One vs. Two hands

One vs. Two Hands

• Total voters
That just about sums it up. The majority of people who bowl 2 handed do it because they are lacking these things in their one handed release.

Oh, and because they think it looks good and for some reason there are bowlers who think they need to turn the ball more than anyone else to get results.

says you who doesnt put his thumb in the ball....................

And also dosent put his thumb in the ball trying to bowl backup as well. Sorry mate you got me started now. :):):)

Deano

Oh, and because they think it looks good and for some reason there are bowlers who think they need to turn the ball more than anyone else to get results.
Another thought spoken without really thinking about it first.

Why is it that when bowlers throw it two handed, bowlers say you're only doing it because you think it looks good?

It wouldn't have anything to do with the two handed release feeling more comfortable? weak wrists? a new bowler trying to gain an advantage because the new bowler doesn't have that muscle memory build up the 20 year bowler has?

There are numerous reasons why bowlers opt for the two hand release. I'm so sick of the general concensus that two handed bowlers bowl this way because they're Belmo wannabes, they wanna go coast to coast and all that crap.

since we are back on the subject,anyone got any tips for me who wants to go 2 handed in a relitively dry center??? im 17 and it does feel alot more natural, although,now i tend to find any ball i pick up just takes off???

any tips guys???

richard

Richard,

It's very hard to back off a two hand shot. Best advice I can give you is to polish a ball up, and play nothing but forward roll. You should get more length out of the shot.

thanks mate, ill give it a go, i currently have a jazz lined up, just need to get it punched out and polished a bit more.

richard

Long pin to PAP beats pin on axis anyday, Luke. (5½"-ish...) Pin on axis looks, rolls and hits like a lawn bowl IMO. Especially with revs.

Way back on page 1, Dave says two handed is a gift. While I know Dave would never mean it that way, I feel that's downplaying all the hard work that goes into it.

The best two handed players in the world do have something in common. Their parents put them on a lane to keep them occupied from an early age when the ball was as big as they were. Can't say I saw Osku bowl before he made the US Open, but I saw Jason bowl when he was 8 or 10 years old. Obviously his dimensions have changed somewhat, but I still see very similar mechanics from those early years. (And he's still charming.) :)

Two handed requires lots of practice, hard work and thoughtful coaching. It's not the biomechanically kindest way to deliver a bowling ball and you can actually get more revs one handed, but it can allow you to deliver the ball onto the lane with no hang, almost no loss of forward velocity off the release, high revs and a very large track diameter, creating strong controlled motion. And that is why it's so spectacular when it's on.

I do believe the same results can achieved with the thumb in as well.

One thing i've fund throwing the ball two handed is the drilling now makes a big difference....and i'm not just talking about pin to PAP distances though these are also important. I've found the pin over the bridge with the CG in the 'centre' of the grip the most effective drilling since the weight block is resting in my palm. The drilling where the cg's and mass bias are kicked off to the side seem to want to faal off my hand upon release of the top half prior to release. This leads to a loss of leverage/revs and decreased consistency.

So do you think with Belmo and Osku, being televised more, and being noticed more.... has made a few more people think about bowling with this new technique?
If there wasn't this exposure... would we see so many bowlers adapting to this style?
Surely, years ago, there were owners of alleys whom gave their toddlers a ball and a bowl to keep them occupied. So how come its only Belmo and Osku, who've really come up with this style? Were there others 30 or 40yrs ago?

Darryl

Yes there was a young guy named Peter Leeworthy who bowled at Ringwood and Box Hill bowl in the 1970's.from memory his ave was around 170 not bad as top ave was around 185.:cool:

Well I just tried the two handed approach tonight, for interest sake and to see what others have been talking about. Scored very well for my first time (554), speed was a little slow, and my rev rate was also a little on the low side, yet I can see over a period of time how damaging this delivery can be with a lot of practise. Pick up speed, rev rate and a more consistant approach and when you are on ,you are definately on!!!!

As I'm typing this, on the downside my back feels a little on the stiff and sore side, I'm hoping that this is because my delivery was different from shot to shot... I'm sure I'll feel it even more next morning... Still it really has made me think about this technique as a long term proposition.

My only concern is the fact that I'm 38 ( a fit one with no physical impairments)... I want to be bowling at 68 if you understand me. I don't want to completely F**k my back not only for bowling but for my life.. In a league I use to bowl in there was a bright and sprightly 92 yr old lady, I never told her that I was so in awe of her!

Are there other two handers out there who can offer any tips or experiences they have found with this technique, in particular the toll on their body, age and/or how long they have been bowling like this for??

Are there any 50+ yr old out there who give the two handed a go?

Love to read your thoughts on this.
See ya
LOTP

Not quite 50 but is 44 good enough?

I had a 200 plus average one handed (high of 221) before switching to two handed about 15 months ago. I have now brought my averages back up to 200 plus (high of about 219).

I switched because I wanted to try something different. I find this style more natural, my hand position at release is better and more consistent and I am just having a lot more fun with my bowling. I am not scoring any higher but I am certainly enjoying it a lot more.

I also find that I have less aches and pains the next day. I am a big fella and that might be helping but in general I am finding myslef more relaxed at the line and not trying to lift everything too hard (even bending the knee which is a miracle for me!!).

I spare one-handed with a plastic ball and it is interesting to note that my spare ball speed is about 5kms higher (another indicator of being more relaxed).

Does anyone else who has changed to 2h style find that it is easier on their body and that their whole swing is more relaxed?

cheers
Des

Back
Top Bottom