Bad sportsmanship

Status
Not open for further replies.
Or, if i was phillip, just smack the fella around the head.. no more complaining will be coming from his mouth.. both parties are happy.. problem solved!

P.S - im kinda suprised philly diddnt do that anyway. :p

Wafe said:
Or, if i was phillip, just smack the fella around the head.. no more complaining will be coming from his mouth.. both parties are happy.. problem solved!

P.S - im kinda suprised philly diddnt do that anyway. :p

Your takin a brave stance on this Wafe ... or are you .. can't find a name anywhere ....

It's funny we haven't actually heard from Phillip on this thread. He's normally pretty active on the site. I'd like to hear his side of the story, but I think he realizes that he might have been in the wrong.

Three phone calls later and I finally found someone I knew who was in the tourney. The other guy was Nick Politas (?), not sure how it's spelt. Apparently he's been kicked out of Kedron and has a history of getting his own way. Whoever Reggae is.........you sound like a bit of a clown too! How can you speak for all the adults bowling in the tourney - if you've been around for more than a few years and haven't heard clapping you must be deaf. Foot skitching is bloody annoying but hand clapping is part of the sport. Any apologies should be coming from this Politas guy. And where was the lane rider? As for Spanner, your nuts are loose pal....if you're the same Peter Martin from last years Adult De Veer team - you can't abuse anyone for poor behaviour!!!! As juniors in Qld in the 90's, we were encouraged to clap, sing chants and make noise - even by Mrs Weir (luv ya Nell). Has anyone thought about the blue card thing - if an adult offers violence to a junior, do they have to have a blue card? Was Tony Hamilton or Morty Douglas bowling in this tournament? I can't imagine they wouldn't lane ride or shout. Queensland bowling needs a big injection of enthusiasm and it aint gonna come from wankers like Reggae or Spanner. I think that there's some personal blood letting going on in this thread. Get back to the original post...........did this politas guy offer violence , for whatever reason........if he did, he deserves to be carded. If he's a sponsor, he should pull his head in! See you all at Sharp................I'll be the one clapping and riding my 1 lane (as per the rules).

The Reggae said:
Phillip was approached & asked to calm down but showed a blantant disregard & disrespect for all the others around by continuing.

I think that says it all ... well said.

I think it all comes down to where you are bowling. If you are bowling Shield, Youth or De Veer, the chanting is part of it - but it's totally different at other tournaments. If you are bowling with seniors, show some respect.

Yes, Postman Pete ... it's the same Peter Martin. I read through my posts and I haven't abused anyone. I've also spoken to three or four people about what happened, and it seems there was a deliberate attempt by the youth to put off the senior bowler, which led to the second 'warning'. It seems he was quite lucky the first bowler didn't get to him before Mick stepped in.

Yellow Cards, Red Cards, Disqualification ... they are all soft options. Lets start handing out 6 week holidays (bans or suspensions) like they do to golf club members who throw clubs and chuck tanties.

Spanner , im not taking a stance on this at all. just having a joke. but i really am suprised Phill diddnt do more to annoy the other fella. All of this would have been great to see though.

Wafe said:
Spanner , im not taking a stance on this at all. just having a joke. but i really am suprised Phill diddnt do more to annoy the other fella. All of this would have been great to see though.

Wafe .. he did (apparently .. remember, I wasn't there). That's why the second guy stepped in, to stop what might have happened.

I'd be very surprised if Mick Politsas threatened anyone with physical harm ... that's not him. I'd say the story has grown a bit (and out of proportion too).

I was at Walter De Veer last year and I don't recall Peter Martin showing any bad sportsmanship or behaviour.
I may be biased because I'm from South Qld but I think the comment from Postman Pete was totally unwarranted.

Tiger said:
Oh! It's involved in one of "those" leagues.
These fat, whining, boring, underachieving pricks shit me no end with thier endless "he made a noise I'm going to complain" - "he's having too much fun, I'll be putting in a complaint" mentality.
The sooner those tosspots are run out of the game, the better.
We bowl in a league and there's this bowler who will whinge at anything that moves.That's his way of putting his opposition off.Two weeks back he was bowling against a team of young bowlers. I told the young bowlers to watch out for him.Before the start of the game,he came to them and told them you guys better follow the rules if not your points will be deducted. After few frames,he put his bowling towel on one of the female bowler's ball. She told him to take his stinking towel off.He was offended by this and told her he can put his towel where he wants.Next thing i know they were arguing.He told her he is high average bowler and one of the "committee member" and he's gonna kick her out of the league.She told him to "kiss her skinny ass".During the committee meeting we told him she had every right to ask him to remove his towel.He argued and argued.Finally he treatened to leave the league..
We wished him well :)

alexnjudy said:
We bowl in a league and there's this bowler who will whinge at anything that moves.That's his way of putting his opposition off.Two weeks back he was bowling against a team of young bowlers. I told the young bowlers to watch out for him.Before the start of the game,he came to them and told them you guys better follow the rules if not your points will be deducted. After few frames,he put his bowling towel on one of the female bowler's ball. She told him to take his stinking towel off.He was offended by this and told her he can put his towel where he wants.Next thing i know they were arguing.He told her he is high average bowler and one of the "committee member" and he's gonna kick her out of the league.She told him to "kiss her skinny ass".During the committee meeting we told him she had every right to ask him to remove his towel.He argued and argued.Finally he treatened to leave the league..
We wished him well :)

I think that's great ... you got rid of the trouble maker. You told him to pull his head in, and you got the result you wanted.

If he won't be missed, it's no loss, and your league will be better off without him.

As much as I don't like the 'tosspots' that Tiger was referring to who seem hell bent on taking the fun out of the sport, if Phillip's intention was to deliberately try to annoy another bowler then that kinda makes him a 'tosspot' too and it sounds like he deserved everything he got.

Some people just have to learn the hard way and there's not much fun in that.

Graeme

The Reggae said:
The point to this thread raised by "Chrunchie" who is apparently a female junior living in Victoria (yet a witness to this incident at Aspley, Qld???)

Was Bad Sportmanship, if someone went up to Phillip and punched him or chucked his gear around that would be a disgusting display of sportmanship. However bearing in mind that Phillip is 18 years old and old enough to fight his own battles it really makes the whole topic a load of shit.

I agree that bowling is something to be enjoyed by ALL. If Phillip's antics were upsetting other bowlers then where is their right to enjoy the sport. Jod"EE" "Bitchy Lil Brunette" made mention of the Nationals, Shield & Rocky but failed to also state that skitching & ball riding is actually banned from all those tournaments & in fact can land you a yellow card & in extreme cases disqualification. Perhaps one of the central boys did ride a ball in front of you and you just laughed it off, but remember you're only 15 years old & it's all fun, jokes and games to you.

The seniors bowling in that tournament have not witnessed skitching & lane riding throughout their junior years & have every right to feel uncomfortable by this. Phillip was approached & asked to calm down but showed a blantant disregard & disrespect for all the others around by continuing.

What is most disturbing is the fact that people are of the opinion that you should always stand back when Phillip bowls to save yourself the inconvenience of his skitching, yelling and ball riding. Well it seems only one person is enjoying their time on the lanes while everbody else is cowering to not only Phillip but all the other loudmouths out there.

Let's get back to a common ground & cut the crap so everyone can enjoy their social outing. By no means does it have to be morbid or dead silent but lets drop the drama queens & let your ball do the talking for you. You don't see the big bowlers skitching & carrying on like 2 year olds!!!!!!

Yeah sure im only 15 so that has nothing to do with it, yeah i joke around because i love having fun when i bowl. Yeah that's right it is just a GAME.
So i don't understand if lane riding or ball riding is banned in rocky then why didnt phillip/luke get yellow carded when they rode the lane and danced around the pole? or even strazz im sure he rode the lane many of times.

And Also at shield this year alot of people were riding lanes! isnt that what there is a topic in here about "shield is all about lane riding" or something? And i will be honest i skitched my shoes at nationals and i didnt get yellow carded or disqualified and i had one of the tournament officials standing right behind me.

You Also Said this.
What is most disturbing is the fact that people are of the opinion that you should always stand back when Phillip bowls to save yourself the inconvenience of his skitching, yelling and ball riding. Well it seems only one person is enjoying their time on the lanes while everbody else is cowering to not only Phillip but all the other loudmouths out there.

Isn't this called giving way? and then it is your own fault if you are on the lane beside phillip and he decides he is gonna clap his hands because you should have waited for him.

Can Somone Actually tell me if Phillip did "SKITCH" his SHOES!?

Well Just My Opinion.

I was on the lane next to Philip when all this was occuring. I never heard Phil skitch his shoes once. Yeah he got a bit excited, clapped his hands a few times (and by the way - this is not skitching! It's hand clapping! Skitching is making a high pitched sqeak with your shoes on the approach. I should also mention that shoe skitching is easy to do accidentally as well, especially with the non sliding shoe with the rubber sole. On a few occasions I have accidentally done that without meaning to).

I don't know about any threats or anything like that, I didn't hear anything like that said, but I do know there was some confrontation. One of the people involved asked me if it was banned in the rules, and my response was no, because it's not banned in the rules. Yes, respect should be shown to other bowlers, but I think people have to keep in mind at times that we are young and make mistakes. And in terms of lane riding, well, what are you going to do about that one. Not only is it not specifically banned in the rule book, but rather it is expressly allowed under "bowling ettiquete". As Postman_Pete said, you're allowed one lane, and nobody really has the right to stop you, and you're supposed to give way until they have completed their shot (ie - not the delivery, but the whole shot). If you want to get up on the approach before they finish, fine, but if they ride partway onto your lane in front of you, accept it and get on with the job and execute your shot to the best of your ability. What about the lane ride George Frilingos did at QS state championships a few weekends ago when he shot 300 - it was about 5 or 6 lanes on his knees with his shirt over his head. It was funny to watch, but I don't think anyone was offended by it. I certainly wasn't, and I was up to bowl on the pair he slid across.

