Australia's team @ Men's World Championships

wchester

Bowling Tragic
This is embarassing.
Why did we even bother to send a team, if we weren't going to send our best bowlers?

This is embarassing.
Why did we even bother to send a team, if we weren't going to send our best bowlers?

It's catch 22 Wayne...They put wally world patterns down at every event instead of challenging ones (Melbourne Cup) then of course no matter what team they send, they aren't going to be prepared for what is a head of them...

I know this Team may not be the best we could send but at least they are giving it there all...

They keep laying patterns like they do and in a few World's Time the Australian results will end up looking like the Bahamas...

Like i said catch 22 because harder patterns = less entries...

Keep fighting guys, maybe something will click in the Teams...

What a disgraceful lack of respect for 6 people who have spent a fortune, and are busting there arse on a tough condition for them. Do not bag the bowlers but the system that has allowed some of the potential worlds competetive bowlers to walk away from representing Australia. The six over there are doing a better job than people who sit at home and rubbish the efforts that will see them better than half the bowling countries in the event. I hope they visit the ridiculing person on their return and offer some chosen words on how to assist the game not punish those trying there arse off. I can't imagine the pressure bowling on the world stage. i tip my hat to the six great and wonderful competitors giving there all for us.
Don Lindsay

I have to agree with you Don these six guys have put their heart and soul into representing their country. They rolled off for this privelige to represent they had a hard condition to bowl on for Australian conditions but u have to think all those people out there knocking them where were u when the chance to represent was you haven't put your hand up to even try to represent so don't knock them. Iam very proud of each and everyone of them and on such a hugh stage they are performing to the best of their abilities on conditions that they have not encountered. They are awayfrom family friends
and support trying to cope with a totally different climate and condition praise them unless u think u can do better and if u do put your hand up next time and then we can all see just how good you are

Here Here Don i was just talking to Ann Brendans mum and like me she wasn't impressed i was at the roll offs and it was no easy walk in the park. The guys who made the team deserve to be there, but they don't need to here that they are embarassing by they knockers in this sport. No wonder some don't bother to be involved at all and just walk away.
Keep going guys.
Aussie Aussie Aussie.
Cindy Donnelly.

What a disgraceful lack of respect for 6 people who have spent a fortune, and are busting there arse on a tough condition for them. Do not bag the bowlers but the system that has allowed some of the potential worlds competetive bowlers to walk away from representing Australia.

I'm not disrepecting the bowlers...it's the system that's broken. This is the World Championships, not Tuesday night league.
Australia should be contending for medals, but this isn't the team to do it.

The rest of the world is asking...where is Belmo, where is Frilingos etc etc.
I honestly believe we've lost a little respect within the worldwide bowling community this week.

Our bowlers should not be paying their own way. I say raise the necessary funds through membership fees and/or gov't funding.

I accept that you may not have openly wanted to rubbish the bowlers, however we all would love to see Belmo, George, Carl, Brando over ther but the big word is choice. If we fix the system i wonder how many of these guys would be there. most i think, however we took our best who qualified and there are no events in any sport where they work with only the worlds top few competitors there. We have a relatively young team which will hopefully continue within the sport, and if the system can realise that the normal person is not wealthy, and has a family mortgage obligation we may fund or fundraise through big corporate like coke, mccains, schweppes, mars then we can send teams away with a minimal contribution. Corporate Australia will not give, but will always support. Just to finish i personally know three of the bowlers very well and they are all known for heart, spirit and fight. beware the sleeping giant in the teams
Don

Most of the teams that are competing for medals are professionals or fully goverment funded to bowl. We have six very good individuals forking out lots of money on an almost flat pattern.

I have watched hours on the live stream could we be doing better? Sure with funding, coaching.

How many full time bowlers do we have? Im sure we dont have 6.

Good luck to our six rep's

Chris Bateup

Awesome post Wayne. Heres a thing you can try........

Type it out, look at it and then think. Don't just post without thinking. The best 6 guys availible are over there doing it.

And what are you doing Wayne to help to find this funding.

What a disgraceful lack of respect for 6 people who have spent a fortune, and are busting there arse on a tough condition for them. Do not bag the bowlers but the system that has allowed some of the potential worlds competetive bowlers to walk away from representing Australia. The six over there are doing a better job than people who sit at home and rubbish the efforts that will see them better than half the bowling countries in the event. I hope they visit the ridiculing person on their return and offer some chosen words on how to assist the game not punish those trying there arse off. I can't imagine the pressure bowling on the world stage. i tip my hat to the six great and wonderful competitors giving there all for us.
Don Lindsay

Absolutely could not agree more Don. It is really easy to observe through a computer screen. A little bit different than releasing the ball in Germany!!!

Grant

I'm not disrepecting the bowlers...it's the system that's broken. This is the World Championships, not Tuesday night league.
Australia should be contending for medals, but this isn't the team to do it.

The rest of the world is asking...where is Belmo, where is Frilingos etc etc.
I honestly believe we've lost a little respect within the worldwide bowling community this week.

Our bowlers should not be paying their own way. I say raise the necessary funds through membership fees and/or gov't funding.

Epic attempt at a back pedal.

How is "this is embarrassing" not disrespecting the bowlers who are representing Australia?

Don Lindsay

Could be the best first post in forum history... +1

No back pedalling here...The combined performance has indeed been embararring. Shouldn't Australia be expected to garner a medal or two, as past history shows, or have we given up hope altogether?

Let's lay it all out on the table..One of the reasons, and most likely the main reason why our 'best' bowlers have chosen to stay home and not bowl for Australia in Germany is that they didn't feel that the bowler should be forced to pay for the privilege, while our coach gets a free ride.

The six bowlers who are representing Australia are not the six best bowlers in Australia. Hell, with one or two exceptions, they're not even among the top twenty Australian bowlers as far as ranking points go...We're not the Bahamas just yet, but we're heading down that path.

Wayne,

As the old saying goes "It is better to say nothing and be thought an idiot, than to open your mouth and remove all doubt"

You are a deadset goose. Do you actually stop and think before you throw out your rhetorical diahorrea on Totalbowling??

Embarrassing is an opiniated wind bag (i.e. you) who tries to big note himself by denigrating the efforts of the 6 guys who busted their butts just for the chance to represent their country against the best in the world.

Representing your country is the pinnacle of our game (at a non professional level) and one that I still hold out hope of achieving. For you to come on here and belittle these guys (and in the process their family and friends) makes you nothing more than a complete tool.

You are a bitter old dinosaur, who should crawl back under his rock and leave the humans to go about their business - FOOL!!!!!!:mad:

Perhaps you lot should think yourselves. I am the last person to agree with Wayne and I am sure he is even going to find this surprising.

Maybe Wayne says things the wrong way. Maybe he says things a bit less diplomatically than most. Have a look at the point he is trying to make for a change and stop *****ing just because someone says something you don't like.

Yes we have 6 great bowlers over there competing and good luck to them. I sincerely wish them all the best.

The point he is trying to make in his own way is our system does not support top end bowling. It does not support the people who spend the time and make the effort to participate in things like this. It's no wonder some of our bowlers choose not to represent the country when they have to go through all this bull**** to get in the team.

We lay down ditches for our bowlers and then when they do go away they encounter patterns that they have had little if any experience on. Sure they are competitive but with a bit more effort and support they could be even better and we could be back up the top end of the scene where we belong.

I have said it before and i will say it again. Part of the issue with bowling in this country is the narrow minded attitudes of many of our so-called better bowlers who do nothing but complain when someone tries to fix something.

There is no doubt that the six bowlers currently busting a gut in Germany have the talent and ability to compete at that level. What they don't have is the support infrastructure of many of the countries competing in the tournament. Give equal talent and ability, the countries that spend the most time and money preparing their athletes for the tournament will come out on top.
We now have a paid national coach, and a very good one, who is not by any measure being paid what he is worth to many other countries who would love to have his services. There is no way that Chris could have been expected to pay his own way to Germany when it is part of his job at TBA, and to suggest otherwise is ludicrous.
Currently, our reps have to fund themselves. That is a fact of life, accept it and move on. If that changes in the future, great. Until then, those who are passionate enough to put their hands in their own pockets in order to represent OUR COUNTRY - you and me - deserve our respect and thanks.
Good luck with the rest of the tournament guys, and thank you for being there.

Well said Robbie. Any given day these guys can do it. After all wasn't there a roll off involved to get there?

Interesting comments people.

I am sure these 6 guys are trying just as hard as they can and we all
should be proud of them , they are our Australian Team

It will be interesting to see what these 6 bowlers say on their return home

My guess is they will be keen to encourage change, In terms of oil patterns
that reflect the very real competition they have just faced, something that is
way overdue in this Country and will help prepare people and reflect the
true ability of Bowlers

I doubt they will have the dim veiw of our National Coach that some others have
shown on this site

Back
Top Bottom