8 pins start for women commencing in 2013

GeorgeF

Hypercell = Hyperhook!
Great to see TBA trailing this concept which has already been in place in Europe for over 5 years. Next year we will see 4 Nationally ranked tournaments which will incorporate this, hopefully it just as much a success as it has been in Europe

I am in 2 minds about this. On one hand it will get more female bowlers in Nationally Ranked Tournaments which is of course is a great thing and will increase the amount of entries etc, but I also think this is a bit unfair for the men. To give the ladies an 8 pin advantage is to say they have a disadvantage. Which in this sport I don't agree is the case. The female bowlers at the elite level have the exact same capabilities as the males.

Yes, I'm torn two ways on this. When Cara was bowling ( and so were you, George ) how would you have felt about giving her a start?

Just went and had a quick look at TBA records. Cara, among other things won the Australian Open in 2001, 2002 ,and 2003. 8 pin start ??

Can someone clarify for me.

8 pins where? During qualifying? Each game or block ?

What's the story.

From TBA:

However the one significant change to the program is the introduction of 8 pins handicap per game for women in 4 open ranked events. Honeychurch further commented “With a limited number of women’s only tournaments, TBA will trial this system in 2013 and assess its success going forward. It is expected that the addition of the handicap (which has been operating successfully on the European Bowling Tour for many years) will encourage more women to participate in open events. This will not only boost participation numbers for these tournaments but also provide additional tournament experience for the elite women bowlers in Australia”.

It should be noted that this only applies to ranked events where there is no separate women’s event run in conjunction. Therefore tournaments where the handicap will apply include the Joondalup Cup, Kegel Queensland Open, Barrier Reef Open and Hobart Cup.

The 8 pins per game runs throughout the entire tournament. Qualifying, Sprint, Matchplay, i guess even stepladder. Europe uses this system and it works fantastically, however, their tournament are mostly (if not all) re entry style events. It will certainly be a challenge for some to give the women this head start, on the other hand, its been put in place for next year as a "trial" and then TBA will assess its success for the following years. I personally welcome the idea. Yes, it will be a challenge for the guys even at the top in this country to spot people like Gio and Putts 8 pins a game, but that to me would just strive to make me better myself to erase that head start.............

I say let tba trial it in 2013 and then maybe we bring in the rule that if a female is to win one of these events, they lose their 8 pins a game for 12 months. We use this system at our vic sports series and the females that do win, still come back every time and bowl

If it gets more entries into these events, great. I'd like to see it extended to all bowlers under a certain average cutoff too, maybe 175 or so? Or have a portion of the prizefund go to an 'under 180' division. Give some of the guys who are basically donating a chance to get something back.

The rankings in the tourneys mean nothing the way they are now. Not enough tourneys and they are only attended by the few regulars who can afford to bowl them. They are actually nothing short of a joke.

Anything that tries to get participation will only help.

RobbieB, I am a one of the people you speak of, I play to enjoy my ambition is to make a cut 1 day. The 8 Pins will not make me not bowl as I will still enjoy it, but let it be a trial cause the more people that enter a tournament the better.

The trialling of this is a good idea but if the National Body is serious about attracting more women to tournaments then they need to reconsider some of their tournament accreditations.
Why for instance is the Cairns Open approved to go up against the Queensland Ladies Classic?

The Ladies Classic certainly lost some NQ entries this year in what was clearly a preventable clash of events. Be interesting to see what happens in 2013..

I am in 2 minds about this. On one hand it will get more female bowlers in Nationally Ranked Tournaments which is of course is a great thing and will increase the amount of entries etc, but I also think this is a bit unfair for the men. To give the ladies an 8 pin advantage is to say they have a disadvantage. Which in this sport I don't agree is the case. The female bowlers at the elite level have the exact same capabilities as the males.

At present, unless the lane conditions are opened up a touch like say at AO or Melbourne Cup and the shot favours a line where the women predominantly like to play, ie outside 10 boards, I don't think the women will be on a totally level playing field even with the 8 pins, and without being sexist, pure human make up, promotes males to be significantly stronger, which does apply between the genders in bowling. 98% of women will find it hard to generate a shot that allow them to do anything other than bowl in and around their comfort zone. Example being, they don't have the power to stand deep and loft the capping and return the ball with correct angle and tilt to carry as was required at NSW Open.

My personal opinion is no problems, bring Australia into line with the rest of the world and hopefully boost some tournament numbers. Now to just not have any clashes in between major tournaments!

Better start training hard men with some of the elite women bowlers with an 8 pin start it's going to make it harder. good luck ladies and gentlemen

At present, unless the lane conditions are opened up a touch like say at AO or Melbourne Cup and the shot favours a line where the women predominantly like to play, ie outside 10 boards, I don't think the women will be on a totally level playing field even with the 8 pins, and without being sexist, pure human make up, promotes males to be significantly stronger, which does apply between the genders in bowling. 98% of women will find it hard to generate a shot that allow them to do anything other than bowl in and around their comfort zone. Example being, they don't have the power to stand deep and loft the capping and return the ball with correct angle and tilt to carry as was required at NSW Open.

My personal opinion is no problems, bring Australia into line with the rest of the world and hopefully boost some tournament numbers. Now to just not have any clashes in between major tournaments!

This^^^^^

Not being sexist, just stating facts. If you think physiological make up isn't all that important in bowling, then you'd probably think it about Golf too. How do those women compare to the blokes? As long as the women are on the same lanes as us, I'm all for it. Quite frankly, this should've happened years ago. Finally, we have caught up.

Cheers, Cow

There is both good & bad in this.
Good. Yes more females will likely bowl more.
Bad. Less men will bowl less.
IE: if there are a few females bowling in any said tournament
and they adv say 215+ in league. Most men who adv 210 & under
proberly won't bowl. As the females adv higher than they do & then
have to give them an extra 8 pins per game??
As most have already said bowling is more a mental game than physical.
Given the lane conditions it's an equal playing field.
Whether it is a hard flat pattern or easy house shot.
Yes the extra revs that a male can put on a ball "may" help.
But tell that to Walter-Ray or Norm Duke. Or even tell Kelly Kulick that.
I bowl against a few females that adv higher than me.
Give them 8 pins more in a tournament & I don't think I would bowl.

Back
Top Bottom