STIKEZONE or AMF

Status
Not open for further replies.
Lots of people have been close to 300 at Strikezone, unless its just your particular style that makes the place looked ditched.
And lets go into detail about why 'The Man' sold it...

No its a ditch, look at National's scores, come down here to SA and try to shoot that, I adds around 10 - 20 pins on your average, I bowled s%@t house at Nats, (Mostly because I was a s%@t house bowler at the time :lol:) and I still averaged 198, or something like that and I don't think Andrew would appreciate me telling a whole lot of juniors why he sold Strikezone so I'll put it this way; he wouldn't just sell something that hes been trying to build for years for a job as Kuwait's National coach...

I also bowled s**t at nats, and its my home centre!
Until shield that was...
Anyway, I know the reasons behind the sale and all that, which is why I said in my another one of my posts here we wont go into why he sold it.
Thank You

micky_macca said:
*rowey* said:
01kay said:
Strikezone is a ditch, heck I almost bowled a 300 there so it must be a ditch and Frawls sold it becasue of more personal reasons then a coaching job in Kuwait... :?
Strikezone a ditch??? Strikezone rocks. Besides, they have changed the oiling patterns a bit now so that there is a tougher shot. :?

Rowan, Im quite sure he means ditch as in a ditch to the pocket, a very easy scoring centre. Not a bad centre.
My bad. Must u always be right. Of course, Michael James lol. :p

But AMF since being sold may be a good thing, perhaps they will market thier product better, may even decrease thier prices( LOL).

while this would be great, i could see prices dropping. the company who now owns AMF australia also own Dreamworld up here on the gold coast... and if i recall an adult day pass costs about $50... so if that's anything to go by....

we can dream, we can wish, we can all hope and we can even pray for cheaper games... we'll just have to see in 2005.

Perhaps the new owners of AMF Australia should look at investing some time and funds into thorough economic research. Having done Economics at University I can certainly see it being a benefit to AMF and to bowlers both social and league/tournament.

It's a pretty simple concept. It's basically the Market Demand vs Price model. What this model shows is at what point market demand drops off as the price increases. There is a critical point at a tangent to this line which dictates an efficient price. AMF need to look at market drivers and cost-benefit analysis as well.

I understand the fact that AMF incurs fairly high costs in terms of marketing, wages, maintenance, leases and numerous other costs. However - that can't be the only excuse for putting prices up all the time. If you keep increasing prices people aren't going to bowl as much. This is especially true in the social bowler category. AMF may possibly have to look at making a short term loss (or greater than present loss) over the next couple of years in order to build up their bowler numbers, both socially and league wise. Unless bowler numbers increase, this industry in this country will not be successful enough in the future. The number of games racked up per day here is down a long way on what they were even 10-12 years ago. To be totally honest the number of games on average is pretty sad compared to what it used to be.

I think that many bowling centres have priced themselves out of the market. The public in general will not consistantly pay the prices they are charging. Inflation is no excuse for the magnitude of the price increase over the last few years. The answer to boosting the bottom line in this situation is not increasing prices. AMF needs to take a very hard look at their current direction and where they want to be in the future - and I don't mean next year. I'm talking 5 years to 10 years. Going on current trends I would be worried about the economic future of bowling. The sport won't die but if this issue is not addressed then I fear that it could do major damage to the sport and to be honest the sport is not all that healthy now.

Timmee, your making a lot of sense.
A recent quote from one of the industry leaders in a recent Bowlers Journal magazine; " THE MOST EXPENSIVE THING IN A BOWLING CENTRE IS AN EMPTY LANE "
You still have to pay wages etc.
willey.

Timmee said:
Perhaps the new owners of AMF Australia should look at investing some time and funds into thorough economic research. Having done Economics at University I can certainly see it being a benefit to AMF and to bowlers both social and league/tournament.

It's a pretty simple concept. It's basically the Market Demand vs Price model. What this model shows is at what point market demand drops off as the price increases. There is a critical point at a tangent to this line which dictates an efficient price. AMF need to look at market drivers and cost-benefit analysis as well.

I understand the fact that AMF incurs fairly high costs in terms of marketing, wages, maintenance, leases and numerous other costs. However - that can't be the only excuse for putting prices up all the time. If you keep increasing prices people aren't going to bowl as much. This is especially true in the social bowler category. AMF may possibly have to look at making a short term loss (or greater than present loss) over the next couple of years in order to build up their bowler numbers, both socially and league wise. Unless bowler numbers increase, this industry in this country will not be successful enough in the future. The number of games racked up per day here is down a long way on what they were even 10-12 years ago. To be totally honest the number of games on average is pretty sad compared to what it used to be.

I think that many bowling centres have priced themselves out of the market. The public in general will not consistantly pay the prices they are charging. Inflation is no excuse for the magnitude of the price increase over the last few years. The answer to boosting the bottom line in this situation is not increasing prices. AMF needs to take a very hard look at their current direction and where they want to be in the future - and I don't mean next year. I'm talking 5 years to 10 years. Going on current trends I would be worried about the economic future of bowling. The sport won't die but if this issue is not addressed then I fear that it could do major damage to the sport and to be honest the sport is not all that healthy now.

Most sensible post I've ever read on these forums - enough said.

