North Queensland Rachuig Teams

F

Funky Chicken

Over the weekend of the 1st and 2nd March, 2003 the roll-offs were held at Kirwan to decide the NQ Rachuig sides.

After 16 gruelling games (anyone who bowled knows what I am talking about) the teams were as follows (Top 5 past the post + 2 selections);

Men
Steve FORSTER
Graham GRIMES
Stephen HUNT
Tyson JONES
Angelo NUCIFORA
Sam NUCIFORA
Barry PARK

Women
Veronica ACRES
Tina GATES
Leigh HARRIS
Madeleine HILL
Kate MURRY
Val PRIEN
Lorraine RIORDAN

Special mention must go to the following people;

Angelo Nucifora - for one of the most courageous performances I have seen in 25 years of bowling. This guy had an absyss in his mouth that made it look like he had swallowed two golf balls. He was in all sorts of pain, yet stuck with it to bowl himself into the top 5. Ang you truly are a "Freak".

Ian Waters (Proprietor of Kirwan Lanes) - For challenging the bowlers of NQ by putting down some of the worst conditions I have ever bowled on. This man went above and beyond the call of duty by advertising a month before the roll-off that people could come and practice on the exact condition that would be used for the roll-off. He even went to the trouble of putting a nice colour diagram on his notice board outlining the oiling pattern that was to be used. Imagine the surprise of all the bowlers when they discovered that the condition was NOTHING even remotely close to what he had promoted. And then when some bowlers had the audacity to complain Ian's comment was "If you think you can do better, then you go and do it" That's what I have always like about Ian - a real professional to the end.

Well I gotta go and stick my plastic ball in the freezer till nationals, otherwise I won't be able to keep my ball on the lane. Unless of course a hidden reserve of oil is suddenly discovered somewhere in the Thuringowa area.

:twisted: :twisted: :twisted:

Congratulations to the new inaugral Queensland North Rachuig team

Each and every one of you well done.

I hear it was pretty tough with the lane condition changed every 4 games?? Tough Roll off - Tough team.

I look forward to meeting up with some of you over Easter in Townsville when we are doing the NQ Junior Development program - I would love to congratulate you in person. Great teams. Great to see the Nucifora men up at the plate again, Stephen and Tyson, Barry - sound players a mix of experience and new blood. Sorry I do not know the games of the other two in your team - but I bet I will soon.
The Ladies - I know 4 of your players - I look forward to meeting the rest.
I BET YOU CAN'T WAIT TILL THE NATIONALS

c u soon

Best wishes

Gail Torrens

Congratulations to those that made the team. Any comment on the conditions may be read as sour grapes on my part, so I wont bother except to say that Steve was probably being too kind. It's a strong team, and will be hard to beat, especially at Kirwan.
Steve, I left before the sheet went up, so who ended up in the top 5 and who was selected?

Geez Robbie I gave you a tip.......you obviously didn't have a SPARE STORM in your bag now did you? :lol: :lol: :lol:

Rob,

Top 5 men were
Tubby, Tyson, Sam, Angelo and Bluey with Barry Park and Steve Forster being selected.

Top 5 women were
Leigh Harris, Ronni Acres, Tina Gates, Kate Murry and Lorraine Riordan with Maddy Hill and Val Prien being selected.

I knew I kept that pink Visionary ball for a reason.

:? :? :?

