Lankans in turmoil

Cam S

BEEEEEEEEEAVER
Sri Lanka selector ignores 'joker' remark

Sri Lanka's chief selector Asantha de Mel declined to comment after being called a "joker" by senior batsman Marvan Atapattu during the first Test in Brisbane.

"I do not want to comment and I want to ignore his comments. All that I am keen as the chief selector is to see Sri Lankan batsmen save the Test," de Mel told AFP.

Sri Lanka are struggling to salvage a draw in the first Test in Brisbane after seeing Australia declare on 4-551 and then getting all out for 211 in their first innings.

The 36-year-old opening batsman on Saturday blamed the selectors for the team's current woes.

"Sri Lanka cricket at this moment of time is not going in the direction it should be going, especially with a set of muppets (selecting the team) headed by a joker," Atapattu said.

"I don't give credit to the way they have handled selections. If they had handled selections properly we should have a good back-up team.

"For some reasons we don't, and at the age of 37-38 people have to come and play for Sri Lanka when it comes to tough tours like this. If selectors are there only for going on tours and getting perks it is a waste of time."

Atapattu has been lashing out at the selectors since the March-April World Cup in the Caribbean, where he did not play a single match despite being in the squad.

He was also ignored for the one-day series against Pakistan in Abu Dhabi in May and he pulled out of a three-Test home series against Bangladesh in June saying he was not mentally prepared to play Test cricket.

He was not selected in the original squad for the Australian tour, but was brought in as the 17th member following the intervention of the country's sports minister, Gamini Lokuge.

The veteran, who returned to the Test side after nearly two years, scored a gutsy 51 in the first innings in Brisbane and has 16 centuries in Test cricket.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------

Things dont look good for the tourist with Starvin Marvan firing up like that.
Why would they send him to a press confrence they must of know he was a bit peed off.

They should have stayed home after the embarrassing defeat they suffered.. even with the rain stopages they couldnt last :lol:

They should have stayed home after the embarrassing defeat they suffered.. even with the rain stopages they couldnt last :lol:
1 test down I wouldn't start underestimating them. They're a talented side and I expect a closer game in Hobart. The Aussies will still win though and they'll be set to smash India 4-nill

Where the heck is Malinga? Is he injured, is he going to play at all in the series? That was their problem, Murali held up his end but their pace boys just didn't get the job done at all, particularly Fernando. If they can get Malinga back, he should provide some spark hopefully!

australia had a bowl off with Mcgill and Hogg to decide the spinner in the aussie side

maybe sri lanka should have done the same Fernando lacked penertration

I think Australia still need to find another glen or shane, as Brett Lee is hit and miss. India will put up a better fight and I am starting to see us beeing found wanting. Our Batting is fine, I think Hogg could be the answer. Sri Lanka will hit back in Hobart

i think differently hammer, as australia's most experienced bowler now, he might start to show some more maturity and economy. another glen/shane probably won't come for some time, but in the meanwhile i can't wait to see brett lee at the end of this summer cricket season. im sure there will be a difference.

Stuart Clarke.... Cmon someone give that man some credit.... he was behind mcgrath and lee and i think he could take the place of a glen mcgrath.... he is line and length what you need in a tall pase bowler, he is a tad predicatable but isnt any bowler... he will grind all day... like he did against i think it was india over there... and also against the poms... he is a quality bowler... mcgill shouldnt of had the call up and personally not hogg... why dont the selectors take a risk for one and put a young 21 to 25 year old spinner in... they did that for warne and look what happened...

australian cricket will always be strong..... but give young guys a chance...

Where the heck is Malinga? Is he injured, is he going to play at all in the series? That was their problem, Murali held up his end but their pace boys just didn't get the job done at all, particularly Fernando. If they can get Malinga back, he should provide some spark hopefully!

They picked Vaas ahead of him because he could swing it in all conditions. Unfortantely for him, he was unable to.

Interestingly though, that implies that the Dilhara "Pie-thrower" Fernando was always getting a game in the first test.

They need to bring Malinga in, however that will still trouble Murali as Malinga is just as expensive as the rest of them.

Result of the first test flattered the Aussies slightly. I don't think they are an inning better then the Sri Lankans. Truth be told, Murali troubled ALL of our batsmen and with an ounce of luck (or good fielding), the Australians could've been in all sorts of trouble at stumps on day 1.

As they say, CATCHES WIN MATCHES!

Stuart Clarke.... Cmon someone give that man some credit.... he was behind mcgrath and lee and i think he could take the place of a glen mcgrath.... he is line and length what you need in a tall pase bowler, he is a tad predicatable but isnt any bowler... he will grind all day... like he did against i think it was india over there... and also against the poms... he is a quality bowler... mcgill shouldnt of had the call up and personally not hogg... why dont the selectors take a risk for one and put a young 21 to 25 year old spinner in... they did that for warne and look what happened...

australian cricket will always be strong..... but give young guys a chance...

Mate.... Clarke is a poor mans Glenn McGrath. He will never replace him, nor is that his aim!!

As for the spin issue.. what do Cameron White and Nathan Hauritz have in common? THey are both 'rated' young spinners who cannot spin the ball....

It is for that reason alone the selectors over look them. They don't have the accuracy or patience of an Anil Kumble.

I think everyone needs to realize that Shane Warne and Glenn McGrath are once in a generation bowlers who can't be replaced and Australia has been spoilt to have them in the same team at the same time for so long. Stuart Clark is not the next Glenn McGrath and MacGill is not the next Shane Warne, they are simply the next best thing. Even with McGrath and Warne retired, they still have the best attack in the world by a long way.

MacGill shouldnt get a game for australia..

Care to name someone who should?

We were spoilt with S.K Warne.
Very rarely do you get an economical spinner who takes tickets at will.

A. Kumble is another, but he has had the advantage of Indian wickets.

Great spinners don't come along everyday. I may not be a fan of MacGill, but he is better then most of the spinners currently operating. Name some spinners who are better then him!!

The sad thing... the newest spinner on the block in state cricket recently turned 35.

Care to name someone who should?
We were spoilt with S.K Warne.
Very rarely do you get an economical spinner who takes tickets at will.
A. Kumble is another, but he has had the advantage of Indian wickets.
Great spinners don't come along everyday. I may not be a fan of MacGill, but he is better then most of the spinners currently operating. Name some spinners who are better then him!!
The sad thing... the newest spinner on the block in state cricket recently turned 35.

agreed, warnie is a a rare talent.

i think its time to start with new talent.

Even would have been happier with hogg bowling..

Just not a fan of macgill at all.

There are plenty of part time spinners in the aussie team that could have done the same job macgill did.

but hey its just my opinion :p

I also would have preferred Brad Hogg as not only is he in career best bowling form, but he is just as talented as Warnie with the bat where MacGill is a genuine 10 or 11. MacGill's problem was he was born at the wrong time. If he bowled in another era than Warne, no doubt he would have been one of the all time greatest wicket takers. I dont like MacGill but he deserves his chance

Back
Top Bottom