This is why warnie shouldnt have retired

Cam S

BEEEEEEEEEAVER
Shut it Shane, you miserable man: Murali

Alex Brown
November 15, 2007

AN IRATE Muttiah Muralitharan has branded Shane Warne a "miserable man" and vowed not to talk to him at the unveiling of the Warne-Muralitharan Trophy in Hobart today.

Muralitharan is furious over Warne's recent call for the Sri Lankan's controversial bowling action to be re-tested. Warne believes the International Cricket Council should devise a method to test the elbow flexion of bowlers during matches, as opposed to the current practice of laboratory testing.

Muralitharan last year consented to voluntary testing of his action at the University of Western Australia, and was found to bowl with an elbow flexion of 14.4 degrees, just within the ICC's legal limit. Critics, though, believe laboratory tests fail to simulate match conditions, prompting Warne's comments.

Muralitharan is convinced he is being unjustly persecuted by Warne, whom he suspects is merely upset that his Test wicket-taking record is about to be eclipsed. The Sri Lankan requires just seven more wickets to pass Warne's mark of 708, and could do so in his last Test appearance on Australian soil, beginning at Bellerive Oval tomorrow.

"I am very disappointed with what he said," Muralitharan told the Herald yesterday. "He can't keep his mouth shut because he wants to keep making these comments. He must be a miserable man in his life. But that is his opinion and there is nothing I can do about it.

"Maybe he just doesn't want me to pass his record. Why else would he keep saying these things? I will shake his hand [at the ceremony to unveil the Warne-Muralitharan Trophy] and go straight off the field instead of trying to be friendly."

Muralitharan was also critical of Terry Jenner, Warne's long-time mentor, who also called for the spinner's action to be tested in match conditions.

"Terry Jenner played cricket a long time ago and cricket is very different now," he said. "So it doesn't matter what he says. But Jenner and Warne are still always commenting, commenting, commenting … it makes them feel important."

Feelings between Warne and Muralitharan have often been tense, but the Sri Lankan's latest riposte is likely to sink relations to an all-time low.

In a recent interview with the Herald, Muralitharan revealed that, while grateful for Warne's charity work in the aftermath of the Asian tsunami, the spinners were not on good terms. Muralitharan has grown tired of what he believes to be Warne's constant insinuations that many of the Sri Lankan's Test wickets are cheap, because they came against Bangladesh and Zimbabwe.

Indeed, 163 of Muralitharan's 702 Test wickets have come against the two Test minnows, however the veteran spinner argues that he has no control over the Sri Lankan team's schedule. He has also pledged to continue playing Test cricket until he has claimed 1000 wickets which, to his mind, would end the argument.

Muralitharan was loath to predict whether he would seize Warne's record in Hobart, perhaps his final confrontation with the Australians in the Test arena.

"We'll see how it goes," he said. "I will just be trying my best to win the match."

When asked whether he now regretted consenting to the use of his name alongside Warne's for the new Test trophy, Muralitharan was non-committal.

"That was the decision between the boards of Sri Lanka and Australia," he said. "I cannot say anything else."

On a positive note, Muralitharan said he had been generally pleased with the reception he had received from Australian crowds this series, notwithstanding the occasional "no ball" and "chucker" taunt which has followed him since the Boxing Day Test of 1995.

Muralitharan said he had been spared the personal and profanity-laced abuse he had encountered on previous tours.

"There were some people so far who said the same old things, but that does not matter to me," he said. "There has not been a problem. Things have been good."
-------------------------------------------------------------------------
FFS warnie get out of retirement and keep bowling until this chucker retires deadset its a disgrace to cricket if this bloke holds the mantle of leading wicket taker long term. Hes a bent armed tosspot

arguement will never stop, Muralitharan is a chucker, his arm is bends more than it should, and his wrist does the same, in the first test they made comment that he started as a fast bowler, but could not hack it, so he went as a spinner.

Todays news report suggests Murali an Warne have kissed and made up.

lol, yeah most likely cause of the trophy and to show good spirit, but behind the cameras most likely very different

Could almost get flamed for this, but what the hell...

For over a decade, Aussies have been slamming Muli with being a chucker (hell, I think he is too) yet the International cricket board have still allowed the style, so he has continued to use it. If the board stated he couldnt use the Doosra, i'm sure a long time ago he would have. If I was Muli, I would have told the Australian cricketting public to go fork themselves along time ago. If he wants to tell Warne to stop whinging about it, I say good on him.

Lets look at it similar to the people that don't like Belmo/Osku's 2 handed delivery. It is still allowed, so they will continue to use it. People that don't like it that whinge about it can go jump.

Just a different viewpoint.

The frog in a blender comment pertains to Paul Adams. A spinner from South Africa who had a rather "unique" style.

Paul Adams was an awesome bowler... we need more frogs in blenders!!

As for Murali... cup of "harden the f**k up" anyone?

Macgill has bowled absolutely SH!T today.. dont know why ponting persisted with him for so long especially after consecutive overs in double figues

Back
Top Bottom