Australia's team @ Men's World Championships

I was asked to make a suggestion regards junior / youth pathways last year and - without making this a good, bad and ugly discussion - I responded.

National Junior Squad
Junior Sydney Cup has 100 + juniors from around Australia competing on challenging format: 8 games fresh oil, next day 8 games trashed oil, 15 games matchplay for final day.

Statistics from past two years shows that nearly all nominees and selections for asian schools, asian youth and world youth made finals of the JSC.

Bowlers nominate for selection National Junior Squad (NJS) - fee used to support bowler analysis and training sessions. Top ten boy and girl from JSC + up to another 5 boy and girl selections by National Coach.

This gives the Nat coaches a view of the bowlers: talent, ability to read lane changes, equipment knowledge, fitness, behaviour under tournament conditions etc
And - all bowlers opportunity to perform, TBA the opportunity to educate parent or carer regards expectations, nomination processes for national teams, defined pathways etc.

This as management suggestion only
Squad Training: day after JSC record on-lane assessment.
Use information to develop plan for each bowler, link with personal coach and state team coaches or state junior youth training program.

Have cost effective training sessions - at youth ranked tournaments or state events - where bowlers attending already. Track our junior talent and ensure appropriate sport education. Inform parents.

This will pick up younger talent as well as older juniors as they mature at different ages - both physical and psychological.

Enough
Leanne

it doesn't really matter you are either good enough or you are not, all bowlers know that most of the times international conditions are much more demanding so all bowlers aspiring to represent should practice for these conditions
historically women have faired better because they go up the boards more men like to rip the ball more (good for tournaments more revs more strikes) they need to put more forward revs then they will become more competitive

After reading all the posts on this thread. There are some posts from some real IDIOTS.

Sorry wayne, your's dont make the top 20 list...

yours does!

Sorry, but it doesnt.

So many people have jumped on to this thread, purely because it was started by Wayne Chester and worded probably a bit poorly. Remember that Wayne has seen and done more in this sport than any of the rest of us and whether you agree with him or not, there is not much about the sport that he does not know. His tendency to say what he thinks in a less than politically correct way puts some people offside.

Some of the posts flaming Wayne are over the top and have not been thought through. I understand the patriotism shown by many of the posters BUT it must be obvious to most posters (and I would bet the majority of the team) that it was not the best Australian team we could have had representing us. NO Belmo, Frilingos, Walsh, Bottomley etc. Surely Wayne was stating the obvious.

I have no doubt that the team that went away gave every effort to do the absolute best they could and they are to be commended on that effort. The fact remains though that our position in the world of tenpin bowling is now somewhat lower than it was before the event and that the squad preparation MUST CHANGE so the team we do send away has the best possible chance of success.

All I can say is before you start throwing things out there you all should go back to the men's worlds of 2008 and see how many medals the super team won, I could not find any or maybe my old eyes are just tired of reading all this bull that is out there.

Good reply Shayne...Short, sharp & to the point...Good to see you took some of your own advice this time. "Type it out, look at it and then think. Don't just post without thinking."

Pity you did'nt put the same effort into the other posts.

This is embarassing.
Why did we even bother to send a team, if we weren't going to send our best bowlers?

To me the "Why did we even bother to send a team, if we weren't going to send our best bowlers?" phrase is aimed at the selection criteria that made our top bowlers decide that they were unavailable.

Dont see anything there that is attacking the bowlers.

Good reply Shayne...Short, sharp & to the point...Good to see you took some of your own advice this time. "Type it out, look at it and then think. Don't just post without thinking."

Pity you did'nt put the same effort into the other posts.

To me the "Why did we even bother to send a team, if we weren't going to send our best bowlers?" phrase is aimed at the selection criteria that made our top bowlers decide that they were unavailable.

Dont see anything there that is attacking the bowlers.

I did and so did a lot of other people. You should try reading things with both eyes open.

If the original post was not meant to be offensive to the current Australian team, it should have been worded better. Something along the lines of..............

It seems that boys in Germany are having a tough time. I don't think there has been enough preparation for the team. I feel that TBA needs to improve their policy for national team selection and training. We need to be able to give our teams the best chance of performing at their best while away representing Australia. I have some thoughts on what we can do, and they are.................... Maybe?

If we are not going to send our best way bother sending a team, simple says that the guys over there are not good enough to represent Australia and that their trip was a waste of time. This is an attack on who went away!

And just so you know. I'm disappointed with the teams results too. But I don't blame their ability, they are every bit as talented as the so called super stars, most of them just aren't as old and haven't had a chance to establish their own identity yet. I blame the lack of preparation and funding by TBA. I could be wrong, but I'm sure that the bowlers from QLD never had a practice session with the national coach.

ho f*****g ray.

Instead of attacking everybody else that posts on here. Everybody is whinning about the lack of preparation and funding and the selection criteria. What are they doing to change it except pissing and moaning on TB about people stating the obvious.

As we all know TBA dont venture onto TB to often so they need to do a little more than whinge on here.

All I can say is before you start throwing things out there you all should go back to the men's worlds of 2008 and see how many medals the super team won, I could not find any or maybe my old eyes are just tired of reading all this bull that is out there.

I am not sure who you are or where you are from
I can see you are a new member to Total Bowling
so welcome to the forum

Looking at your post I note it is short but In so doing
It is not clear exactly what you are saying or what your point is

Care to elaborate a little ?

Cheers
Geoff

ho f*****g ray.

Instead of attacking everybody else that posts on here. Everybody is whinning about the lack of preparation and funding and the selection criteria. What are they doing to change it except pissing and moaning on TB about people stating the obvious.

As we all know TBA dont venture onto TB to often so they need to do a little more than whinge on here.

There are people from the TBA on this site quite regularly

The problem is they, on the TBA Board nationally, are not
in a position to comment on this site, as such !!

They do watch and listen and take info to Cara for discussion,
I know this to be true

Some of the people on this site will whinge and complain
and make claims of this, that and the other thing, no matter
what is done.

Again I say to you all, If you have genuine concerns and
or ideas on how to improve things, that is in the interest
of the sport not individuals, then send someone on the
board an email or ring the TBA office. They will be glad to
listen and talk to you.

We have limitations currently due to funding issues
and membership issues. I know that these issues are
in part the fault of the TBA functionality of recent years
but from what i see there is some progress in the right direction

The TBA can always do with help from people to be involved
on Committees and boards to make a difference

The Board also has a new member as the Bowlers Representative
Contact him and ask him to take your concerns directly to the board

Cheers
Geoff

There are people from the TBA on this site quite regularly

The problem is they, on the TBA Board nationally, are not
in a position to comment on this site, as such !!

Not in a position or not allowed to post..?

They do watch and listen and take info to Cara for discussion,
I know this to be true

Shouldn't Cara be reading TB herself, after all it is the TBA member bowlers who post on here.

Some of the people on this site will whinge and complain
and make claims of this, that and the other thing, no matter
what is done.

Doesn't that say how much I care about our sport!

Again I say to you all, If you have genuine concerns and
or ideas on how to improve things, that is in the interest
of the sport not individuals, then send someone on the
board an email or ring the TBA office. They will be glad to
listen and talk to you.

The last time I spoke with someone in the TBA office it was with our ex-CEO Gillian, and she told me to mind my own business, that it wasn't my job to look out for the bowlers rights, nor was it the TBA's responsibility to do so.

We have limitations currently due to funding issues
and membership issues. I know that these issues are
in part the fault of the TBA functionality of recent years
but from what i see there is some progress in the right direction

The TBA can always do with help from people to be involved
on Committees and boards to make a difference

I'd cherish the opportunity to help...will someone from the TBA please contact me about this.

The Board also has a new member as the Bowlers Representative
Contact him and ask him to take your concerns directly to the board

Cheers
Geoff

I've answered some of your concerns Geoff...

No one from TBA is going to contact you Mr Chester. Pick up the phone and ring them and put forward your ideas. Obviously you have some great ideas on what can be done to improve the current situation, so please do not sit there on your hands doing nothing about it.

I don't have any idea how to fix the problems.

My 2 cents worth. Like many lovers of the game sitting back reading these posts a lot of mixed messages are sent ,as a nobody bowler from a long time ago i don't think anyone who hasn't bowled on these very very tough patterns should make any comments, you see our guys over there have either won or come very close to winning in OZ at some stage or another that makes them some of our best at present maybe not theee best but up there .I have bowled in several countries over the years and i got to say we get it pretty easy here as far as condions go [please don't jump down my throat i know some TDs try laying testing patterns but not many] so maybe we should learn from this and go foward not back .As i said these guys are all great bowlers at [ home ] .I think knowledge is where we should start,Training Squads a great idea but it will take quite some time maybe a bit more theory involved not just mindlessly throwing games ,anyway thats my 2 cents

After reading all the posts on this thread. There are some posts from some real IDIOTS.

