Country Cup 2007 - Sale

Is there a reason that Sale went with 6 men and 6 women instead of 7?

It's easier on the manager to have one sit on the bench getting agro at them rather than 2. :mad:

I am only guessing as I wasn't part of the decision making team. However the women only had 6 turn up for the roll off.

Liz

Is there a reason that Sale went with 6 men and 6 women instead of 7?
Why would you require 2 bowlers on the sideline when only bowling 3 game blocks. It only makes it to unsettling to the team to be moving bowlers in and out of the team in short blocks. All you do is have 2 bowlers sitting on the side and cracking it because they are not bowling, 1 you could handle 2 is just too much.
My opinion only, I am not on the commitee so i am only guessing:eek: ;)

Why would you require 2 bowlers on the sideline when only bowling 3 game blocks.

4 game blocks Saturday and Sunday, with 3 game blocks on Monday (unless something has changed since March?)

It only makes it to unsettling to the team to be moving bowlers in and out of the team in short blocks. All you do is have 2 bowlers sitting on the side and cracking it because they are not bowling, 1 you could handle 2 is just too much.
My opinion only, I am not on the commitee so i am only guessing:eek: ;)

By having two bowlers extra (ie 7 in team) you have more options. It is likely that at some stage during a 22 game tournament, most bowlers are going to have bad patches and by having two on the bench it gives you a better chance of keeping a competitive team of five bowling. (I have had years where i wished i had more than two on the bench!).

I think you might get a few comments regarding disgruntled bowlers on the bench. This is a team event and bowlers need to realize that they are still part of a team whether they are bowling or sitting out. One pretty sure way of not being left out is to bowl well. If you are on the bench it is probably due to poor form - that is not the managers or captains fault but the bowler who is not performing. Disgruntled bench players can have a negative impact on the rest of the team and the teams overall performance. If a bowler on my team had that sort of attitude i would be even more likely to leave them on the bench.

4 game blocks Saturday and Sunday, with 3 game blocks on Monday (unless something has changed since March?)

Yes well I think Grumpy has Senior Shield on the mind presently. :confused:

Whilst we agree with your comments Gatsby, there are bowlers out there that would feel different. Sale has difficulty in fielding a full team at times. I know with senior shield it was difficult as the travel to Mildura put some bowlers off.

A lot of the bowlers also do not bowl other tournys apart from CCup/seniors shield and maybe Emmerson. They don't have the experience and thus the understanding to bowl tournys especially team based ones.

Liz

I would have thought that perhaps if you could not get the adults to bowl then you would give the spots to some juniors and try and showcase some local junior talent and perhaps get them hungry to bowl the event in the future.

Just an idea.

Yes well I think Grumpy has Senior Shield on the mind presently. :confused:
Whilst we agree with your comments Gatsby, there are bowlers out there that would feel different. Sale has difficulty in fielding a full team at times. I know with senior shield it was difficult as the travel to Mildura put some bowlers off.
A lot of the bowlers also do not bowl other tournys apart from CCup/seniors shield and maybe Emmerson. They don't have the experience and thus the understanding to bowl tournys especially team based ones.
Liz
Fair enough Liz - that certainly would make a difference. I would have thought that with next year being at Sale you may have had more people interested though? And Carmers suggestion of fielding a junior (if you have any that are promising enough) would have also been a good idea - even if they only got a few games.

Sale has lost a number of bowlers over the past few years and the juniors stopped coming through when I was a junior. And actually being from Sale myself I'm surprised there wasn't more trying out for the team.

Sale has lost a number of bowlers over the past few years and the juniors stopped coming through when I was a junior. And actually being from Sale myself I'm surprised there wasn't more trying out for the team.

So why didn't you try out? ;)

Fair suggestions by all and I can go on and on about why and why not but I guess at the end of the day it would be more beneficial if the local association was to have it's say to some of these issues as they are in charge of the direction for their bowlers. I am just one voice from Sale (even though people tell me I talk enough for a large group!!).

Liz

Have to get Grumpie to confirm details - I suppose you want to sit next to Kev and hold his hand to

Back
Top Bottom