Bad sportsmanship

Status
Not open for further replies.
C

cRuNcHiE

i would just like to shame some of the bowlers at yesterdays aspley junior senior tournament. i was watching some of the bowling and i saw some good performances, but i was shocked when i saw bad sportsmanship at the worst kind. even worse than a beam ball in cricket. I was watching lane 1 and 2 at the time and phillip fagg was bowling some good shots and getting some good carry and obviously liked it, and having watched phillip at various tournaments in the last few yrs he is a loud person, and he clapped his hands at the shot as he liked it. now one of the bowlers had been discomforted by this and came down and spoke to phillip and said not to do it when he was bowling from what i heard in my seat. the next shot phillip bowled an excellent shot and liked it but was on the wrong lane. thinking he had 4 in a row he clapped again but louder. it was then that i saw another gentleman come down to phillip and say a fegw irate words. i have since found out this gentleman is in a league that doesnt condone any sort of excitement. i would not like to bowl in this league as it doesnt sound very fun and i thought the sport was about having fun. well after this gentleman left phillip then bowled a few bad shots before stumbling to a 190 game. to me that is bad sportsmanship and it looked as though a less talented bowler tried and succeeded to put the more talented bowler off his game. as an avid supporter of tenpin bowling i would like to see this out of the game and i would encourage that gentleman to stay away from tournaments that any juniors are bowling in as it is a very popular thing in the sport for the younger bowlers and i love it. it adds more excitement to the game and i would like to see a lot more of it.
anyway that is my two cents

buhbye for now
ps congrats to hayli and albert for taking out the title

This kind of topic has been discussed before and I agree with what you are saying. I would like to know if there are any rules against it (skitching, which is the clapping of the hands) and if there's not then I say go for it. Not enough of it these days! How boring do we want this sport to get? Pretty soon it's going to be like golf where only a soft 'golf clap' will be permitted when a bowler is on fire.

To all those people against it I invite you to come check out East Coast in a couple of weeks (especially the youth section) and see how much fun we get upto. Then maybe you will realise that the sport is not just about winning, its about having fun.

cRuNcHiE said:
i would just like to shame some of the bowlers at yesterdays aspley junior senior tournament. i was watching some of the bowling and i saw some good performances, but i was shocked when i saw bad sportsmanship at the worst kind. even worse than a beam ball in cricket. I was watching lane 1 and 2 at the time and phillip fagg was bowling some good shots and getting some good carry and obviously liked it, and having watched phillip at various tournaments in the last few yrs he is a loud person, and he clapped his hands at the shot as he liked it. now one of the bowlers had been discomforted by this and came down and spoke to phillip and said not to do it when he was bowling from what i heard in my seat. the next shot phillip bowled an excellent shot and liked it but was on the wrong lane. thinking he had 4 in a row he clapped again but louder. it was then that i saw another gentleman come down to phillip and say a fegw irate words. i have since found out this gentleman is in a league that doesnt condone any sort of excitement. i would not like to bowl in this league as it doesnt sound very fun and i thought the sport was about having fun. well after this gentleman left phillip then bowled a few bad shots before stumbling to a 190 game. to me that is bad sportsmanship and it looked as though a less talented bowler tried and succeeded to put the more talented bowler off his game. as an avid supporter of tenpin bowling i would like to see this out of the game and i would encourage that gentleman to stay away from tournaments that any juniors are bowling in as it is a very popular thing in the sport for the younger bowlers and i love it. it adds more excitement to the game and i would like to see a lot more of it.
anyway that is my two cents

buhbye for now
ps congrats to hayli and albert for taking out the title

Oh! It's involved in one of "those" leagues.
These fat, whining, boring, underachieving pricks shit me no end with thier endless "he made a noise I'm going to complain" - "he's having too much fun, I'll be putting in a complaint" mentality.
The sooner those tosspots are run out of the game, the better.

bowling is dead from that perspective.

atmosphere is being killed by these prima donna's who take the game more seriously than "the pro's".

it's now bad to show any emotion on the lanes.

noise within centers has dropped ten fold in the last 5-8 years, so has the sense of support for your team mates.

it's turning into a boring, monotonous sport, might as well have robots out bowling on the lanes.

i would have complained and had that idiot thrown out who got in his face. Or thrown another strike and clapped again :D

cRuNcHiE said:

I agree with what you are saying. Sure, be serious about the game, but some people go too far. I do a smiliar thing to what Phillip was doing, sometimes. I find it keeps me going, pumps me up. If bowling is not about fun, then why would people bother playing. Sport needs less of the people who have to put you down about having a good time. You're supposed to enjoy yourself, and that's all that Phillip was doing, and the fact that people told him otherwise is downright pathetic on their part. Like I have already said, if bowling wasn't about fun, then why would people play it. Some people might say for the money. I say what makes you want that money. It can be the competition you're bowling against, it could be just the thrill of bowling. This all links to having some fun. I enjoy bowling against some of the best juniors in the game, and have a bit of fun doing so. The thrill makes me keep coming back to bowl time after time. I'm in it for the mates, the competition, the action, the antics, the money (don't win much :D )... and most of all...the fun.