I am always interested to learn from the posts of our most important customers, namely our League bowlers and gain some insight into their perceptions. After all it would be a silly proprietor that would not listen to the opinions of their customers. From a BowlAustralia perspective there is a significant difference in expectations between a casual bowler and a League Bowler. The League bowler is committed to the Sport; spends a significant amount of money on League Play, Tournaments and Practice and generally bowls year in and year out - some as many as 20 games per week. The social bowler is generally out to enjoy a great leisure experience (and unless they develop a passion for the Sport) will bowl 3 - 6 games per year. We have always believed that the price break needs to benefit our best (league) customers - hence BowlAustralia offer a League Practice Card of $17-50 for 5 games of Practice available Sundays thru Thursdays. This amounts to $3-50 per game which really takes us back to 1980 prices. League prices have historically only ever increased in line with inflation and prize payouts for Tournaments generally return a 1 in 2 payout. I believe that the decline in League play is more a lifestyle thing than a money thing. It is difficult to gain a commitment from a bowler to a 40 week schedule, although, there are certainly enthusiast leagues that enjoy such a schedule. I think further that the REAL issue here is 'experience' -this can be either good or bad depending upon the standard of service; operation of equipment and lane conditions; food and beverage quality; and facility maintenence. If we get these matters RIGHT then price per game becomes less of a factor. If, however, we get these matters wrong then the 'value for money experience' becomes a major issue.

Ilive2bowl, welcome to the thread, I'm sure you believe in what your saying, but most people don't expect a game to cost more than $5, and frankly there is no reason on earth why it should.
One has to remember that all your league bowlers were probably social bowlers at one time, so to think that you have two distinct groups is nonsense.
Now to charge someone $10 bucks to bowl 1 game, that only takes 10 mins is madness, $1 a frame. Admittidly the game becomes cheaper if you bowl more, but to me that is like donging someone on the head and saying wrong answer, we don't want you to bowl 1 game. I think it should be like the old days 1 game 1 price, than it's easier for everyone concerned, just imagine, a group come in, never bowled before, they only want 1 game to try it, they get penalised.
If you hav'nt got all your lanes going every night, than you are obviously charging too much, you need to bring down the prices untill the demand is there, if you only charge $5 a game and you have a typical 24 lane centre, than the place can run at 120 games an hour, at $5 a game = $600 an hour, if moderately busy 3 hours a shift than you turn over $3600 a day, if a busy centre 4 hours per shift, $4800 a day, just in bowling revenue. this more than covers Staff wages and overheads. But if you have a couple of lanes sitting earning no revenue, you got a problem, it just averaged down your $ per game.
I'm afraid too many independant centres have held on to the coattails of AMF and priced thier games accordingly, unfortunately AMF got it all wrong, that is why all those centres outside the major capitals have been struggling for years, and are now closed, sold off or in the process of being sold off, this is not something that has happened over night, it has happened over a few years, AMF put up the prices twice in 6 months just before the GST, they should have put down the prices by the amount the GST was going to increase the prices.
Everybody that worked in AMF knew the prices were mad, unfortunately they were being told what to charge by the USA, with thier only concern, to make the company appear more profitable, so that it will sell. AMF was owned by an investment company, whose sole purpose was to make money, by hook or by crook.
AMF USA have a lot to answer for, thank god they have gone.
willey.

That feels better.

Jl, $50 dollars for the whole day of bowling," wow" where do you sign up, sounds good to me, considering they now charge a $1 a minute, $60 an hour, $960 a day.
willey.

Here's just a little thought in my head.

Should AMF have a direct price across all states in Australia, or should the prices be based around what the average earnings of a person is?

How some states are a bit more expensive to live in than others, is it fair for all people to pay whatever is charged in the "richer" states?

This is just a thought thrown in for discussion, not a personal opinion as such. Would be interesting to get a few peoples views of it - preferably views of both proprietors and of bowlers :)

Luke.

Taking the subject of prices a step further let me say if it were ONLY a question of price, I am sure that most proprietors would trade price against increased volume. However, my experience over operating Centres in excess of 30 years is that it is NOT price alone that determines volume. Sure it is a contributory factor BUT not the only factor. Some months ago we opened one of our Centres on a Sunday for FREE bowling. We advertised this fact for weeks in the local press and radio. Our expectations were that the Centre would be filled to overflowing as there were no restrictions. Let me say that whilst the volume was good we calculated that if we charged $3-50 per game for the number of games bowled we would have been marginally in front of our normal Sunday volume at our normal price. Now to a bowler this is weird but to a non-bowler (looking for entertainment) this is not so strange. In order to provide a standard of service and facilities that is appropriate and competitive with other forms of Leisure it is an economic fact that price credibility needs to be maintained - otherwise there won't be too many Centres around for too long. On the subject of AMF let me say having worked with that Company for 10 years, prices were (to my knowledge) always set in Australia. AMF like any other Proprietor needs to run their Centres as a business. Pricing is never set in an arbitrary manner but is based upon games mix (and their sensitivities) as well as research. It is designed to try to satisfy the expectations of all classes of customers as well as operating costs which do vary from area to area. Other than in Asia (where there are very few leagues and high volume due to population densities) the average Australian bowling price is much in line with bowling prices elswhere in the world. Your interest in this topic is much appreciated!

ilive2bowl said:
Some months ago we opened one of our Centres on a Sunday for FREE bowling.

Roy - would you have got more people through the door if you had advertised games for $1 instead of FREE. My thinking is that perhaps the customers may have been "suspicious" of FREE GAMES. After all, there is no such thing as free (at least in the customers eyes), even if it truly is.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom