Why Do You Bowl?

Murderdoll

INSINR8R
Since I dont check this part of the forum, if this topic has been asked before, then feel free to delete it...

Although its not as simple question as you may think.

After Perth Cup last year, I quit bowling. I didn't regret it much then but lately I've been rethinking my decision. A few of the main factors for quitting was how much it was costing me a week and politics. I'm not going to get into every little aspect, but at the time, those were the reasons.

The last few weeks I have contemplated getting back into it, but have found that its not as simple as that. Its been nearly a year since I picked up a ball and laced the shoes, and I doubt I am anywhere near where I left off. (Ha, you'd think so wouldn't you?)

So my question to you is, Why is it that you bowl? Or if you've recently returned to the game, what made you want to go back to it? Hopefully your feedback will be enough encouragement for me to return to the game I played for most of my life.

Thanks guys,
Adrian Altieri

Hay

Well I bowl because i've been bowling for about 12yrs which i was 12 when i started!! I know i'm not as good as i should be having bowled for so long but i enjoy bowling and it's the only sport i've ever done!! Also i have alot of friends in this sport!! But i mainly bowl because i enjoy it!!

Well thats just my bit it prob doesn't help!!

From Chooken

every little thing helps. I wanted to know why you bowl, and you've put why you've constantly bowled over 12 years.

Because its one of those sports where the main aim is to just play as perfectly as you can,say like golf,When I play I just want to bowl better than my biggest game and series thats what its all about, you dont need to rely on anyone else ,you can just rock up at a centre and bowl yourself,forget everything thats going on elsewhere and just bowl.Also there are alot of decent people bowl too so socially its good too.

The reason why I bowl is ME. When I go bowling I forget about everyone else, and anything else. It is the only time I have where all I think about is beating myself or improving myself.

It's my ME time and meeting good people along the way is also a bonus... :D

I have two children, now youths, who bowl and I couldn't afford to be a third member. Not only for $ but when juniors they required transport etc, so I got involved in the organisation side. I do occasionaly bowl.
I love tenpin, its a sport with many levels of involvement. You bowl against yourself, teams, individuals, can play anytime you want or need to. Not all sports give you the instant success and failure with each ball bowled/thrown/kicked. It is character building....corny?....but very true. Learning to be a team player and self discipline, controlling emotions at every ball, courtesy and sportmanship.
I have been involved with both soccer and netball, manager, coach, organisation and parent. Spectator abuse, non-contact sport?, give me tenpin. The politics you talk about is something shared in every sport, the higher you go the worse it is. Good luck with your return.

I started to bowl again because I met a lot of good people and if you can ignore the politics and just have fun then its ok. I agree that politics is a big reason to stay away but you can not get that involved if you wish.

I play simply just because I enjoy the game itself, and I'd play it a lot more if I could too, I love it.
Have been involved in bowling since I was 2 - am now 31 - and it has been one of those things in life that has always been a central part of life for me, and given me great enjoyment and something to focus on, when many other things have fallen away.
I gave up tournament bowling for a number of years to help out the football club which was in danger of extinction - eventually it dropped out of the State League and back into the amatuers - just sticking to one night of league a week, and 5 years ago, made the decision to focus on bowling a lot more and I'm very glad I did it.
That football club I speak of now wears a different jumper, different colours, has a different emblem and is full of people I strongly dislike (the small number of people that are actually involved with the club), and most of the people I spent a liftetime enjoying their company no longer follow it either, so I'm glad I got back into bowling.

I've met many, many hundreds of people over the years playing the game and the majority have been pretty good people, have had a lot of fun times through my involvement in the game, and I credit being more focussed on bowling for helping me control a rather bad temper I used to have.

I have had times when I've gotten sick of it - and the politics - and wanted to put the balls away for awhile, but I've always had the "bowling bug" and I couldn't totally walk away I don't think.

In short Adrian, I play it because - as frustrating as it can be at times - I just love playing the game. :)

i stopped bowling when i was just out of youth having then bowledfor 9 years my reasons were i had just had a baby with my now wife but also i felt that i was not concetrating on my game and thought that i was not getting better but i should be better than i was i finished on a 180 average .
now 8 years later i have started again this year started in december with a 162 average have made average to now 190 and i am also prepared to put my A grade 8 ball on hold this year to try and better my self at bowling
i didnt really come back to it because of friends because most if not all the people i used to bowl with have givin it up aswell but because i have always loved the sport and after 8 years the itch to come back was just too much.
ignore the politics try not to whinge like most bad sports tend to you only give others something to talk about !

Its freaky that you ask this, i found myself asking "why do i bowl" what looks to be 1hour prior to you posting this thread.

Bowling is the only sport ive ever played so my view is biased. But when im bowling and im bowling well it is a great feeling. The rush from picking up a dificult spare or throwing a strike under pressure can't compare to anything ive experienced outside of bowling. Bowling for me is all about improving, i am the only one holding me back...i can control my destiny. Its up to me how far i can take my game and i like that thought.

Of late i have been seriusly thinking about quitting, about 6 weeks ago i nearly followed through with it. Bowling was no longer making me happy, i was in a rough patch and the scores werent high. why didnt I? in the peak of my considerations i shot my high series 684 during league one thursday night. It felt awsome, i got that rush back, started stringing strikes together and it was an awsome feeling. Since then my games been on the rise ive been working hard and my shot is looking better everyweek.

Im still bowling for the moment but i am considering trying something different...golf seems to be the go for bowlers.

My thoughts
Chris O'Shea

*'TOPHER* said:
Bowling is the only sport ive ever played so my view is biased. But when im bowling and im bowling well it is a great feeling. The rush from picking up a dificult spare or throwing a strike under pressure can't compare to anything ive experienced outside of bowling.[/FONT]

I think that is so true thats how i feel! i really like bowling and i have considered quiting but thats because i was getting treated like **** from the other juniors at the centre!! But i'm glad i didn't because i could never just through away bowling like that, i've seen people hit 18 and just stop bowling because they want to go live and do something else, i'm not going to be like that!!
Just a little more of my point of veiw!!
Chooken

Unlike some of the people who responded to your query, I took up bowling at an advanced age (I've just turned 50!). I think its a great sport.

It is a sport which you can enjoy by yourself, with a group of friends, or at a more competitive level.

Because of the handicaps, you can bowl against people who are more/less skilled than yourself, and still be competitive. It is a sport where men, women and children can compete, on an equal footing.

You can play any time of the year, regardless of the weather. You can play during the week or at weekends. You can play during the day or at night.
Where I bowl is a "safe" environment, and parking is just outside the door.

The staff are friendly, and the bowlers in my league are very helpful with newer bowlers. Apart from those at the very top level (and perhaps even then?), there is always something to learn.

Finally, apart from the game fees, the "entry costs" for new bowlers are not high. If someone is thinking of trying out the sport, there is not a lot of equipment that you need to purchase upfront.

i bowl cause i enjoy it and i love watching the pins fly its the experience of hitting the pocket and not knowing what the pins are going to do is the best thing also the bowling ball technology as in particle, pearl, and reactive balls its fascinating in seeing all the new balls that come out

I didn't when I lived in the UK, but emigrating here in late 2004 meant that I had no social contacts anymore so I had to go out and make new ones and bowling was one of the first things I was invited to.

I find it a very pleasant evening with likeable people, plus there's a few beers in it as well. Suits me :)

The Spanner said:
I only bowl because I cant do what I used to be able to do on the golf course anymore.

And what was that spanner.

i bowl cause it's one of the things i'm good at besides indoor hockey.

Chris

i stopped bowling in 01 after 11 years was only taking 6 months off and that has turned into 4 and a half years but at the start of this year a feriend of mine got m to go have a bowl and I was again hooked i love the game by with all the politics in the sport I doubt I wouild ever go back into tournaments will stick too the leauge I haev just joined

After reading all the posts that have been posted, I thought that I would give you my thoughts. I bowl because I have a love for the sport of bowling. It is a great experience to meet new people and make new friends. I have found that I have made great friends from different tournaments that I have gone in. When I think about quitting bowling, there is just this inner passion that comes out and makes me wanna achieve more and more but with that, I have to put in more effort so that I can achieve it. The fun, excitement, and enjoyment plus more is what you get from bowling and I think that it has made me a better person inside and out! I have been bowling only 4 years and in those years, I think that I have achieved a lot that maybe you would be surprised of. All I know is I LOVE THE SPORT and couldn't go back to play any other sport out there.

Not knowing you, it would be still good having you come back to bowling because this post might start others inner passion and desire for bowling, come back and starting bowling again. That would be a great achievement to achieve.

Just my thoughts on it....

Well, ive been back into bowling for about 3 months now after a 18 month layoff. Previous to that I had bowled for approx 15 years i think with basically no break.

I had two main reasons for coming back ....... the fact that nationals were in tassie this year and the chance to bowl Rachuig in the home state was too enticing to say no to ........ and just as significantly i missed my mates ..... they were still mates and i still spoke to them, but i was out of the loop and not seeing them as much as wanted to ..... so the social side of things was a big part of it as well .....

The main reasons for giving up in the first place were financial, policitics and just lacking motivation i guess .....

Fantastic! All your feedback is greatly appreciated. I'm still trying to make up my mind, but please feel free to add more comments :D

Adrian

Back
Top Bottom