Adam Gilchrist Retires from Test Cricket:(:(

timmyg13

Tim Gregory
Australia's Adam Gilchrist was hailed as one of the greatest cricketers to have played the game after announcing he was ready to retire and end one of the sport's most revolutionary careers.

Gilchrist has announced the end was nigh on his brilliant career as the most prolific wicketkeeper in Test history and one of the game's most entertaining batsman, who was a key plank of Australia's golden era.

The Australian vice-captain announced his retirement at the end of the third day's play in the final Test against India at Adelaide Oval, which came just one day after he claimed the wicketkeeping record.

This Test will be Gilchrist's last and his final first-class match, but he will make his swansong during the triangular one-day series against India and Sri Lanka, which starts in February.

Gilchrist, 36, overtook South Africa's Mark Boucher on Friday and will aim to build on his 414 career dismissals from the 96 consecutive Tests since he made his Test debut, in 1999, which is also a record.

Opening batsman Matthew Hayden, who himself rates as a great of the game after scoring his 30th Test century, said he felt "incredibly privileged" to have played with Gilchrist for so long.

"He's been a remarkable Australian, he's held the baggy green in his hand with great pride and passion, great discipline, great work ethic," Hayden said.

"(He has been) a fantastic leader and had an ability to be able to change the game and that has made Adam one of the greatest players who has ever played the game.

"He'll be deeply, deeply missed ... greatness is what we've aspired to be in the Australian cricket team, and he's fulfilled everything that has been asked of him by all of his captains and as captain himself throughout that wonderful series in India, where we won the series 2-1."

However, his record-breaking moment came amid a series where he has at times struggled behind the stumps, dropping several catches during the second Test in Sydney and another on day one in this match.

While debate has raged for months how long he would continue in the game, he said he would announce his decision on his terms when he was good and ready.

Less than a day later, he announced he would retire on the Nine Network, but did not hold a press conference to elaborate on his decision.

In a statement issued through Cricket Australia, he said: "It is with great pride and happiness that I make the decision to retire from test and one-day cricket.

"I've come to this decision after much thought and discussion with those most important to me.

"My family and I have been fortunate to have had an amazing journey full of rich experiences throughout my career and are sincerely grateful to all who have helped make this stage of our lives so fulfilling."

Gilchrist made his first-class debut in the 1992-93 season for his native NSW, but with Phil Emery having a mortgage on the wicketkeeping position with the Blues, he decided to cross the country and pursue a career with Western Australia.

In a reversal of that situation, NSW's Brad Haddin, the understudy to Gilchrist, is now the favourite to take the gloves on a permanent basis in the Test and one-day team.

Gilchrist made his Test debut in Brisbane in 1999 and quickly emerged as one of the game's superstars.

He revolutionised the game as an attacking No.7 batsman who could change the course of a match. He has scored 5556 runs at 47.89, with a highest score of 204 not out and 17 centuries, several of them match-winning.

He captained Australia in five Tests in the absence of Steve Waugh and Ricky Ponting for three wins, a draw and a loss, and led the side to its breakthrough triumph in India in 2004.

Gilchrist's pending retirement continues a remarkable transition of the Australian team, which lost Shane Warne, Glenn McGrath, Justin Langer and Damien Martyn during last summer's whitewashed Ashes win.

Gilchrist will also be remembered as one of the greatest limited-overs players.

He led Australia to victory in the 1999, 2003 and 2007 World Cups as an attacking opening batsman, and scored 9297 runs at 36.03, with 172 the highest of his 15 centuries.

In an era where Australia's sportsmanship has also been questioned, Gilchrist also proved the exception.

He was championed for his decision to walk during the 2003 World Cup semi-final against Sri Lanka when it appeared he would be given not out, and always played for his team and for entertainment, as he repeatedly said he did not care for statistics.

Gilchrist informed his Australian teammates before play and Cricket Australia said he would not discuss his decision or career until after this match.

Australia were well behind India in the final Test, but Hayden said the home side was determined to ensure Gilchrist bowed out a winner.

"We've established a great platform in that today and look forward to the opportunity to establish new partnerships tomorrow which can help us win this Test match," Hayden said.

Sad day for australian cricket, even tho i feel he was pushed as he wanted to play till the next Ashes series.

I wish him all the best in the future and hope Haddin or who ever takes over can keep australia where they are

Yes he could go on, but if he feels its his time its his time. No doubt the greatest wicketkeeper batsmen of all time. I'm not surprised he has announced his retirement after all he is 36 years old with a young family. I think it will be great to see Brad Haddin finally get his chance to make his test debut. A sad day no doubt but it wasn't going to last forever. I understand he will continue to play ODI's so he's not yet lost to international cricket. On ya Gilly, what an unbelievable career!!

He has annouced his retirement from all forms so after the tri-series with india and sri lanka that will be it for Gilchrist. Yes it's a sad day and it's 5 players in less then 18 months to annouce retirement from the game.

Why would they push someone to retire? If the selectors don't think he's up to it, they just don't pick him anymore.

Congratulations to Gilly on his outstanding career. I think he's done enough to deserve a retirement!

Later Da Cowman!

my only disappointment was, i predicted him to be the first to score a 1day 200, other than that he has been a delight to watch how he has held himself and played over his career.

Sad to see him go but i suppose he wants to go while he's on top. Gilly will always be remembered for his honesty and sportsmanship.
Enjoy your time with your young family mate.
Alex

Back
Top Bottom