Jim Ferguson "Queensland Legend"

hamster

Just a Bowler
It is with great regret that I advise that Jimmy passed away last night. He has been very ill.

Jim was an institution in bowling and for those of us who bowled with him in the 70s 80s and 90s, we will all have the most wonderful memories.

At one time he had more 300s that any other bowler in Australia – and all with the “old” equipment.

I recieved this this morning from Lorraine Mcloughlin.

Anyone that has met Jim would understand how much he loved this game. Jim had time for anyone from the beginner to the elite. He will be sorely missed.

My condolences to Beryl and family,

Tony Hamilton

I doubt there has been a finer gentleman in this sport. Jim was one of the nicest men I have ever had the privilege to meet in my travels in this country. The sport is lesser for his passing.

RIP Jim and my condolences to his family.

Vale Jim Feguson, we will all be worse for his passing.

A true gentleman, and a great bowler, always ready to say hello or to have a chat. Keep shooting the 300's in heaven Jim, you will be sorely missed.

Our condolendces to his beloved Beryl and to all of his family.

Dale & Debbie Stewart (and family)

very sad news

Jim drilled my very first finger tip ball

Condolences to his family

Yes, One of the nicest people you could meet, always had time to talk to you even if you were a beginer bowler

My condolendces to Beryl and to his family.

Paul Downham

wow! I remember Jim very well, playing against him in rachiug late 80's early 90's. Such a gentleman and very humble, certainly what the sport was all about to a young bowler coming through. We swapped shirts in 1990, was a thrill for me. My condolences to his family, i hope you're extremely proud of the person and bowler Jim was.

Best wishes, Ashley Riley

Jimmy just loved his bowling, was a great role model for all and a wise man with his insight into our sport. Back in the 80's, he passed on his views as to what made a successful tournament circuit and was instrumental in the setting up of the Qld. Ladies Circuit which has led to the formation of the present Twin Tour - his input has resulted in very few changes even after so many years. Jimmy loved the Twin Tour and travelled from the Gold Coast by train in later years to compete, often turning up just to watch tournaments and 'have a chat'.

As has been said, a true gentlemen and my personal sympathies to Beryl and his family .... he joins some elite company in bowling heaven. I mourn his passing ...

Mary Flower

It is sad that people of such stature have to pass on, and has been said
already, and will be repeated many times over, a finer Gentleman on and
off the lanes will not be found. I owe Jim a personal debt of gratitude, as
he changed the way I approached and thought about our sport, and I wonder how many other people had the same learning experience. Jim
was one of the finest exponents of competitiveness and sportmanship
rolled into one package, and the sport of tenpin bowling will be all the
poorer for his passing. To Beryl and the entire Ferguson family, our
condolences on your loss, and may your memories of Jim linger for a long
time.
Lawrie & Carol Hill

A sad day in bowling!
My condolences to Beryl and family.
A nicer man in the bowling industry you would never meet. A true icon, and will be terribly missed.
Jeff Payne.

A friendly word for everyone, a twinkle in his eyes when he smiled......that's how I will remember Jim.

A respected bowler, both on and off the lanes, competitive and fair. One of the true gentlemen of the sport, Jim's accomplishments will live on.

Our deepest sympathies to his family on his passing.

Broni & Jagga Morgan

Jim was an incredibly popular bowler amongst many in the State of Queensland.
One of the first persons to bowl a 300 in Queensland. Jim lost his fight with cancer on Friday the 3rd August at 8pm.

Beryl his wife would like his wider community family of friends to know of his passing.

The funeral details will be advertised in the Gold Coast Bulletin today (Monday 6th August) - I have been told by friends the funeral will be held on Tuesday at Tweed Heads - please confirm these details in the newspaper.

We will all miss him

Sincere sympathy to his family

Very sad to hear this, my condolences to Beryl and the family.
I was reminded today that in his time Jimmy won more Sportsmans awards at Tournaments than anyone else in Australia.
Says it all really.

Jim drilled the ball that I used for my 300 game way back in 1988 I am pretty sure I was the first he did this for. I have not in over 30 years of bowling bowled with or against a better sportsman than Jim.To Beryl & the family my deepest sympathy.
Garry Scarlett

sometimes words can not express just what we want to say. jimmy was one of those people that only come along once in out lifetime, a true and genuine person a great sportsperson, also would offer friendly advice if asked needless to say he will be greatly missed by all that knew him. beryl our deepest sympathy to you and family, jimmy rest in peace. lill and joe.

It is sad to say that we have now lost one of the last true gentleman in the sport.
Jim was always kind and friendly even to an annoying junior like myself all those years ago when i bowled at tweed.
My parents always held Jim and Beryl with high regards.
He will be sadly missed and our prayers go out to Beryl and family.

Donna W :(

My thoughts are with Beryl and her family. I always remember Jimmy coming up to me when I first started bowling at St Leonards, with words of advise which I took with me on the lanes always. Will be sadly missed by the bowling community.
Lovey

Back
Top Bottom