualify for the state side...then no bull****.....then you go away and bowl the finals.
Plus they really need to bring back peterson points (ie 1 point for every 50 pins you bowl) to rachuig. True indication of how much a top team really wins by.

1. :5 team members bowl 150 each and win all there games gaining 20 points including peterson points (not including team points)
2. :5 team members bowling 200 each win all there games gaining 25 points including peterson points for pinfall.

Makes it harder but true indication overall.

If we look at the above if both teams won like they did without peterson points then they both would be on 5 points each, but who deserves to be in front. Mmmm.

bye now.......
tony

Matthew

From what I know or think I know the TBA is a non-profit organisation. Where do our fees go each year both from individuals and from the centres. Is that to line the pockets of the boards members.

You only have to refer to the list of Board members to realise that the bowler reps on this Board are all VOLUNTEERS. As bowler reps you have indirectly voted for these people.

The dictionary defines a volunteer as someone who performs or offers to perform a service out of his own free will, without payment.

A Board member bowls in my home centre and I know that he puts in many hours of voluntary time each week and in doing so spends up to 5 months a year taking time off work just working for you (industry stakeholders) at $0.00 per hour.

I have heard him state that this personally costs him up to $150,000 per year in time, services, expenses, cash and lost income.

YOU STATEMENT COULD NOT BE FURTHER OFF THE MARK.

I admire these peoples dedication to the sport and it's about time some others did as well. However, they are constantly distracted by Mr & Mrs Negative Bowler. These people need your support not your criticism.

You only have to view their financials to realise that they are operating on a shrinking shoestring budget.

the way i see it sponsors want something for their money and as it stands particularly in australia they gain nothing because there is very little coverage of our sport on television.If you want to attract sponsors then you have to lift the whole profile of the sport to the public and more importantly to the media companies who are going to broadcast coverage of games , and to do that unfortunately alot of centres would need to start spending alot of money re-vamping their sites to make them camera worthy.Its just a vicious circle , unfortunately bowling is largely promoted as a family pastime ,lets face it the ideal customers at a lot of centres are 10 year old kids whos birthday it is ,they bring a few mates have a couple of games ,eat some nuggets , throw a couple of balls down the lane ....no complaints and pay top dollar, why do you want a load of half decent bowlers who get reduced rates , dont buy any food and whinge and bitch about the lane conditions , it would be great to see sponsors fighting to get their compny logos on some of our top bowlers shirts but there is a lot of hard work to be done before it can even become a dream.

Back
Top Bottom