State champs late entry, Rachuig - the story...

Hey everyone,
for the people who don’t know me, I’m Scott Miles and I have been banned from rolling off for the Rachuig team this year, due to me putting in my entry for state champs late. I have also been accused of telling people that I was allowed to submit a late entry. Just so everyone is aware, I hadn't actually told anyone about this, but seeing as though I have apparently told people already, I may as well now tell everyone!

I was NOT aware that state champs had been brought forward this year. None of the centers that I bowl league in at that time had entry forms out and I also did not have the privilege of internet at home. So consequently, I hadn't been on Total for a while. Anyway, the Friday night after the cut off date for state champs I received a phone call at the Woodville Bowl where I was bowling league. I was informed that TBA were in the process of going through entry forms and it came to their attention that I didn't have one in. I informed them that I was not even aware the state champs were on again so soon. I was then asked if I wanted to bowl, and if yes, I would be given the benefit of the doubt. I was placed and then told that I was in a team on opening night and they would find me a doubles partner as well. I thanked them very much for the opportunity, bowled state champs and did not think anymore of it.

So, 2 weeks ago I received an e-mail telling me that something had been brought to TBA's attention and that I was to have a meeting with them. I organized a time but unfortunately had to cancel because of a job interview. So I re-scheduled the meeting and when I turned up at the head office there was a post-it stuck to the door telling me sorry, but the meeting has been cancelled. I found out later that the meeting was in regard to the fact that I had missed the entry date, BUT the issue they had was that I was APPARENTLY bragging about it to other bowlers. Which I had not!

2 days later I received a letter in the mail that simply said that after failed attempts to meet, they made the decision that I would no longer be eligible to roll off for Rachuig BUT my state champ scores would not be affected.

So, to recap - I did not have my entry in on time – THEY OFFERED ME A SPOT TO BOWL STATE CHAMPS – I bowled state champs - PEOPLE STARTED TALKING – they cancelled my meeting - I AM NOT ELIGIBLE TO BOWL RACHUIG – they’re keeping my scores (so technically I have a state champ entry) – I SHOULD BE ALLOWED TO BOWL!

I am not angry because I can’t bowl. I understand that the late entry should have resulted in my not being able to roll off. What I don’t understand is all the commotion that has come about because THEY offered me the spot anyway, and are now just covering their own ass by making all this my fault!

The question I put to TBA was “if no-one had questioned my late entry, would this now even be an issue?”

For those of you that heard about this, I would like to know who, how and when you found out.

Scott,

Seems as though someone has stuffed up terribly not only with your personal involvement, but for the sake of their own Rachuig team. I hope something can be worked out, because they will be missing a quality bowler. I can't offer advice, but I can offer support!

All the best bud.

Interesting story scott, and yes I did hear that someone did this and you just confirmed who it was.
First of all no-one rang me and said I haven't got my entries in for state titles, you must be special for that to happen.
Secondly for you not known that the state titles were on early then you obviously don't bowl with anyone else that this concerns, because it was widely known.
Third I think it was a bit rude for them to not keep any meeting's with you and speak to you in person.
Fourth If they are keeping your state title entries as valid scores then as far as bowling Rachuig the rule states you must have bowled state titles all events so they MUST except your nomination.
It seems to me they are forever trying to cover there behind.
it's bad enough having the rule in there in the first place because bowling state titles means absolutely JACK!
I have tried before and after to get exemption from State Titles only to get the big fat NO by a committee that I thinks really doesn't exists.
I don't have a problem with you bowling, we need all the people we can get but TBASA insists on attracting no-one because of politics.
Cheers
Tony

Scottie

I almost couldn't believe my eyes when I saw this. They get you to bowl champs, submit a late entry for you, you pay up and bowl your nine games, then once it becomes public knowledge, TBA call you and tell you that you're banned from rolling off for Rachuig.....Sounds like someone screwed up pretty badly and is trying to cover up the tracks desperately......

Good on ya for voicing this idiocy. Perhaps we can have one of the members of TBA(SA) post here and explain themselves. Lets take a bit of ownership.

If they accepted your 'hard earned' money (in quotation marks for humour dude, you know it's nothing personal!!) for State Champs entry, then withdrew your eligibility to bowl Rachuig, I think at the very least you should GET MONEY BACK that you had to shell out.....

After all. The only reason most of us bowl Champs is so we are eligible to bowl Rachuig for the state.

Good luck buddy.

Scotty,

I 1st heard the rumour about a week after the State Championships from a couple of different sources. Just in general conversation that they had heard someone had recieved a phone call on the Friday after closing date. No names were mentioned as to who the bowler was.

When you got the phone call on the Friday, unless you were told they would accept your State Championship entry but you werent eligible for Rachuig trials because of the late entry, I feel you should be able to bowl.
I certainly dont have a problem with you bowling.

In the past Rachuig roll-offs have always been before State Champs. Trials March or April and State Champs in July. And if you bowl trials in March or April but dont bowl State Champs in July you are not eligible to participate in Rachuig trials the following year. It would be interesting to find out when the decision was made to put the State Championships before the Rachuig roll-offs this year. If the decision to move State Championships was made after State Champs 2006 the original rule would have still been in place at the time of the 2006 State Championships.

If you dont participate in the 2006 State Championships in July you will be in-eligible for Rachuig roll-offs in 2007. If you did bowl 2006 State Champs (which i'm sure you did Scott) then you are eligible for the 2007 Rachuig trials.

I believed, at the time, as most bowlers did i'm sure that by bowling State Championships in July 2006 I was eligible for 2007 Rachuig Trials.
If we were made aware last year before State Championshps that the 2007 State Championships were to be moved to a month prior to Rachuig roll-offs & you had to bowl in the 2007 State Champs to roll-off a month later for Rachuig, i'm sure a lot of people wouldnt have bowled State Championship last year. No point.

Im sure they made there decision to accept your entry under the old "The Tournaments Committee's decision is final" clause.
Now there've been caught with there pants down. Now there in damage control & trying to save face.

Maybe a quick phone call to TBA head office early Friday morning for some advice might be in order.

Rob

People are human, mistakes happen and something might be resolved/negotiated. It is a pity for Scott to be in this position
I have one major issue here. Was Scott the only one asked or called?
I have supported TBASA in a number of ways yet received no phone call (they may have been aware of my unavailability through other communications but i doubt it). How many other contributers did not receive a call? How many other bowlers did not receive a call? Due to this and other issues I feel very used by the committee at the moment and am finding it hard to be supportive.
Those who have read my previous posts know that I do understand the difficult role of the committee/board/management team and I have tried to be supportive (and hopefully provided the odd occassional balanced comment). However, the actions referred to here leave TBASA open to accusations of favouritism. It could also bring future actions into question.
At the start of the post I said that mistakes happen. I still believe that we need to support the people who have put their hands up to organise the sport in SA. However, I think that this issue needs to be directly addressed by TBASA in a public and open manner in the earliest possible timeframe. Failure to do so will (in my not so humble opinion) leave questions unanswered that will fester in the minds of many.
Des

These are some of the exact reasons why I dont even bother with state champs & Rachuig. A lot of political crap. In the current format & with same sort of people running things we will never win the nationals & never get the best team this state has to offer.

I point I like to refer to des is you said
I still believe that we need to support the people who have put their hands up to organise the sport in SA.

You right Des but it goes both ways, about time TBASA start supporting its paying members and ALL tournament that are sanctioned by TBA not just there own run tournaments.

Cheers

Tony

Was Scott the only one asked or called?

I'm not on the committee, so I don't know. But seeing as how Scott was defending champion of the State Masters title, it would seem safe to assume that Scott's missing entry would have stood out like dog's balls to the tournament directors. How else could he have had the chance to defend it?

Might I point out that Tony was not offered an exemption due to ATBSO committments, so it can only appear that there is a bit of favouritism in play, or 'I DON'T LIKE THIS PERSON, SO HE/SHE DOESN'T DESERVE AN EXEMPTION, REGARDLESS OF MY EXPLANATION'. I'm sure a roll-off for another national tournament would normally be enough of an excuse to get an exemption.

Sound reasoning Chin and Tony, under the previous year's rules, Scott should be entitled to bowl.

I haven't heard a TBA(SA) member come forward and take ownership of the mess they have created yet, will that ever happen?

And while I'm at it, can I pose another question. (AND I HAVE THE UTMOST RESPECT FOR THESE GUYS, PLEASE DON'T TAKE MY COMMENTS PERSONALLY) The next statement in no way disrespects these guys, they're fantastic bowlers in their own rights. If I was half the bowler these two guys are, then I'd be a little more accomplished as a bowler.

But if the person in question was (and I really hate mentioning names) Dion or Matty K or few others, would we even have this thread started??

I realise these comments may incur the wrath of a few people, but I know people are thinking these thoughts, so I thought it had to be said. I'm just trying to see this from the majority's point of view.

Awaiting the daggers.......Michael

Just a reminder that these comments are to be viewed as CONSTRUCTIVE CRITICISM, NOT A PERSONAL ATTACK ON ANYBODY.

Very hard to make comments like these and someone not take your head off for it.

Thanks

Your right Michael,

You shouldn't mention names!

You may plead that it does not disrespect the two bowlers,but you go ahead and drag there good names thru the mud....not on Tim :confused: :confused:

Paul K.

No worries, Paul.

Speaking of dragging names through the mud, you might wanna offer a word of apology to my brother... Tim has nothing to do with this thread mate.

All direct comments are to be made at me.

What makes you think any of my comments were made directly at Matty and Dion? Read between the lines. So many people are good at doing that.

Like I said, the guys are fantastic bowlers who hold their own on plenty of occasions. I'm just saying that some bowlers are treated a little differently by the hierachy than others.

Just some food for thought.

Michael Tran

what a strange few days of events......

i am lead to believe that mr scott miles will be turning up in just a few hours to roll off for rachuig..

GOOD LUCK SCOTTY!!! hope you kill it this weekend..

and paul, michael is right, none of this would have been brought to any ones attention had it been either of the guys mentioned... its a simple case of depending who you are, depends on how you are treated..

its the way things go especially here in sa.... and trust me when i say, i know that certain people get treated differently for different reasons... be it past or present.. it will ALWAYS happen here... well til things change anyway.. and that wont happen...

good luck all for roll offs.. may we have the best team in melbourne....
marty

I think scotty needs to be given some credit to have the balls to come on total and post this. after all the politics that go on in our state's bowling, it good to see someone stick up for themselves and take a risk. i mean TBA will surely not look favourably at this thread, and scott will probably only find himself further in the 'bad books'.

but i say well done for bringing this to everyone's attention. its proof that there ARE people that are favoured in bowling. (in general, not just the people mentioned) i mean if an unknown bowler from, say, whyalla had won state champs and not nominated the year after... would TBA have cared enough to ring them? the fact that scott was called raises all sorts of questions in itself. but on the other side, if TBA turn on you.. like they did with scott....look out.....

this shouldnt happen. everyone should be EQUAL and the rules that are set should be FOLLOWED and need to apply to all....

and where is TBA having its say??? good to see our governing body is right here replying and giving the bowlers faith in the sport... NOT.....

but all that aside, i hope scott makes the team EASILY... so TBA can see that playing favourites and altering the rules at will is costing this state the success it deserves.

all the best scotty... look forward to seeing your name at the top of the sheet.
Peter Oliver

Good to see Scott was allowed to bowl. Decision must have obviously come from the TBA national body. Certainly we cant rely on our own state body to make the right decisions.

Cheers

Tony

Well, the right decision was made in the end, it's just so sad that it had to happen this way.

Let's hope from now on TBASA are 'straight up' with their members and that no favours are paid to ANYONE, regardless of their talent or status.

The truth WILL come out in the end.

At least today Lyn Alexander delivered an explanation to the squads (and I commend her for doing so)....more than I have heard on this forum. A lot of problems have carried on from the previous person in office, and even from the one before that....and being only a couple of months at the helm and having something like this catastrophe happen....must have been tough to have to deal with it.

See you all tomorrow.....Michael Tran

As much as I agree with you Michael, and even if Lyn did deliver a explanation just to the people that bowled today, what about the people that didn't. There are also more of us out there that pay the $20 membership.

I still not convinced that things will just blow over from today, still plenty of answers are need. I am also still not convinced re the Selection committee and who and what they stand for. There is still too much conflict of interest out there, and too much possible buddy , buddy we know who we are going to select if they dont make the top 5. But thats another story.
Good luck to who's bowling, gonner need it.

cheers

Tony

what about the people that didn't. There are also more of us out there that pay the $20 membership.

I still not convinced that things will just blow over from today, still plenty of answers are need.

I agree with you Tony, I just can't help but feel sorry for Lyn Alexander here. She's gone into a job that's clearly had existing problems....and she's gonna cop most of the flack that will result from this latest saga. I believe she's doing the best she can.

But you're right mate. There's still a heck of a lot of unanswered questions and a few people need to start taking ownership.

Back
Top Bottom