Bubyee

Rowey :p

I would have thought it might have been the other way though, a tournament player being irritated by noisy league bowlers. I prefer having ambient noise while playing.

I have never been bowling better since i became less serious and started having more fun. Going around woohooing and stuff. No one has ever complained in my league and everyone has a good time. I am still serious about playing the best i can, but now a miss is dealt with a "whatever" and i get on with the job. I found having a more relaxed attitude helps.

I feel sorry for those who are critical of people enjoying themselves. I have to say though, tournaments are a different matter. I think league is fun, a tournament is for the more serious bowler which i think brings a different attitude.

I am getting encouragement and congratulations from more senior bowlers since i have increased my average about 20 over the last 7 weeks since i got a new ball.

I hope to always play in a fun league where i can enjoy my bowling rather than it being a chore. It did get to the point where i wasnt enjoying my game and getting frustrated. But i took on a new attitude and its never been better.

I wish i was bowling right now.............. sorry, gotta go bowl :p

MinusZero said:
I would have thought it might have been the other way though, a tournament player being irritated by noisy league bowlers. I prefer having ambient noise while playing.

I have never been bowling better since i became less serious and started having more fun. Going around woohooing and stuff. No one has ever complained in my league and everyone has a good time. I am still serious about playing the best i can, but now a miss is dealt with a "whatever" and i get on with the job. I found having a more relaxed attitude helps.

I feel sorry for those who are critical of people enjoying themselves. I have to say though, tournaments are a different matter. I think league is fun, a tournament is for the more serious bowler which i think brings a different attitude.

I am getting encouragement and congratulations from more senior bowlers since i have increased my average about 20 over the last 7 weeks since i got a new ball.

I hope to always play in a fun league where i can enjoy my bowling rather than it being a chore. It did get to the point where i wasnt enjoying my game and getting frustrated. But i took on a new attitude and its never been better.

I wish i was bowling right now.............. sorry, gotta go bowl :p

Maybe you can restrict the noise factor, but the other things such as riding a shot, or clapping yourself along, etc. are things that people normally do to get themselves pumped up and to get themselves going. I think nearly everyone would ride a shot at least once in their bowling career :D

Bubyee

Rowey :p

I'll start this by saying " I wasn't there, so I didn't see it'.

There needs to be some respect shown from both parties.

If Phillips antics were putting someone off, they certainly have the right to go and have a quiet chat to him about it. This looks on the surface like it handled ok.

If Phillip then decides to do exactly the same on his next shot, I'm sorry, but he's probably going to get what is coming to him. It sounds like, from the first post that Phillip hasn't shown the other people in the tournament very much respect. That's a bit selfish on his part, but I know he's not alone in this practice of noise making.

If Phillips clapping or 'skitching' is putting someone off ten lanes away, then there is a problem. We don't want the sport to degenerate into no fun at all, but we dont want to have to sit there and watch one guy bowl in a 20 lane centre, because he'll scream it up if he bowls a strike.

Peter Martin.

from what i was told by several bowlers that were there the second man threatned phillip. which is disgusting! how can someone get away with that when hand skitching was going on by several of the jnrs bowling in his squad. must say i would never want to bowl in a tournament with this guy because i would skitch my hands after every good strike i got!

MoNtAnNa said:
from what i was told by several bowlers !

Thats the problem with Ten Pin Bowling !
This is the most popular line used in the sport!!!!!!!

Tiger said:
Oh! It's involved in one of "those" leagues.
These fat, whining, boring, underachieving pricks shit me no end with thier endless "he made a noise I'm going to complain" - "he's having too much fun, I'll be putting in a complaint" mentality.
The sooner those tosspots are run out of the game, the better.

Beautifully written!

Graeme

Unfortunately, a lot of those 'tosspots' inject funds through sponsorship to your tournaments, thus making it possible for you to bowl in them.

The Spanner said:
Unfortunately, a lot of those 'tosspots' inject funds through sponsorship to your tournaments, thus making it possible for you to bowl in them.

In my experience those 'tosspots' care about nothing more than themselves and the last thing they would do is put their hands in their pocket to inject sponsership into any tournament.

Graeme

For Example: If someone scored a hatrick or double hatrick in soccer and they go running up the sideline with their shirt half up, that somone will come and get up them because they put them off.?? its about having fun. ok i really dont understand how a hand clap can put someone off there bowling? havent these people ever been to nationals or shield or rocky? thats what it is all about. being loud and having fun. you need to learn to just block it out. Like at nationals i had one of the central boys lane ride right in front of me it didnt put me off i just laughed! and anyone that knows phillip fagg should know that you need to giv him time to get off the approach before you bowl. as he more then likely will clap his hands!

granat said:
In my experience those 'tosspots' care about nothing more than themselves and the last thing they would do is put their hands in their pocket to inject sponsership into any tournament.

Graeme

Don't you wonder why the youth circuit is diminishing in such a way that it will probably totally disappear due to lack of funds?

I have done some digging into this incident, and you might be surprised to know that the 'tosspot' puts a heap of money into bowling.

If this guy who was doing the clapping offered some kind of apology for putting off the other player, there probably wouldn't be a problem. He's not the only one trying to bowl the best score he can, you know.

bitchy lil brunette said:
For Example: If someone scored a hatrick or double hatrick in soccer and they go running up the sideline with their shirt half up, that somone will come and get up them because they put them off.?? its about having fun. ok i really dont understand how a hand clap can put someone off there bowling? havent these people ever been to nationals or shield or rocky? thats what it is all about. being loud and having fun. you need to learn to just block it out. Like at nationals i had one of the central boys lane ride right in front of me it didnt put me off i just laughed! and anyone that knows phillip fagg should know that you need to giv him time to get off the approach before you bowl. as he more then likely will clap his hands!

If someone scores a goal in soccer ... PLAY STOPS.
If someone bowls a strike in bowling, play is still continuing on other lanes. Be a bit more respectful of other people. Your not the only one in the centre.

I watched 2 different guys bowl 279 on the weekend at Redcliffe. Neither of them had to resort to clapping or yelping or skitching to gee themselves up. They were very composed ... maybe a lesson could be learned from these guys.

There was one guy in my squad at the KandK this year who constantly clapped his hands at good balls and bad balls. Everyone looked at him like he was a wanker. There is another lesson.

Im only a junior and yet even as Im bowling my way into some sort of record book when im older (nah not really, couldnt think of any other opening line) I have noticed that certain people will do certain things very un sportsman like. A good example is one of me mates, when he stuffs up a shot he will either swear at the pins or make a gesture at the pins, kick the machines or just get really moody. I think it is terrible that people are so nasty at bowling. I mean if im on a roll the whole center knows about it (5-bagger last night :D ) Scoops will even back me up about it. Ten pin bowling is supposed to be a fun sport, loud and happy. The only time people should have to concentrate is when they hit professional level and even then people should still be having fun.....Well Ive had my two cents cyas!

The point to this thread raised by "Chrunchie" who is apparently a female junior living in Victoria (yet a witness to this incident at Aspley, Qld???)

Was Bad Sportmanship, if someone went up to Phillip and punched him or chucked his gear around that would be a disgusting display of sportmanship. However bearing in mind that Phillip is 18 years old and old enough to fight his own battles it really makes the whole topic a load of shit.

I agree that bowling is something to be enjoyed by ALL. If Phillip's antics were upsetting other bowlers then where is their right to enjoy the sport. Jodie "Bitchy Lil Brunette" made mention of the Nationals, Shield & Rocky but failed to also state that skitching & ball riding is actually banned from all those tournaments & in fact can land you a yellow card & in extreme cases disqualification. Perhaps one of the central boys did ride a ball in front of you and you just laughed it off, but remember you're only 15 years old & it's all fun, jokes and games to you.

The seniors bowling in that tournament have not witnessed skitching & lane riding throughout their junior years & have every right to feel uncomfortable by this. Phillip was approached & asked to calm down but showed a blantant disregard & disrespect for all the others around by continuing.

What is most disturbing is the fact that people are of the opinion that you should always stand back when Phillip bowls to save yourself the inconvenience of his skitching, yelling and ball riding. Well it seems only one person is enjoying their time on the lanes while everbody else is cowering to not only Phillip but all the other loudmouths out there.

Let's get back to a common ground & cut the crap so everyone can enjoy their social outing. By no means does it have to be morbid or dead silent but lets drop the drama queens & let your ball do the talking for you. You don't see the big bowlers skitching & carrying on like 2 year olds!!!!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom