300's in Australia?

GeorgeF

Hypercell = Hyperhook!
I just had a look at the TBA website and TBA have kindly put on a new database in which they have listed all recognised 300's from 1963 to 2003. I appreciate that TBA have gone to alot of trouble to compile this list and already I can see some mistakes.

I'm not to worried that the list is not that accurate, it was bound to have some mistakes. What was interesting was how technology has dramatically influenced and changed our game.

In 1963 there was one lone 300 by the great legend Joe VELO. In 1973 there was none documented. In 1983 there was 9. In 1993 there was 49, now in 2003 there is already 74.

I wonder in another 10 years time we will be looking back and saying wow only 74 in 2003, in 2013 we have 232. :shock:

I really hope that day never comes...this is just my opinion...but I would rather have good difficult competition and conditions. Have lane conditions that really have to be mastered. In saying that I do not want to see BAD conditions, I would like to see CHALLENGING conditions. Hopefully this will help to balance out technology and advances in certain fields.

I don't want to see a day where 220 is a standard average in league for a lot of bowlers...a high average should be worked for.

Just my opinions.

Makes very interesting reading actually, seeing all the names of the past there, makes you realise just how many of the champions of the sport have given it the flick-pass in recent years.
Also some of the centres that have "shut up shop" in recent times is quite extraordinary.

I saw one name there that made me look twice - {A.Xenides - July 2000} :roll: :idea: Wasn't that the chick that used to turn the letters around on "Wheel of Fortune with John Burgess :(

I'm glad to see they are doing something about the traditions of the sport on thier site, if they need any help with the games from here, I can always do some digging and help out, may be up to others to do the same in each centre.
Real sports look upon thier tradition with pride, ours threw thier tradition away on the tip a few years ago, good to see it being gradually restored.

They'll have to bring in 5lb pins and restrict balls to 10lb to stop the continual rise in numbers of 300's. I remember when a 300 was the "holy grail" of bowling, well not any more. Maybe in today’s game a brace of 300’s come a bit closer. I take nothing away from those bowlers that have achieved their feat, but doubt that they would have done so 15 years ago. I hope I don’t upset anybody, but or sport is not the same.
Other examples are Brian Bridges won the WA Open and Steve Wimbridge won the Perth Cup, both on 200 averages. Today they would have missed the CUT by 20 pins a game.
I am sure that someone will say this is all a bit of bad blood on my part, and yes maybe it is, but the fact speak for themselves. The Card is no longer 200 but 220. Lets hope it never gets to 230.
Stax
Quote “I hope I don’t upset anybody, but or sport is not the same.” –what a crock of crap, I hope I do!!!

What a crock of ...................................

I cant resist but have to make some small comment here

Stax and other gents i hear ya and i know what ur all saying...........

HOWEVER:

I won the Perth Cup (202ave i believe is on the board) in the first 12months of Resin and have bowled 300 in each decade that i started bowling plus 1 lol

I think it would be great to see 300 - 300's by the year 2010????

Come on guys what are we griping about the technology of oil, balls, pins, lanes, machinery, bowlers knowledge, coaching, experience to more tournaments, experience with greater players??

Lets face it there were plenty of (so-called) lucky 300's prior to Resin so what are you all saying is that it's EASIER TO BOWL 300 NOW!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! so why havent there been more

How many games are bowled each year, league & tournament wise?

Bowling is certainly on an upsurge in the last 5 years so there must be as many games being bowled now as what there was 10 years ago, competivey that is, or is that inaccurate? please tell me

I hear one thing GUYS i do feel for the guys who didnt bowl in the Urethane days and combination of Wooden Lanes but i dont think to take away from someone to bowl 300 is right.

Over in Perth we have had, like elsewhere, a few people that were a SURPRISE, versus some that you would think deserve a 300, well maybe deserve isnt right.

I have a few close friends that have won national events, that havent yet bowled 300 BUT HEY who is more deserving than another, it's all in the lap of the gods

This all boils down to a debate that we have had going on here for over 2 years now, IS TECHNOLOGY GOOD or BAD??