And Jodee - I don't think you're qualified to post about lane riding... I haven't ever seen you ride a lane yet! ;)

And lastly - "the Reggae" is a top bloke who always encourages younger bowlers such as myself. What he is addressing in this topic is about the disrespect when being asked to stop hand clapping, etc, that's all.

hahahaha timmeeee i dont lane ride well not yet anyway ;) maybe when the 300 comes ill do what george did... lol or at least try! :p (well the riding 5 lanes bit)

Postman_Pete said:
Three phone calls later and I finally found someone I knew who was in the tourney. The other guy was Nick Politas (?), not sure how it's spelt. Apparently he's been kicked out of Kedron and has a history of getting his own way. Whoever Reggae is.........you sound like a bit of a clown too! How can you speak for all the adults bowling in the tourney - if you've been around for more than a few years and haven't heard clapping you must be deaf. Foot skitching is bloody annoying but hand clapping is part of the sport. Any apologies should be coming from this Politas guy. And where was the lane rider? As for Spanner, your nuts are loose pal....if you're the same Peter Martin from last years Adult De Veer team - you can't abuse anyone for poor behaviour!!!! As juniors in Qld in the 90's, we were encouraged to clap, sing chants and make noise - even by Mrs Weir (luv ya Nell). Has anyone thought about the blue card thing - if an adult offers violence to a junior, do they have to have a blue card? Was Tony Hamilton or Morty Douglas bowling in this tournament? I can't imagine they wouldn't lane ride or shout. Queensland bowling needs a big injection of enthusiasm and it aint gonna come from wankers like Reggae or Spanner. I think that there's some personal blood letting going on in this thread. Get back to the original post...........did this politas guy offer violence , for whatever reason........if he did, he deserves to be carded. If he's a sponsor, he should pull his head in! See you all at Sharp................I'll be the one clapping and riding my 1 lane (as per the rules[/B]).

Too True Too true, i sub in a league on wednesday nights and The likes of tony hamilton bowl in it. Dwambo and his team are always making noise it is so funny and i never hear Mrs Flower complaining about them making noise.The Atmosphere of people making noise and getting gee-d up is just awesome. And Tony always has something to say or yell out. You get used to it.

The 9-pin wonderboy said:
What about the lane ride George Frilingos did at QS state championships a few weekends ago when he shot 300 - it was about 5 or 6 lanes on his knees with his shirt over his head. It was funny to watch, but I don't think anyone was offended by it. I certainly wasn't, and I was up to bowl on the pair he slid across.

There is a big difference to bowling a 300 and bowling a turkey. Everyone had pretty much stopped to watch the last ball George bowled, so, you're right, I don't think anyone was upset.

bitchy lil brunette said:
You Also Said this.

Isn't this called giving way? and then it is your own fault if you are on the lane beside phillip and he decides he is gonna clap his hands because you should have waited for him.

Unfortunately, It wasn't the lane beside Phillip that had the problem. Would you have everyone in the centre sit down and watch him and then continue when he has finished?

The 9-pin wonderboy said:
One of the people involved asked me if it was banned in the rules, and my response was no, because it's not banned in the rules. Yes, respect should be shown to other bowlers, but I think people have to keep in mind at times that we are young and make mistakes.

Rule 201/9 states ..

"Good Bowling requires concentration. When players are ready to bowl, give them the courtesy of making their shot without any interference, as you will want the same courtesy when it is your turn to bowl."

You could also, in this case, look under Infractions ... rule 8. Failure to follow Tournament/League Officials Directives.

I don't write them ... I just read them.

The Spanner said:
Unfortunately, It wasn't the lane beside Phillip that had the problem. Would you have everyone in the centre sit down and watch him and then continue when he has finished?

well if they were far away, they should have blocked it out! and like Tim said, we are only human we make mistakes!

For those of you who don't know me, my name is Les Ferguson and I was Phillips doubles partner.

Lets look at the facts before hanging anyone out to dry!

1. Phillip and I were on lanes 1 & 2 against a vacancy and bowling a pretty good block. We were clapping, high fiving and scoring pretty well.

2. There was a lot of foot skitching, clapping, whistling and cheering going on in the whole centre.

3. Ronnie Conquest asked Phil to tone it down (I don't know exactly what was said).

4. Next time after I bowled I saw Mick P making hand gestures at Phillip and then walk away. Neither Phil nor I were amused but that's where it ended.

5. I asked for the Tournament Director to come down but she was too busy counting money.

6. I spoke to the Centre Manager but he isn't a bowler and couldn't help.

7. I spoke to the Tournament Director about 10 minutes later and told her I wanted to make a complaint against Mick P., if he had a complaint he should've gone through the Tournament Director.

8. As far as I am concerned, it's now up to Aspley if they want to take any action.

There was no fight, just a case of an adult trying to impose his version of mortuary bowling on someone else.

For those of you who are PRO or ANTI noise, step back and smell the flowers - consider both sides and meet in the middle!

By the way, for all you youngsters out there, we made a lot more noise in the 60's and 70's than you do these days and we didn't have huge sound systems blaring in the background!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom