Two-handed phenom Jason Belmonte named newest USBC spokesperson

KnuckleHead

Vic Represent
Australian two-handed bowler Jason Belmonte has teamed up with the United States Bowling Congress as an international spokesperson for youth and the burgeoning two-handed approach delivery.

In that role, Belmonte will promote the sport of bowling in general and in particular the two-handed style approach delivery popular with youth bowlers and that he has used with great success to win many major tournaments worldwide.

Belmonte, 24, also will be a resource for USBC, assisting the national governing body and its coaching certification program in developing curriculum for the two-handed style that will be added to USBC coach training manuals.

Belmonte is one of 21 notable bowlers and coaches from 16 countries at USBC Headquarters in suburban Milwaukee through Saturday for the International Coach/Instructor Training seminar hosted by USBC.

"I'm really excited because so many kids want to be able to try the two-handed style," Belmonte said. "In their areas, they don't have anyone to teach them how to do it. Once we can get some material out to coaches, I think it'll be a lot easier for them to coach those kids. And I think those kids might stay in the game longer."

"USBC is proud to team up with Jason as a spokesperson," said USBC Chief Operating Officer Kevin Dornberger. "Jason embodies a bold new direction for the sport of bowling. He's young, athletic and employs a new, powerful two-handed style that's appealing to many youth bowlers."

The emerging two-handed style offers bowlers the advantage of generating more hook and power than the traditional one-handed delivery. Because two-handers use one hand to roll the ball and the other to support it, they can keep their bowling hand under the ball longer. This positioning lets them generate extra rotation, hook and power on the ball and more options to play the lanes, which can translate to more strikes and higher scores.

"I am pretty much a self-taught bowler," said Belmonte, who swings the ball with both hands by his right side and uses his left hand for support throughout the swing until pulling it away at the release point. "I don't know everything about the two-handed style. I'm still learning myself."

Since the style is relatively new and becoming increasingly popular with top youth bowlers, little coaching material exists to help teach it. USBC is in the early stages of motion research on this style and with high-level players like Belmonte will provide more information for the coaching community so bowlers can receive professional instruction.

"It's so much more natural for little kids to use two hands than one," said Belmonte, who started bowling with two hands at 18 months of age in his parents' bowling center in the provincial city of Orange in New South Wales, Australia.

"If that's how they start, let it progress and they may get better at it. All I want to do is give them an option. Just don't give the sport away. Give it a chance."

From Bowling Digital.
www.bowlingdigital.com

Back
Top Bottom