2 handed vs. 1 handed?

Would you guys still be able to win on dry lanes??? I think that'd be the only advantage one handed bowlers would have on you. ;)

I prefer them dry!

The weaker the ball i can use, the better i bowl.

Ask the Asian's what they think of my plastic ball :)

Belmo

At the end of the day, i just want people to compare a 2 handed not against other 2 handed bowlers, but against all bowlers.

As a bowler i dont want to be labelled just as a 2 hander but as a 'bowler'.

Like 1 handers, no 2 handers look or throw the ball alike.

Belmo

wow! i really opened up a discussion here :)

this is great... its given me a lot more insight into 1 and 2 handed bowling before i really sink my teeth in!

i think i will give 2 handed a go to begin with and see how it feels... will give me some bowling time as well while my thumb is healing form last time... lol!

gonna get my girlfriend who is starting out like me to give 2 handed a go as well...

so there could be 2 more 2 handers on their way :)

wow! i really opened up a discussion here :)

this is great... its given me a lot more insight into 1 and 2 handed bowling before i really sink my teeth in!

i think i will give 2 handed a go to begin with and see how it feels... will give me some bowling time as well while my thumb is healing form last time... lol!

gonna get my girlfriend who is starting out like me to give 2 handed a go as well...

so there could be 2 more 2 handers on their way :)

If you're anywhere near Salisbury on a Tuesday night, come out and have a look....Give you an idea of what you're getting yourself in for!

At the end of the day, i just want people to compare a 2 handed not against other 2 handed bowlers, but against all bowlers.
As a bowler i dont want to be labelled just as a 2 hander but as a 'bowler'.
Like 1 handers, no 2 handers look or throw the ball alike.
Belmo
Just a question Jason as ive only seen bits and pieces of u on tv and other two handeds up here in qld where there isnt alot of oil.

But have u ever come accross conditions when u have to bowl down the boards and do u find that harder because watching two handers it looks like bowling deep accross the boards would be alot more natural for the two handed bowler.

cheers

if a bowler can bowl both 1 & 2 handed and enters a tournament and starts off bowling 2 handed and finds the condition is'nt working for them are they allowed to switch??
or is it similar to a person who can bowl both left and right handed (starts right handed must finish right handed)???I think this correct. !!!

Just a question Jason as ive only seen bits and pieces of u on tv and other two handeds up here in qld where there isnt alot of oil.
But have u ever come accross conditions when u have to bowl down the boards and do u find that harder because watching two handers it looks like bowling deep accross the boards would be alot more natural for the two handed bowler.
cheers

Not that this is really much of an answer but check out the video on this website of Jason bowling in the 02 Aus Open. That is fairly close to straight up the boards, very fast, very flat.

if a bowler can bowl both 1 & 2 handed and enters a tournament and starts off bowling 2 handed and finds the condition is'nt working for them are they allowed to switch??
or is it similar to a person who can bowl both left and right handed (starts right handed must finish right handed)???I think this correct. !!!

I asked my coach the other day about this and I was told that if you start a tournament or even weekly leagues bowling 2 handed and then changed to 1 handed it is legal as long as you bowl from your right if it is a right handed average. The same if you had a left hand average.

So there for the ball need to be delivered from your right side and that is still legal, weather you bowl with 2 hands or 1 hand. Provided it is a right hand average. Or if you had a left hand average you would need to deliver the ball from you left side.

I also believe that if you start right handed you need to finish right handed, and so forth if you start with your left hand.

Just what I was told as it came up at league one week and I wanted to know the correct rule with this. :)

From my understanding it does not matter as long as the action stays on the same side.

Just like you can bowl a back up bowl even if your natural style is hook. As long as you bowl with the same hand. You can not however bowl one handed with your right, and then throw two handed from the left side of your body.

Does this make sense?? probably not!

Rhyss.

I asked my coach the other day about this and I was told that if you start a tournament or even weekly leagues bowling 2 handed and then changed to 1 handed it is legal as long as you bowl from your right if it is a right handed average. The same if you had a left hand average.
So there for the ball need to be delivered from your right side and that is still legal, weather you bowl with 2 hands or 1 hand. Provided it is a right hand average. Or if you had a left hand average you would need to deliver the ball from you left side.
I also believe that if you start right handed you need to finish right handed, and so forth if you start with your left hand.
Just what I was told as it came up at league one week and I wanted to know the correct rule with this. :)

OOps, shouldn't leave machine for an hour and then post without refreshing! :oops:

Yeah, like ezajay said. Much better than my explanation anyways! ;)

IN Scratch Tournaments there is no rule. Only in Handicapped where you have a handicap based off your current average with whichever 'side' you average whatever your entering average with.

Easy Tiger, you said you have never emulated anyone? Tell me, where did you get the idea to bowl 2 handed from? Not having a go. But almost every bowler has emulated someone. I took alot of my starting techniques from Ozio. I'll happily admit that, and hope I look half as decent on the lanes.

