Bad Sportsmanship - Is it holding the sport back?

Tiger

Just wondering about your thoughts on bad sportsmanship in Bowling?
Is it one reason why people toss the game in?
Last night (Wednesday Night) I was bowling in league at Moonah and had a very good night - well for the first two games anyway.
I threw a 17-bagger at my opponent (finished with a 7-bagger in the first game for 243 and opened with first 10-in-a-row in the second game for a 288)
My opponent then refused to speak to me after the second game and preced to throw her last five shots if that game in the gutter to finish with 84.
When I went to shake hands with her after blowing the perfect game she got rather sh*tty and told me to p*ss off, packed her bowling bags and walked out in the middle of the match and went and sat in the car.
When I tried to explain to her that it was me versus the pins and not me versus her so to speak - she got in a big huff and walked off.
I was very disappointed at that attitude really, I know we all feel like doing that sometimes but you don't do it.

I don't so much think that its bad sportmanship that makes people not bowl anymore but it doest help the game thats for sure
But you get that in all types of sports so i don't see why bowling should be any differetn
Its shouldnt happen but it all comes back to the way these people are taught these dyas, the concept of sport as such is totallyu foriegn to them and they carry in rediculous ways if they can't get there own way :roll:
A lot of the lower average bowlers are guilty of it.........as some of the top players can be at times..........but if its stamped out in the beginning when they first strat bowling then they might not do it....trouble is nobody relly teaches them these days.
But then thats probably why many of them dont play leagues or anything because they expect to be instant chapions at bowling and when they ask the better players how long it took them to be as good as they are........they get pissed off with it and go and play something else......usually carrying on the same way at there new sport.
Its good that you tried to explain to your opponenet that you wern't trying to put her down by bowling huge scores at her, just trying to bowl your best, sounds to me as if the sport is better off without losers like that.
It wouldnt be the first time nor would it be the last time this stuff happens

bad sportmanship is an issue in evetry sport BUT does it HAVE to be an issue in bowling??????? bad sportmanship isnt jsut towards the players but to the spectators... the ppl that watch the game get their opinion of our game through what they see.. and if they see ppl bad mouthing each other or ppl big noteing them self they think oh what a bad game... ppl with bad sportsmanship really need to take a look at them self if they want our sport to be loved and expand..!!

Walking out in the middle of the league and not returning should be an offence punishable by expulsion from that league. We all get our butts kicked at one point in time, its what gives us the drive to improve our game. If she cant handle losing then she should look at another sport cause its not possible to win every time in bowling.

What was your series in the end?

Anyways nice bowling and pity you had to bowl against a poor treausure.

I have never felt like walking out - although I've seen a few that have. But, I believe that not only did she do a disservice to herself :oops: - but she also let her team down :x . As a member of a team the others should be looking elsewhere for a player that plays the game and does not let the game play her.

Add's abit of spice if you ask me :p

I dont think it plays a big part in the sport, the new bowlers have problems feeling intimidated and well out of their league when they first start, quite alot of people turned away from it because they didnt feel comfortible. It is getting better but i think where this sport would be crippled is with new bowlers joining the sport for the first time. Established players wont really give a toss about bad sportsmanship, they will usually just ignore it and the bowler. I do think that like alot of sports there needs to be some headway, you cant be on your best behaviour all the time, sometimes you get pissed when you get hammered by another bowler. I dont think it warrants a walk out, nor an obscenity, but if a bowler just wants to pack up and leave i dont think it is a problem. It was just league really, i spose it could have been different if it was a big tournament. In the end, if it offends you, have a chat to your president, thats what they are there for.

I find it annoying when you beat someone and they get pissed off infront of you, not directly at you but around you letting you know they are pissed.

For some people it may add a little spice to there victory but i would rather my opponent shake my hand like a real man.

But telling you to p1ss off is just down right rude. If someone did that to me i would tell them where to go stick it!!!

Not your fault you kicked her arse.

Bad Sportsmanship

My son was 15 when he had a 300 bowled against him in the NOrth Queensland Intercity Shield and he certainly didnt spit his dummy - his first quote after this was "I'm going to do that to someone else one day". In 1998 at the age of 17 he bowled his first 300 in Junior League and I have never seen anyone happier that he had achieved his goal. Two weeks later he bowled a 299 during League and there was not a soul in the bowl that was not happy for him even his opponent.
Just goes to show that there are good sports in tenpin bowling and the few that aren't should hang their heads in shame

Personally I love these sort of people.

