What kept the scores down at Melbourne International Tenpin Cup?

wchester

Bowling Tragic
Theres a lot to be learned through understanding the effect that lane surfaces have on "oil patterns". my question is what do you think kept the scores down this weekend. This same pattern has been high scoring in the past so what happened?

Theres a lot to be learned through understanding the effect that lane surfaces have on "oil patterns". my question is what do you think kept the scores down this weekend. This same pattern has been high scoring in the past so what happened?

Even though the pattern looked very much the same, it played with quite an OB outside 5 and less hold in the middle. Still playable, but much tougher than the nationals pattern.

Absolutely Brenton. Many comments have been made in regards to the pattern laid. I myself didnt bowl nationals at Altona but others that did have openly said the pattern was quite different to that of last years nationals.

Absolutely Brenton. Many comments have been made in regards to the pattern laid. I myself didnt bowl nationals at Altona but others that did have openly said the pattern was quite different to that of last years nationals.
But in saying that nothing should be taken away from Matt Riley who bowled brilliantly all weekend to win the event averaging 215 for 32 games and also Jarrod Lean who climbed the ranks today coming from 15th after qualifying to get into the top 10 and then finish runner up to Matt in the stepladder after posting a 221 matchplay average.
Also congrats to AMP on her great win and Cassie runner up. Both put on a great display in the step ladder matches.
And finally congrats Brandon Qualichefski and Kate Wilton 3rd place getters in their respective divisions.

Muels - a question please - if people are saying that the condition at Altona differed between the Nationals and the MTC - they would be saying that was a good thing..right? It should be expected that a centre would differ in play from one event to the next event - would it not?

Steve

Hi Steve, yes maybe in regards to your question but the problem is that the advertised pattern was that of the nationals of last year. A certain pattern has been advertised yet what seemed to be a completely different laid down on the lanes.

Kelvin maybe I can clear this up.

The original (first) pattern posted on totalbowling for the event was close to the Nationals pattern, but was not the pattern laided at either the junior or adult nationals.

After a discussion with Justin (Operations Manager) at Altona, a second pattern was posted on totalbowling around a week ago. This was the pattern you bowled on at the weekend.

This was a TBA approved pattern and met the lane conditioning policy for a nationally ranked event. The pattern was loaded into the kegel via kosi under TBA supervision and with the assistance of VicTenpins.

perhaps its due to the weather?

I believe temperatures can have quite an effect on the way lanes play. I know how oil holds longer because its viscosity is increased in colder temperatures, through winter.

Kelvin maybe I can clear this up.
The original (first) pattern posted on totalbowling for the event was close to the Nationals pattern, but was not the pattern laided at either the junior or adult nationals.
After a discussion with Justin (Operations Manager) at Altona, a second pattern was posted on totalbowling around a week ago. This was the pattern you bowled on at the weekend.
This was a TBA approved pattern and met the lane conditioning policy for a nationally ranked event. The pattern was loaded into the kegel via kosi under TBA supervision and with the assistance of VicTenpins.
My apologises but i was just relaying some of the feedback i heard from the weekend from bowlers on what they read the printed version of the laid pattern.

I think the scoring rate was just right.

Not so much 'phone number' sydrome like we've been seeing lately, but the bowlers who truly bowled well came out on top.

Matt killed it from start to finish and was the deserved winner.

Muels and Grant - thx for the clarification - I'm pleased to learn that by and large today's elite tournament players don't walk into a given centre and expect the exact same condition the last time they were in the place - that would make the game about as challenging as coming in out of the rain.

Not sure if anyone else noticed, but after the first day of qualifying AMP averaged something like 178 with a high game of 193 i believe.. then totally came out and killed it the 2nd day and again thru matchplay.

fantastic effort AMP - yet another reason why you are SIMPLE THE BEST!!!

Congrats to Matt for an outstanding performance ALL weekend too.

Cheers
Martina

Muels and Grant - thx for the clarification - I'm pleased to learn that by and large today's elite tournament players don't walk into a given centre and expect the exact same condition the last time they were in the place - that would make the game about as challenging as coming in out of the rain.

Could'nt agree more Steve.

I would be a bit more concerned with the fact that the tournament only attracted 57 men & 11 women.

Rob, correct on the numbers - the last MTC I was involved in had [from memory] 150 starters [I'm pretty certain 5 squads x 30 was the best we could ever do timing wise at Ringwood Lanes - maybe after it went to Ed's place at Mooroolbark it had more bowlers but I can't be certain I was out of the country for almost ten years] - but then of course that was a million years ago [well 20 or so anyway] a lot has changed since then. However and by any reasonable standard, I would have thought, as you do, that 57 and 11 is a very poor result.

Scores were low because the short pattern length meant that the breakpoint was right next to the out of bounds mentioned by Brenton, which was on both sides btw. The pattern was equally ugly left to right.

The front of the lanes wanted to hook early, so if you rolled the ball that meant you had to get to the break point using some pretty big angles. Therefore, miss a pinch right or over rotate the shot and it was a 6 count. Matt upper body strength allowed him to play really fast all weekend and he was able to tame the midlane and backend easier than the rest of us. I can assure you, he was exhausted when we drove home. He bowled great. Jarrod was brilliant on day three. He also had the pedal to the metal using a control ball. Brando bowled great all weekend with the ball directly over his head in the backswing. (He's gotta have a pretty sore shoulder right about now.)

Personally, I didn't have a ball that went straight enough. I left my urethane ball at home as it seemed redundant on a 23ml pattern. I really wish I'd had it there.

They hooked an awful lot for 23mls. Big hooking lanes with an OB = low scores.

Steve,

Havent been to many Melbourne Cups in the last 10-15 years myself. Went in 2006. Sure they had over 100 bowlers that year. Didnt go 2007, but sure they had a lot closer to 100 (if not more) than 57.

I think Altona's machine might need looking at.

We had a Sports Series there about a month ago, and the Cheetah pattern played pretty much nothing like it for the first 4 games, there was a definite out of bounds not usually associated with Cheetah, and a number of experienced bowlers commented on it.

Having said that, every bowler had to bowl on the condition, so best man still won.

Back
Top Bottom