The answer in my book (now) has to be good!!

Interested to hear others comment on this topic

While, yes the scoring has increased to a fair degree in recent years i think we have a long, long way to go, before we reach the rediculous scoring heights of the US.

Courtesy of www.bowltech.com I read an interesting article on Par Scoring in the US.
The United States had a staggering 42,000 300 games rolled last year and, most likely even more this year.
One centre alone in Toledo, Ohio recorded a whopping 188 300-games last year, and an even more amazing statistic - 67 800/3 series last year - IN ONE CENTRE :shock:

I don't know about other centres, but that centre has in one year, 177 more perfect games than mine has in 41 years, and 66 more 800/3 sets in a year than we've had in 41 years. :eek:

:roll: .............now to find some coin for a plane ticket :D

i agree with stax's on this our game has lost it's holt grail the 300 game. the first 300 game i saw bowled was by allison fisher at redcliffe back in the early 80's everyone stopped watched the 12th shot , it made the local paper and the whole centre talked about it for months.... move forward to last week at league a guy in our league bowled his first ever 300 there was a cheer from the guys he was bowling with and everyone else looked up and said there's another. now what's better for the sport 300's being something that is a huge event or just another everyday happening!!!!

i like technology but the lanes and balls have improved out of sight but the pins have remained the same wieght that they were for the past 15 or so years. maybe we get a set of the gold pins(4lb i think)they use on the pba and use them at the next super 6 event and lets see if that makes a difference to scoring.

scoops,
ask silvano what he thinks about reactive balls...........I have always said they acutally make some bowlers look good.
Give me my Manhattan Rubber on Lacque days, they were fun.

tony

Tony no-one was more anti Resin balls when they first hit in 1992 (Xcalibur & Purple Pro Rhino) it took me 6 months to come around and buy one,

It annoyed me that people with little to no hand all of a sudden started hooking the ball and carrying the 5 - 8 - 10 when before they would leave 4 pins up from pocket hits..lol

Thats how the 'Book of Shame" Started - everyone could all of a sudden hook and carry like never before so we wanted to keep a humurous record of those who left "FLAT SACKS" hehehehe :p

Yes ur right they do make some people look a little better, but so do some of the Drivers out there, give some of those Sunday Hackers (me included) an old Wooden driver and see how far it goes (still in the bushes just not as far)

You cant say that all the extra 300's have come around via the technology of Bowling balls, You all would have to agree it is a combination of all new advancements in technology, like i said earlier, Lanes, Oils, Balls, Coaching etc all must attribute to the increase.

The bowlers that played only with Rubber(HARD) (Black Diamonds etc in the 60/60's) on lacquer could say the same thing about the introduction of Urethane.. :shock:

Look i can see both sides to the arguement but like i said a previous post - do we all really want to stop advancement of technology and if the answer is yes then throw away ur cell phone, microwave, colour TV and hop back into ur Horse n Cart and travel 3 hours on a gravel road to ur local general store :p :p :p :p

Timmee said:
I really hope that day never comes...this is just my opinion...but I would rather have good difficult competition and conditions. Have lane conditions that really have to be mastered. In saying that I do not want to see BAD conditions, I would like to see CHALLENGING conditions. Hopefully this will help to balance out technology and advances in certain fields.

I don't want to see a day where 220 is a standard average in league for a lot of bowlers...a high average should be worked for.

Just my opinions.

I hope it never comes too, will make me look very ordinary heheh.

Where i bowl the best average is about 180 but where my brother played, 180 was closer to the minimum. I played there once and almost straight away i was bowling 200+ games. To me that isnt a challenge, the oil was just poured onto the lane and if i was roughly near my spot it was a strike. i would love a higher average (currently 179) but am happy anyway since i am close to the best on my lanes. 300 is a dream, maybe one day i will get there *sigh*

Back
Top Bottom