Why Do You Bowl?

I left the sport about 3 years ago, because I felt I was being robbed by the centres where i was bowling. I have recently gone back because I enjoy the sport.

Wow what a subject! I not sure if this will help you!
I gave up bowling in Dec 05. My average droped from 150 down to 123! And somewhere in the middle off all of this was De Veer and the NQ champs. I was told by a person I trusted greatly "that he did not think i would make it in De Veer" (he told me this when I came back) Hence the reason for my quiting bowling. I defy any one to take a message like that and not have it play big tricks with your mental game!
The reason was mainly politics and coaches with ego's bigger than the grand canyon! Yes I'm sure I am opening a can of worms with this one!
My 13 year old daughter still bowls and yes I still love the sport. I know in my heart that I will one day I will be back bowling. My problem is dealing with the few people who have this sport in a strangle hold and don't want to let go!
Over the years I have run many tournaments and every time I remind myself that this is for the future of the sport. This sport is for all bowlers of all levels! I am luckier than most that I can say I represented my state! That would have to be one of the proudest moments of my life (excluding giving birth to my two beautiful daughters)
If you go back go back with the knowledge that you are doing this for you and that you truly enjoy the sport. Bowl hard and fast! Enjoy!!!
:rolleyes: :rolleyes:

Adrian, Anyone who asks the question should be banned for life, from the Forum, from bowling [or compelled to bowl non-stop into eternity] or something worse than that, if anyone can think of something!!

I must say I love bowling. I love the social aspect, and the friendliness of it all. I have found it to be the most enjoyable sport I have ever competed in, whether bowling as an individual or part of a team.

I started bowling in 1989 with an old boyfriend. His cousin asked us to join their league at Moorabbin on a Tuesday night and we were hooked. After 17 years the old boyfriend is long gone but his cousin and the group of friends I made then are some of my closest friends today and will be forever. I have seen them get engaged, attended their weddings, helped them celebrate the arrival of their kids and watched them grow. We live at opposite sides of the city now but the connections are too strong to be left by the wayside.

Also, you do not have to be a high average bowler to compete in a league and enjoy a friendly rivalry with your opponents. You can be successful in league competition and still be an'average' bowler.. It is a great equaliser in that respect.

For many years I enjoyed league and travel league without entering any tournaments and seriously competing. I now enjoy competing in a number of state level and national tournaments throughout the year, and even without actually winning prizemoney on a regular basis, I love catching up with friends I have met over the years from interstate and other parts of Victoria.

Tenpin bowling is the only sport (that I can see anyway) where you can meet some of the greats of the game, both past and present, and have a chat to them face to face. They are happy enough to talk to you on most days and are generally quite happy to hear how you are and how you have been bowling. In what other sport could you speak to the likes of Cara, Carol, Jeanette, Maxine, Ian Bradford, Frawls, Belmo and George when you see them in a bowling centre. Just being able to ask them about certain aspects of their careers or their equipment and hearing it 'straight from the horse's mouth' is an advantage I cannot imagine being able to gain in any other sporting field.

I could go on for ages about other things as well, and I agree wholeheartedly with a lot of what has already been posted, but as you can see I have a passion for the sport and I can't imagine not bowling... ever.....

Jane.

PS: Also wouldn't have met the other half if it hadn't been for bowling... not sure if that is a plus or not though... JK Ralph - love you lots... :D

I returned to the game in 2004 after 6 years off due to family responsibilities and a spouse who didn't understand or accept my passion for the sport. During this time I found I lost touch with all the great people I once knew and had formed friendships with. I decided to return after attending a New Year Party and catching up with all my old mates and reminiscing about the old times. I found that I came back with a renewed passion and bigger goals and whilst it took me a while to get back into it I have only ever regretted not doing it sooner. I often wonder where I could be right now if I had not taken so long to come back. The majority of my friends are people I have met through bowling, so many wonderful people from all over Australia. I love bowling and hope one day I can achieve in it, but even if I never did life wouldn't be the same without being able to get out and meet so many people with the same interests. I bowl cos I love doing it but also because I love meeting new people.

jimcross said:
Adrian, Anyone who asks the question should be banned for life, from the Forum, from bowling [or compelled to bowl non-stop into eternity] or something worse than that, if anyone can think of something!!

What for exactly?

I originally posted this observation in the AO Prize Fund debate! WRONG!!
If we love the sport, love to bowl (quite obvious that we do!), the following comments may have some relevance -

Why go and actually SEE our sport in real time at a centre when we can sit at home, post comments about 'when will the results be posted and where can I find them', criticize bowlers we have never seen, comment on lane conditions without seeing the bowlers competing and adjusting etc., and never get to know the bowlers by sight, dress, personality, bowling ability and presence on the lanes?

The 'old days' saw spectators getting more fun out of the bowlers' reactions, running around with bits of paper with scores (who will make it????), watching and judging bowlers under pressure, and the ensuing gossip when they arrived back in their own states with results we poured over at league.

Sponsors then may have gotten more value for their money, bowlers certainly had more pressure on them whilst competing as the crowd did not 'miss' them when they 'stuffed up', they became tougher at competing, everyone gave 'good advice' but it was up close and personal!!! Groups of bowlers from other states hung around - it has become a solitary game for many...especially the new bowlers who really do feel 'out of the loop'.