2 Handed bowlers gain an advantage. It's as simple as that. To use that advantage properly and be able to control it is the true skill. So far only Belmo and Osku can have a true claim to it as far as I'm concerned. I can only assume they have worked long and hard on their game and therefore deserve every accolade they get and have gotten.

Later Da Cowman!

I don't think that your ability deteriorates with age... There are still a lot of 50 year olds who are more than capable of mixing it with the young guys... You might see a change in their speed or ball reaction but that is where their ability comes into it and they can adjust their shot to suit.

Let me correct my self:

Physical ability

Everything you say, I agree with though.

Easy Tiger, you said you have never emulated anyone? Tell me, where did you get the idea to bowl 2 handed from? Not having a go. But almost every bowler has emulated someone. I took alot of my starting techniques from Ozio. I'll happily admit that, and hope I look half as decent on the lanes. Later Da Cowman!

What I meant in my post was that everyone thinks that two handers such as myself are "just trying to be Belmo" and it's a long way from the truth. Yes of course I got the idea from Belmo (and Osku) and I use them as a guide for my own methods, but I'm not "emulating" them. I am trying to master my own technique, not Belmo's. The problem I tend to have is that I develop bad habits that are sometimes hard to get rid of, so then I need to go back and look at the other guys like Belmo and reassess what I'm doing wrong (particularly happens after encountering super short and dry patterns).

As for what Ninja said about bowling across the boards vs up the boards, I know myself I'd rather play pretty straight up the boards where possible..

What i would like to know is at a rev rate at 600rpm or higher,does the weight of the ball still play a part ??
Would bowling a 12, 13,14 or a 15 change the hitting power ?

Yes. How much and why? well, I know of one geek who could probably answer that for you... Dousty! Where are you!!!

I'm not sure but e=mc*2 might have something to do with it. But I can't be sure. But the weight of the ball would have an impact.

Later Da Cowman!

Indeed the weight of the ball will always have an impact on how the ball hits, because there is no way that a ball can miraculously lose its 'mass'. I think how dense the weight is in a particular area of the ball (that is going into RG's & differentials) is what changes the hitting power of certain balls in comparison to revolution rate. I could be wrong though, & someone correct me if I am.

Just wondering if lower weight balls will work 2 handed or not......what about when one is just starting out 2 handed, should he start with lighter and move up or not......

Apologies to mis spelling Osku's name in my earlier post don't know what happened there as I had been watching the World Tenpin Masters and Weber Cup events on Foxtel around the time I posted it.

Belmo:

Thanks for your insight into the few questions I threw into my post as well as those posed by others. As you say we are in the end all bowlers. There is no distinction made between lefty or righty on nearly all tournament score sheets. The bottom line is we are all one handed releasers of the ball. The major difference is Osku and you use the other hand to generate your high revolution rates. Just like reactives killed off urethane balls the two handed delivery will replace the one handed delivery as the recommended delivery type once coaches grasp the technique required.

I would probably attempt to bowl two handed as I know it would greatly increase my strike percentage. However because of the time it would take to develop a competitive consistent delivery I doubt whether I would be able to ever be as good as the younger players quickly enough. As you are the benchmark for world perfromance for this delivery technique if you have any insights into what fundamental technique one should look at when attempting to take up a two handed delivery then I'm sure all would love to read them.

It would be interesting to know what your drilling pattern preferences currently were. Also your insight into what you have found helps or hinders the two handed release with regards to the drilling layout of the ball.

I agree with you that if we were to have a large field of capable two handed bowlers I and most stroker one handed players would find it very hard to compete. I think this will definately change the tournament scene in this country when it does happen (notice I didn't say if). I envisage the power player one handed / stroker delimma will graduate to become the two handed / power player one handed dilemma.

This was actually discussed a while back in the lounge I think, something about "Does a faster or slower ball have a better ability to strike"

The mass of the ball will directly affect it's impact; (F = ma and P = mv)
Both of these equations increase the Force or Momentum proportionally with increased mass. If two balls are delivered at the same speed, the heavier one DOES have more momentum and therefore more energy to impart upon the ball.

BUT there is a range. You'll possibly find (and no I'm not going to do the maths) that at 600 rpm there is a velocity which is ideal for any given weight, and it will be different for each. For practical reasons a 12lb ball is probably about the lightest that would be effective (due to the immense velocity required, it would be difficult if not impossible to throw a lighter ball fast enough)

So in my opinion, you should select the most comfortable weight with a preference towards 15lbs, whatever the style. With practice and gaining strength, move up in weight towards that 15. Even go 16 if desired.

And no Cow, the energy potential of a nuclear reaction isn't overly related :p Although I saw Osku on Fox the other day, perhaps there is something else going on in that pindeck... :D

Ball manufacturers cannot put high performance cores into any balls under 13lb. Even then, the 13lb ones tend not to be that high tech. Whilst a two handed delivery delivers amazing power throwing a 12lb ball or less would result in less hitting performance.

14lb, 15lb and 16lb would be optimum for a two handed and one handed delivery.

Back
Top Bottom