2007/8 Summer of Cricket Thread

missed out on it because of bowling but caught the highlights and the reply on fox sports. Amazing win better then the Adelaide ashes test

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=50uDEMi8kLY]Here[/ame] is the final over where Clarke took 3 wickets to beat India.

anyone got about 18 cartons of tissues deadset these Indians must be the poorest losers in world sport.

There were bad calls for both teams yet Anil the sook wants to have a cry and say they cost his side the win. If india had of been good enough they would have broken the Hayden - Jacques, Hayden- Hussey or the Hussey- Symonds partnership early and bowled australia out they couldnt do that so they werent good enough to win.

As for ole mate Harbhajan theres absoultely no room for racism in any sport and he deserves his 3 match ban.

Agreed there were bad decisions all round but to say they cost the win is ridiculous..

IF one of the decisions went the other way who knows what could have happened, another partnership could have formed, or other wickets fallen..

you cant live on IF's...

They all played under the same conditions and both teams had bad decisions made..

Umpires are only human after all and if there wasnt the 24752345 different replays, hawk eye, hot spot etc etc etc no-one would know any different...

I think you guys are all being a bit harsh. What if the bad decisions went the other way - would you feel the same way - i personally doubt it

Symonds was out on 30 - if that had been given i doubt the Aussies would have got anywhere near 300 let alone 463. This would mean India would likely have had a big first innings lead (probably!) and then been able to pressure Australia's second innings more

Point 2 - whilst trying to get the draw Dravid cops a shocker and is given out. If that was not given they may very well have saved the match and obtained the draw. Again we will never know that because he also could have gone out next ball anyway.

There were bad decisions both ways but the really bad ones all favoured Australia - i think India has every right to be peeved.

It still was a very exciting match though and i am glad the Aussies won - I just think we were pretty lucky.

I think you guys are all being a bit harsh. What if the bad decisions went the other way - would you feel the same way - i personally doubt it
Symonds was out on 30 - if that had been given i doubt the Aussies would have got anywhere near 300 let alone 463. This would mean India would likely have had a big first innings lead (probably!) and then been able to pressure Australia's second innings more
Point 2 - whilst trying to get the draw Dravid cops a shocker and is given out. If that was not given they may very well have saved the match and obtained the draw. Again we will never know that because he also could have gone out next ball anyway.
There were bad decisions both ways but the really bad ones all favoured Australia - i think India has every right to be peeved.
It still was a very exciting match though and i am glad the Aussies won - I just think we were pretty lucky.
I agree. I am as patriotic as anyone but I do feel the Indians got the short end of the stick with a few very questionable umpiring decisions. Sure, it happens to all teams, and probably in every match, but they had a couple of shockers go against them and I believe the match could have had a very different outcome if even one bad decision (Symonds) had gone their way instead.
That being said, it was a bloody exciting finish, and at least we finally had a test go to the end of day 5.

Oh look I think we definately benefited from the umpires during the test, no doubt about that, but they were ordinary full stop Bucknor & Benson.
Bucknor, in my opinion, has been ordinary for quite a long time now.
But the way they've carried on, it's almost as if they're the only team that's ever been stiffed by sh*t umpiring.
They're the very last in the pile who can criticise about biased umpiring, ask any player who played in the sub-continent during the 80's and see what they have to say about the umpiring over there. ;)
The way India's thrown the toys out of the pram over the whole episode is an embarrassment.

Too be honest I hope these issues are resoled quickly. Despite the fact Australia won the first 2 tests, I think India, sore losers or not, are the closest team to challenge Australia and provide a very entertaining test series

Wow. What a thread. It's great to see so much passion in the game of cricket. Times like this need people with cool heads. It's only a game! We can agree or disagree but the ultimate call should be fair playing ground for all players. Most teams struggle playing against Australia and the last thing they need is bad calls going their way.
Now for the truth.... Put your self in Rahul's shoes. You are struggling to maintain your position in the team and you get a shocker. How will you react? Will you admire Rahul for shaking his head and walking away or will you admire Punter for his tantrum?
When you're on your way to 16 in a row and you have few more minutes to pull out one of the greatest game ever in history,you're a very desperate man especially when you did not bat well this series. You're not thinking straight Punter :D Any cricket player that saw the manner how Rahul was given out will protest themselves. The umpires made several crucial bad decisions that cost the Indians the game. Just like how the Melbourne Storm was robbed :p
Calling someone a monkey on the field and getting banned for THREE TEST matches. Isn't that over reacting?
But to can the tour is a bad call. I hope common sense will prevail in this matter. After all it's only a game ;)
Cheers,
Alex

Calling someone a monkey on the field and getting banned for THREE TEST matches. Isn't that over reacting?
No, not at all. Firstly there's history, Harbhajan has ignited fires like this in the past and obviously not learned from those mistakes.

The sport has taken a zero tolerance stance to racism, therefore you have to be harsh.

Football (Soccer that is) has taken a similar stance with swearing. Locally, we can issue a red card without warning for swearing on the football pitch. In the A-League, that would equate to a ban and accumulate some penalty points...

I must say though that I thought the umpiring was lacking a lot, but it wasn't entirely to the benefit of Australia. Sure, Roy being not given was a pretty big one but they had a few batsmen not given LBW plumb... And I recall seeing Ponting flying for a catch in bat/pad that was off the finger not given.

And I thought it was a bit stupid of Kumble to complain that the Australians ignored the pre-series agreement on low catches. Our boys stood their ground a moment and waited to be given. Was it Ganguly who stood his ground and argued, then was given and still stood his ground, and eventually walked up past the pitch to argue some more before turning and heading off?

Get on with it boys, the match referee made his decision. Appeal that to the ICC fine, but blackmailing with a series boycott is terrorism... :p

he grounded that ball....so did clark near the end of the match
That's reasonable enough that I'm not going to argue it, because you're right he did, but he had control of it quite clearly before using his hand to land on the hard surface.

A few years ago that would've been unquestionably caught.

he grounded that ball....so did clark near the end of the match
Tyson my man hehe. Ponting grounded the ball yes but his face hit the ground at the same time. Pup's catch was out it didn't hit the ground as you would of seen dirt fly up off the ground. thats all i have to say.

Back
Top Bottom