Yes, the online business may be booming but at what expense to crowds at the actual tourns.....from interstate it is just great but are we just following the 'instant' trend of today's world -

and I am not bagging the online users - far from it - maybe the BOWLERS themselves need to hang around and watch other squads, presentations etc., introduce themselves to the new tournament bowlers and sell tournament bowling !!!!! ...they disappear so fast after they have competed and the joy of meeting up with new bowlers, old bowlers and competitors from other squads to compare notes, gripe, and whinge has gone - most have become quite unapproachable outside their own group - the new world outside the bowl has won.......

Flower

Why do I bowl?
Put simply - A passionate love of the game and the sport, an enjoyment of the people involved, and a great feeling of involvement and being able to
make a difference when needed to. The politics only affect you if you let them, and they aren`t really that bad in tenpin. I was involved in womens
softball at club and district level executive for quite a number of years, and
really, if you think tenpin is bad, it is really a kindergarten.
Personally, I like hanging around and chatting to all and sundry after
bowling ( over a drink of course ), but as you can probably appreciate, I do
spend most of my waking hours in a tenpin centre, and sometimes it is just
good to get out and vegetate. Go back to your your bowling for your own
reasons, get involved at the level that you wish to be involved at, enjoy
the game/sport or don`t bother at all, and most of all, stop worrying about things that you can`t change, and the things you can change, don`t winge
about them - change them.
Lawrie

I've been asking myself the same question recently as well. I stopped bowling about 5 months ago, which at the time seemed like an easy decision. Finances had become tight, so that i could then only afford to bowl once a week. I saw my game crumbling around me, and others asking 'what the hell happened to that guy? He used to be good.' The fire was gone.

But recently, a few of my regular practice guys got me out onto the lanes for a roll. And i finally realised why i had quit: my friends had gone back home and quit my league just before i had quit as well. Without them, bowling didn't seem very fun at all, and all i could focus on was my deplorable scoring at the time.

So i practiced with them, bowled a super 160 odd average, but realised i didn't care. I was back with my mates, and i was happy. While i want to improve my game, I love bowling because i have so much fun with the people around me. Add to that the sheer excitement of seeing those pins flying again, and that fire is coming back again. Retirement will be finishing extremely soon i would imagine!

the reason why im in the game? the thrill of competition. the fact that you can never stop learning in this game.never is there a time when ANYONE can say i know everything about bowling, i can beat everyone anytime, all the time.it's the one sport i know of that always changes and is never a sure thing each time you step foot in a bowling alley. to me there is no better feeling than knowing im always going to be learning something about the sport i love regardless of my ability level

I started it when I first moved to Melbourne to meet people and develop friendships. I continue doing it because I enjoy it and spending time with people that I get along with whilst also improving so that one day I bowl that elusive 300 or and 800 series. If it wasn't for bowling I wouldn't have half the friendships I do today and I'd probably still be living at home. I honestly couldn't imagine what life would be like if I wasn't bowling.... it's a scary thought!! Had it not been for bowling I probably wouldn't have been to half the places I have been to so I would also have to say the experiences I've had to have definitely had a major impact.

Hope that helps Adrian!

I left the game for a long time due to an arm injury. I didn't miss the actual bowling during the time off, but I did miss some of the people. I decided to try again when my arm felt better and found it was 10 yrs plus 1 day since I'd been operated on to fix the injury. Must have been something ticking away in the sub conscious. Seven years later and I plan to keep enjoying bowling. If I don't enjoy it anymore I won't bowl. This might be your sport, but it should also be your leisure time.

Sumo
I plan to live forever ....................................... or die trying

I bowl because I enjoy it and I also enjoy the friendships you can create around the country.It is also a sport you can do all year round in all sorts of weather which is great when you live in Ballarat Vic lol!

why i bowl is simple i enjoy it, i love it. i have passion for it, plus it is a game of skill and concentration, that's why i bowl

yeah for fun and to get betta at the sport. U meet really great people in bowling so its awesome. As I am a Junior I love bowling pressie shield and i wish it was more then once a yr

I bowl for the love of the game. I started in 2001 and never looked back. I dont plan on giving up anytime soon, I love it too much.

I bowl because i love it. My whole family is into it and we have a good time..

To be honest I have no idea anymore.

That said..

I started it because I enjoyed it. Started as a family thing, and it went from there. I've achieved many of the things I have so far set out to do, but am by no means finished with those goals, as they lead onto bigger things. I know that if I work harder and keep at it, bigger things will come my way. It's a matter of time and dedication. It wouldn't be much of an achievement if you did everything you could do within your first few years of bowling, would it?

This year was always going to be somewhat of a quiet year for me with my last 6 months of Uni and full time work, I do not practice at all because I don't have the time to get to the bowl. I do Uni and work 7 days a week.

By next year the motivation and desire should be back, and hopefully I will be able to start knocking off some of my goals which have been delayed. I'm just hoping the national tournament scene doesn't get knocked off before I can get there..

Back
Top Bottom