YOU ARE ALL TOO KIND

WELL ITS THE DAY AFTER AND IM SITTING DOWN ON MY CHAIR IN FRONT OF THE COMPUTER THINKING OF WAT COULD HAVE BEEN, WHEN INSTEAD I SHOULD HAVE BEEN THINKING WAT A GREAT WEEKEND I HAD AND THAT I AM SO PROUD OF BEING PART OF A ELITE TEAM OF BOWLERS FROM THE NORTH.
DONT GET ME WRONG I THINK THE BOWLWERS THAT MADE THE TEAM DESERVE TO BE THERE BUT THE CONDITIONS THAT WE HAVE ALL DREADED FOR SO MANY YEARS CAME BACK TO HAUNT AS FOR YET ANOTHER TOURNY.
WHY WITH THE EQUIPMENT WE HAVE THESE DAYS AND THE CALABA OF BOWLERS WE HAVE IN THE NORTH IS IT SO HAD FOR AT LEAST ONE PERSON TO SHOOT A 200 AVERAGE FOR 16 GAMES. WELL I WILL TELL YOU, IT IS BECAUSE WE HAVE AMATUER ORGANISATIONS WORKING WITH AMATUER PROPRIOTORS WHO LAY DOWN FAR FROM AMATUER CONDITIONS. EXCUSERS, EXCUSERS THATS ALL WE HEARD ALL WEEKEND INSTEAD WAT WE SHOULD OF HEARD WAS RESOLUTIONS AND WE NEVER EVEN GOT AN APOLIGY NOT SAYING WE ARE THE NEXT WALTER RAY BUT WE ARE PAYING CUSTOMERS AND THAT IS WAT THEY ARE FORGETTING.
AS PART OF THE FIRST RACHUIQ TEAM I AM DISCUSTED AT THE EFFORT THAT WAS MADE TO ALLOW THE BEST CONDITIONS AND THE BEST BOWLERS TO SHOW CASE THERE TALENTS OVER 16 GAMES TWO DAYS OF BOWLERS, I KNOW I CANT CHANGE WAT HAPPENED THIS TIME BUT I CAN ONLY HOPE THAT THE RUTHLESS PEOPLE THAT ALLOWED THIS DISASTER TO HAPPEN TO NORHT QUENNSLAND CAN ONLY GET TOGETHER IN THE NEAR FUTURE AND TRY AND MAKE SURE IT NEVER HAPPENS AGAIN.
WELL ENOUGH OF ME WINGING AND I MADE THE TEAM SO YOU CAN IMAGINE HOW OTHER BOWLERS BETTER THEN ME FEEL.
BYE FOR NOW!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Well done to all who made the team, just by looking at the names you should call the mens team " TEAM SPEED " as all you guys break the 35km/h per shot barrier regulary. I'm guessing the lanes were dry and tough but hey, sometimes you just got to play with what your given (hey Funky Chicken at Redcliffe :D)

Looking forward to seeing you all in October.

G

George,

To give you an idea of what it was like for everybody,

Game 1 on Day 1 - I bowled my MOJO down 9 board at a conservative 28 - 30kmh and the ball just flicked the headpin on the brooklyn side. I thought I may have missed my mark, but then I saw that everybody else was having the same problem.

Game 4 on Day 1 (Lanes just re-oiled) - bowling my MONEY at a very slow 25kmh and the ball refuses to come up to the headpin just no back end at all.

Games 1-4 on Day 2 - oiling machine solinoid breaks meaning that lanes are washed and buffed, but no oil (I kid you not). I am bowling with a super highly polished ball at breakneck speed (35-40kmh) and the ball is still finding it hard to stay right of the headpin.

Games 5-8 on Day 2 - finally they put something resembling oil down, as well as doing something to the pin decks that see bowlers having messengers for the first time all weekend (Pins were brand new).

About game 2 on the first day I realised why it had been 8 years since I had bowled at Kirwan - different management, different lane surface but the same 3rd world quality lane conditions.

I know I am far from the perfect bowler, and I made some bad shots over the weekend. But at times I was seriously scared that the friction caused by someone's ball striking the lane could cause a fire.

Never before I have seen so many good bowlers looking completely lost, and no idea what to do next.

:twisted: :twisted: :twisted:

Thats pretty amazing Steve, 5 very different conditions in 2 days, it must have felt like bowling in 4 different countries :shock: . Anyway, it would appear that the people who probably deserved to make the team did, yes there are some surprises in there but hey thats life in a big city. Congrats once again, chat to you soon.