Sorry wayne, your's dont make the top 20 list...

Couldn't agree more.

Some of these people have even made themselves self-appointed spokesperson for the Australian team.

Wchester put up another thread about he went bowling for the first time in 2 years a few days ago after watching the bowling all week.

Well I watched it to, but after reading all of this crap I don't feel like like bowling at all. Why bother. You guys just don't care about anyone elses opinion but your own narrow minded selfs.

Congratulations guys, you've driven another person out of the game.

As a suggestion, maybe it's time to look towards Asia as a means of improving our overall standing and giving our "elite" bowlers a chance to improve their knowledge & experience of playing against quality opposition on more difficult conditions in cut throat tournaments.

After bowling at the Singapore Open this year it was a real eye opener to a) bowl on a tough condition & b) see the number of quality bowlers competing.

IMO if bowling in Aust is to get to the next level in terms of being able to compete on a world stage, Asia is the zone we have to try to tap into, purely because the cost and travel required is substantially less then either the US or Europe but the competition is still a huge step up from what we get here. Maybe the TBA could look at picking a squad for events like the World Champs 12-18 months out from the event and sending them to a number of events in Asia that would help in their preparation (of course how that is funded becomes a problem).

Aust also now has a tournament with a prize fund that can attract top overseas players from not only Asia but all over the world and the TBA need to use that to try and get more quality players over here to compete. Maybe even try to get the Aust Masters on the ABF tour? Which could in turn create more publicity for the sport which may help to attract more sponsors.

The problem with tenpin bowling is it is a 2nd tier sport (maybe even 3rd:rolleyes:) in this country and as a consequence the bowlers that strive to become elite and able to compete on a world stage have to wear a lot of the funding costs themselves. This of course affects how many times & where they can compete each year, how much time they can dedicate to practice and improving their game as well as a whole host of other little issues.
We can whinge about this all we want but it is a fact of life for aspiring elite level bowlers in this country and until they make it overseas like a Belmo or dominate on the local scene like George a lot of doors remain closed due to financial restraints.
This scenario is no different to hundreds of other athletes from other non-main stream sports (and even some main-stream sports) that struggle to fund themselves each season.

I've answered some of your concerns Geoff...

Wayne

These are not answers to my concerns

These are issues raised for people to consider and or be made aware of

The Bowlers Representative Job function was advertised , you could have applied for that job

There are plenty of committee positions available around the place

Cara wont pick up the phone and ring every Bowler that has a whinge Wayne If you have something to offer pick up the phone and do your best

In terms of Gillian, Dont start me on that. If you had heard the conversation I had with Gillian you would understand what I think of that situation.

Your other statements are not worth responding to again !!!!

can someone please point me in the right direction, some of us, i.e me not computer smart..
Where r u the results for the world chamionships?

It's good to some fire in this post, means people still love bowling,

But after this forum slows down,

What process are place, Where are these suggests go, some are really good and others need to be discussed and others just need to be deleted......

Seems to be that if there isn't group already of experience bowlers with knowledge and history of the game, and with some business savy people, need to help get Bowling Australia on track.... There alot of good people doing good work... E.g Jason Belmonte... how many unpaid hours does he do in media... My question/statement would he ever get thanked for what he does ?? what fine example.... That's the obvious one...

There alot of variety of people on this forum.. Some here for personal gain? not sure, but alot want to see bowling take off.... What they need is people willing to do the hard yards.... Without personal gain out of it.... pretty hard to do that in today's world....

Is there any Committe backed by the bowler's ( mixed with your most experienced bowlers and the elite, with some business savy,) to Come up with these issues and solve and come up with new idea's , alot of thread's on this total bowling and some good really idea's and some bad ones... Do they ever go anywhere?????? Talk to the bowlers to see what they want!!

Only reasonable new to this bowling, enjoy it, Heaps of great people willing to help,
What other sport can you get the national coach to coach you, For very little cost, willing to answer any Question about the Game!! And a far distance from his house!!

Great to see that people still love the sport!!! But leave the personal attacks where their belong, Let the scores on the lanes do the back stabbing!!!

Won't happen over night but it will happen, With the right systems in place with the right people with experience, I would love to see what i have been told what bowling use to be in the 80's/90's

Back
Top Bottom