You usually find they have the mental game of a pea, and if you can throw a lucky strike or a string of strikes then they are mentally gooooone for the rest of the tournament or league and gives you the chance to really sink the boot in.

A good case in point is league last night, I opened up with a 246,233 so the idiot I was playing gets the shits and says (I quote) "I'm not going to win a F#@king point tonight". At which point he starts bowling finger spiners and bowls absolute garbage
(and didn't win a point). He then stormed out of the bowl without saying a word.

These people don't realise that the only people they are affecting are themselves, as they look like complete morons and everyone is having a good laugh at them.

I am far from the greatest bowler in the world, but the two words that are not in my vocabulary are Give Up. Bowling is the sort of sport that anything can happen and just when you thought you were out of it you can be right back in it. Until that fat lady is in full voice the game ain't over.

So if you are one of these people that gets a bad break and feel like giving up because the whole world is against you (or because you are a half witted moron), just think to yourself that you could be playing me or someone like me and we will be praying that you do give up so that we can give the sort of kicking that you deserve.

The Funky One.

Well what can I say.

Having been in this situation where my opponent has spat the dummy is propably the greatest motivation for me. I enjoy putting the sord to them all. (If I can ?)

I believe this is most damaging for the sport especially when we have a spectators and or Juniors present at the time.

Just a question or two. Was the five gutter balls in a TBA HANDICAPED LEAGUE ? If it was don't we have a Code of Conduct we have to play by.

Perhaps 30 pin per frame when deliberate gutter balls are thrown and no points can be won.

We should all remember this is a SPORT and I play because I enjoy it and the good friends I have made from people involved with it. So I am still going have fun no matter what level I compete at.

Ricky

That would be that denise women wouldn't it matt and i must say i have had the same thing happen to me when Paul Oakley walked out on me when i was kicking his ass and quite frankly it is poor sportsmanship by anyone that cant handle getting beaten since league is supposed to be fun and enjoyable instead of playing for sheep stations . You just have to take what your given and what i do is support the player i am playing against and try to enjoy the game and if i win or lose,,,,,,so be it so we should address the issue of walking out because things aren't going the bowlers way and maybe a suspension should be in order for offenders,,,,what do you think choad man :p :?: :?: :?: :twisted:

I think you just have to ignore this sort of behaviour to a point . I have gotten quite angry with myself but never the other team/players and as for being told to piss off If this was not a bit of a joke from a friend and was from a male bowler I think that I would invite them out to the carpark for a bit of a RESURFACE in the hope that they would have a better reaction next time they bowled. :p

THATS THE WAY MARK V,,,,A BIT OF ROCKIN WRESTLING BOWLING,,,if bowlers knew what would happen in the carpark if they behaved terribly ,i don't think people would do it in the first place so that would have to be the call of the year so far. SHUT UP OR I WILL RESURFACE YOU IN THE CARPARK,HEHEHEHEHEHEHE :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

I think there's a few people that wouldn't mind resurfacing this woman....LOL :lol:
Yeah, to Andrew Hill I shot a crappy last game of 181, started strongly but opened the 7th, 8th & 10th frames for a 712.
Still working on that slow arcing shot like I had going last year - I'm getting there.
I noticed that that person wasn't there the other night, but her team was so far down the ladder it didn't matter.
Like I say though, If she wants to quit so be it, I'll just keep rollin' on every year - another one I've retired out of the game :wink:
I think that's now 5 I've retired :?

I can only say that i agree with the comments that this should not be tollerated. However myself and i am pretty sure that all of us have gotten the sh*ts with another bowler beating us. I have allways been good enough to say well done and shake their hand. I know of peope that have started roll offs and because they have had a bad day they pull out. This is the ultimate pi*s off for me because it shows the lack of ticker these scumbags have. Stick it out like it has been said the game is not over untill the fat lady sings. The only people that get hurt by these wa**ers is themselfs. They have no credabilty in the community inside or outside of bowling. They will hopefully do us and themselfs a favour by leaving the sport there is no room here for them. If someone is good enough to shoot a big game at you have the balls to walk up shake their hand and congratulate them. :x :x :x

Back
Top Bottom