Taking time Out with Jason Doust.

Kellie

Facebook Rocks
TB So of all the sports you could have done as a youngster, why Tenpin Bowling?

JD I honestly don’t know! But my mother was a league bowler. One of my earliest (pre-verbal) memories is of standing on the approaches at the old Parramatta Bowl (the one before Parramatta Superbowl) and the ball return being at eye level. I would have been about 2-3 years old. The perspective at that level is pretty impressive. I still occasionally squat down there to take a look and that memory becomes very clear, so something got stuck in there early, I suspect.

TB What was your first game as a youngster?

JD The first game I remember was when I went bowling with some friends and scored 114. I was about 13 years old. Anything earlier than that is lost, alas!

TB How long was it before you realised you were special and had a real talent for the sport.

JD (When you e-mailed me!) Claude Cook, who ran the Café at Parramatta Superbowl approached my mother and offered to coach me. I wasn’t very good, but OK and he liked my work ethic. It was the first time anyone had shown any interest in me with regard to a sport. But a real boost was when Dr Ed Kee tried me out and took me under his wing.

TB Some people really have to work at bowling to become talented junior players and others seem to be born with good hand eye coordination which do you think you were ?

JD Definitely the latter. My first league average was about 108 and I bowled a backup fade. I got Jeanette Baker’s autograph (as a besotted 15 year old) at a junior coaching camp at Leichhardt and I remember her signing it “Keep up the hard work.” Back then, you could practice for 50 cents a game at Leichhardt if you were a league bowler. I used to spend 20 bucks on a Saturday (two leagues and lots of practice), skipping lunch so I could bowl more. All that hard work was affordable then.

TB Which was the first tournament you won as an individual?

JD When I was 16, I won “Bowler of the Month” at Parramatta, but my real answer would have to be winning a South Pacific Classic spot at Wagga against some of Sydney’s best at 17 years old. I was disqualified a week later as Rule One stated “All entrants must be 18 years of age or older at time of entry.” (Well, I would have been at SPC time…)

TB Do you still get the same buzz winning an event as you did when in junior bowling?

JD Now this is a tricky one to answer. I was a terrible junior and never won anything (ask Carl Bottomley – he can verify this!). Since I’ve been back to bowling, I’ve won a house tournament, but I will confess that it was a thrill.

TB Now you are a top Australian player and one people keep their eye on in events, does the pressure of being who you are to some people affect you in any way.

JD Well, I’m getting back there, but to answer the rest of the question… Yes, terribly. My mother knows to stay 8 lanes away because of the onus of duty I feel when she’s around. It’s lovely to have people wishing you well, but the flip side for me is the awful feeling of letting the folks in the stands down. I’m not Jewish or Catholic yet I become riddled with inexplicable guilt. Now that you’ve bought it to my attention, I must give it some more thought. Thanks! J

TB It’s not known too much but you do a lot within tenpin bowling to help raise the profile of the sport and you also coach beginners. Is coaching something you think you will do more of in the future.

JD I don’t coach. I’m not accredited and therefore, not insured. There are people out there with much better credentials, insurance and patience than me for that job. I do however, share my knowledge and experience readily with people who want to become better players. Just ask and maybe I know something that can help. But I don’t coach…

TB What tournament do you still want to win the most?

JD The one I’m standing on the approach in next. I’m not fussy.

TB Having played at the highest levels already do you have ambition’s to take it further say maybe the USA Professional bowlers tour or PBA as its known in America.

JD No. I played on the PBA in 1992. It is the hardest job I know of. In the words of Team USA coach Mike Lastowski, it’s the only job where you pay $1000 a week to go to work and if you finish in the top 1/3 of your fellow workers (who are the best in the world), you get your $1000 back and make nothing. To make a wage, you have to finish higher. I might consider a Seniors event in the future, but it would be as a tourist.

TB Would you consider being shrunk into a mobile phone game or a next generation online game?

JD Oh God no! (Well, if the money was good…)

TB An idea is to have a Pro celebrity Bowler showdown on TV to raise the profile of tenpin bowling and to make Australians aware that we are world leaders in the sport. Who if you had a choice would you love to bowl with.

JD We’re world leaders? Don’t count me in; I’m rusty as hell right now! If I had to play a celebrity, I honestly don’t know. I’ve never been into the celebrity thing. Belmo’ll do. I’ll show him how to hook the ball. ;-) (I’d have to shave for that, wouldn’t I..?)

TB You are a very handsome Man ever thought of a bit of modeling?

JD You’re a very smooth talker. Have you considered a career in politics? Or is this a favourite pick up line? J

TB Besides bowling what did you want to be when you were growing up?

JD I didn’t know then, I still don’t know and I refuse to grow up.

TB What do you do outside the sport for fun?

JD I love to walk in the bush with my wife, Adele and dog Teddy and also enjoy a good long bike ride. (Canberra has great cycle paths and weather.)

TB If you were to tell anyone why should they tenpin bowl what would you say?

JD Depending on the audience, I would say;

<!--[if !supportLists]-->- <!--[endif]-->because of the fascinating physics of the game (momentum, velocity, acceleration, coefficients of friction & restitution or the plethora of concurrent differential relations) or

<!--[if !supportLists]-->- <!--[endif]-->you can drink beer while playing.

Or both of these reasons come to think of it.

TB The sport’s given you some good friends and let you travel the world, would you say it’s been worth it?

JD Bowling has given me more than that. Through bowling I have learned the value of a dollar won, a victory shared, a bitter defeat swallowed with dignity, the joy of difficult goals achieved and the importance of maintaining your and your opponents dignity. Sometimes I fail in these pursuits, but I keep on trying. Worth it? Most days, yes. Like everything in life, it has ups and downs.

TB What would be the highlight of your career to date.

JD Winning the South Pacific Classic at Bankstown in front of 1000 people on National TV against Terry Wenban, who was Australia’s leading title holder at the time. Another great moment was winning the Festival City Cup in Norwood, defeating local hero Gary Jeffrey. Thank God the SA President’s Shield team was there or nobody would have clapped!

TB Boxers or briefs or free for all...

JD World’s Greatest Bowler? - Norm Duke. I saw him average 244/6 off the sixth arrow with a urethane ball in 1992. He had to loft the ball 10ft to clear the left hand gutter while using soft speed. Impressive enough until you consider this was on timber lanes with 44ft of oil! Wetter than NSW Open this year by a long shot.

TB Who has been your driving force in your career

JD So many inspirational folks. My dear Mum, who’s always so proud. Jeanette Baker, Ron Powell and Shane Woods for grit/tenacity. Terry Wenban for the ability to take advantage of what’s there – he’s won stuff from 2 board to 20 board and everything in between. (Even if I did line him up for a Liverpool Cup one year or he won at Campbelltown with my ball!) Chris Batson for showing us all how a ball could roll. Marshall Holman and Mark Roth for opening new doors on the game. Eric Thompson for his good humour and Jim Ferguson for showing me how to be a gentleman. One day I might even be one!

TB
TB Boxers or briefs or free for all...
JD World’s Greatest Bowler? - Norm Duke. I saw him average 244/6 off the sixth arrow with a urethane ball in 1992. He had to loft the ball 10ft to clear the left hand gutter while using soft speed. Impressive enough until you consider this was on timber lanes with 44ft of oil! Wetter than NSW Open this year by a long shot.
[be one!

does living in Canberra mean you can answer a question with a totally unrelated topic??? :)

It said "Free for All" - That seemed like a place to say something that was otherwise not asked. As for Boxers or Briefs, well, that's my business! ;)

Back
Top Bottom