What keeps you coming back?

Toon

OWN IT!
So we have a million topics about why bowling is declining and how to improve the game, promote it more etc.

But instead, let's focus on why we come back week after week, year after year. Always looking to improve our game, buy all the best gear available.

Let's talk about the positives of the coolest sport around. Yes Androoo, golf is cool too.

For me, it's the ability to make the ball whatever I want it to do. The fact that when I want to, I can throw as many revs as I want and have kids and social bowlers think....whoa, I want to be able to do that.

After all, thats how I started.

I love the feeling of throwing strike after strike and seeing the ball swing right into the pocket.

Discuss!

I love the mix of bowlers, top notch, old, young, rich/poor (mostly poor!), struggling to regain form, wanting to be better, just wanna bowl, wanna check out everyone else's gear, the excitement of those who cash for the first time, the effort that those jaded bowlers put in 'just in case' the game grabs them again. Running tourns. over a number of years, I get to see improvement and the sheer pleasure when a goal is reached. Personally, I just loved competing and the XXXX when finished.

Very well put Mary! You will be sorely missed next year too :(
My reason to keep coming back is to see anyone improve their game from a coaches perspective. From a bowlers perspective, the challenge of what is coming up and the people we meet in our great sport!

I forgot to add the element of surprise when you throw a great shot and an 8 pin stands or when you fairy tap the head pin and how slowly every pin falls down , bowling can be like a box of chocolates

After not bowling for near 24 years, it was like coming home. Fell in love with the sport all over again. Never really fell out of love with it, life just got in the way.

All the new gear is great, can't get enough of it. To much to learn and try, not enough time to do it.

You look accross your regular league night and the age difference is great to see. Not many sports can lay claim to that.

But most of all, it's just good fun with good people.

Tasmanians do not appreciate the greater things in life. Androooo, would you have liked playing in the conditions at Hoylake for Womens British Open .... tell me why I love watching the tough golf venues/weather but hate watching bowlers struggle on really tough lane conditions !!!! Perhaps that is another reason to keep coming back .... to overcome.

I love the challenge of the lanes and my mental game. Some days the lanes get the better of me for two outta three games. The next week l come back and go Right let's put in practice what l did last week (for league) or Tournaments just wanting to bowl consistant on a tough pattern. (expand your game) Your fellow bowlers are key, good fun makes your day/night fun :) and l think watching your idols on TV makes you feel you can do anything. (hell its how l got back into it watching the PBA and belmo)

It's a hard thing to pinpoint, I started on a school trip myself, got hooked and pretty much gave all up all other sports I was involved in, golf, tennis, cricket, soccer and a reasonably high level of swimming. To this day, it will always be a part of my life and has given me the opportunity of seeing parts of the world, meeting people and developing friendships. My mates at school used to give me a hard time about it, but were always shut up when I told them how much money I had won at some tournament on the weekend, which was usually 3 times what they got from the Maccas jobs.

Today it is still partly income related, I back myself to make a little money out of it and winning is certainly a nice feeling, I also work in a proshop part time and I enjoy helping others, which is probably the biggest kick I get out of the game now, coaching and assisting the next group of potentials to progress them in the sport.

Having just finished a week long tournament, I can easily say that the one thing that keeps me coming back is the people I get to bowl with during events. Bowling is one of the most sociable sports I know, despite the frustation levels of the sport being higher than golf.

I also love the challenge of always trying to go one better than the week before, the satisfaction of getting a great score, and knowing there's always one more game if you don't.

I have been bowling for 40+ years - have met and bowled with some wonderful people - some of whom I bowled juniors with and still bowl with & against now. I have bene mildly competitve over the years, but nothing as muxh as I wanted to be. The reason i come back - friendship - most (if not all) of my friends are/have been bowlers, I married a bowler and my kids bowl (or have bowled). Like golfers - bowlers understand bowlers.....the competition is good, the friendship is better.........

Why do I keep coming back?

Because there is nothing better then walking out in your state colours or that beautiful green and gold!

Also a big one for me is people who put you down and say you can't do something and then coming out and doing what they say you couldnt do puts a massive smile on my face. They have made me a stronger bowler and given me an urge to keep fighting.

Back
Top Bottom