G

Hi Steve, congats at making the first senior Nth Queensland Team.
Is Tina Gates, Tina Olsen that used to bowl Juniors in the late 80's early 90's.

All the Best
Rob T

BURDEKIN OPEN $3000 FIRST PLACE GUARANTEED

HI TINA ITS A OLD FREIND AT BURDEKIN BOWL HERE GOOD TO SEE YOU STILL HAVE AN INTEREST IN BOWLING HOPE TO SEE YOU BACK IN A CENTRE SOON.
HELLO EVERYONE I HAVE FINALLY GOT OVER THE WEEKEND AND IM NOW LOOKING TO THE FUTURE OF BOWLING IN NORTH QUEENSLAND. WITH THE OPEN ONLY SIX MONTHS AWAY AND SOME SQUADS ALREADY HALF FULL IF THERE WAS ANY OF YOU WILLING TO GIVE US PROPRIOTORS ANOTHER GO AT A CONDITON SUITABLE FOR TOURNAMENT PLAY, THEN PLZ CONSIDER THE BURDEKIN OPEN. RECENTLY I HAVE BOWLED ON WHAT COULD BE THE CONDITION AT THE OPEN AND HAVE THROWN DECENT SCORES LIKE 15 IN A ROW AND ALSO A LEFTY THAT BOWLS OFTEN ON A MONDAY NIGHT LAST NIGHT THREW A 277 FOR A NICE 800 SERIES I ALSO SHOT A 954 THE WEEK BEFORE, SO AS YOU CAN SEE BOTH SIDES ARE SCORING. I HAVE THE SKINS COMING UP IN APRIL WITH A ENTRY FEE CHANGE AND PRIZE STRUCTURE CHANGE SO IF ANY OF YOU WIH TO BOWL IN THAT PLEASE GIVE ME A CALL OR EMAIL ME BACK.

Hey Rob,

Good to hear from you.

Mate Tina Gates is a young girl from Cairns just out of juniors.

Tina OLSEN was living in Townsville for a fair while, but I think she got married and has not been into a bowl for at least 6 or 7 years.

Are you coming up for Nationals ??

Hope to see you up here

Steve

PS Sam oops I mean Brown Beach Boy put me down for your next skins I wouldn't miss it for quids.

Congrats. to all who made the team - tuff to keep the brain working when conditions are that tuff!! They breed them TUFF up in the North!!

Congrats. to ATBSO (Seniors stuff) on their decision to base the National Champs. and Team Challenge at Kedron - I have problems seeing a 'really' old lady with 22km. ball speed and full of Celebrex throwing the ball at 35-40kms!!! Don't get me wrong - I LUV Townsville as my daughter lives there but I have bowled there in the past...............Yes - I know we should adjust but 35-40kms.?????? NOT..............Oh to be YOUNG again......and where is my Black Diamond? (don't know what that is - just ask an over 45's)

FLOWER

:lol: ....don't worry about the "really old" ladies...even a "not so old" old lady is wondering how to get her ball to go that fast, and still take a reasonable amount of pins with it! :oops:

Broni :wink:

Congratulations to all bowlers who made the first North Queensland Rachuig and Walter De-Veer Teams. :) Sorry am a little late, but better than never. :roll: Am looking forward to bowling at this level again (am a bit of a relic but think I should be able to hold my own) :oops: See u all at the first practice. Hi to everybody else.

hey bazz

HEY BAZZ THANX FOR YOUR REPLY ARE YOU GOING TO BE COMING DOWN FOR THE OPEN IF SO LET US KNOW AS WE ARE FILLING FAST THANX MATE

Open

Should be ok to come down. :D . If u can pencil me in 'B' squad :?:. If I have a problem with work I will let u know in plenty of time. :wink: As soon as u have a firm entry u best send some to me so I can rally the troops to come down :) . Hear from u later.
Barry.Park

Back
Top Bottom